Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 11:43 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I would not live in Orange County and have a commute on the 405 to zip 90066 / Mar Vista area. Torrance is probably the furthest south I would look at living. There are also homes in your budget in Lawndale: https://www.redfin.com/CA/Lawndale/4...0/home/6556981
I'd take a huge pass on Lawndale. Lakewood would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 12:32 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times
Is Westwood 90066? I think our office is in Westwood

Old 03-12-2021, 01:43 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Is Westwood 90066?
No, it isn't. Westwood is a little farther north.

Old 03-12-2021, 02:14 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No, it isn't. Westwood is a little farther north.
Westwood's zip code is 90024.

Old 03-12-2021, 04:54 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
OP really needs to look at Redfin or Realtor and do a search because I don't see any SFH in "nice areas" in their price range. Right now $1 million will barely get you a decent house in an average area, if even that. You're really talking about $1.2 million+ Anything cheaper is a condo.

I lived in the area for years so I know what OP is talking about as far as not wanting to live in LA itself. But prices have skyrocketed. It's not just going to be the commute that is an issue but affordability.
Depends on what you mean by "nice" Now close to LA, nope in OC, except for a few areas. Mid to south OC there are many the further you are from the beach. I have been looking as I live about 1 hour from OC and am interested in moving back. I work from home so commute is a non issue. Cost is not a major issue either.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:04 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,854,455 times
Quote:
Your office is in Westwood and you are looking to live in OC? No.

700 to 800k? Maybe the valley but you're looking at Granada Hills or Winnetka. If no kids, its not a bad option but it really depends on your tastes and expectations.

I know people who commute there from here but I can't say they love doing it.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:33 PM

45 posts, read 42,833 times
Quote:
Starting to research a potential move out west so I have some questions for you helpful Californians.

We are a couple in our late 30's living in NY. We are definitely used to 'expensive living' so financially that will not be a problem for us as we know CA isn't cheap.

My in-laws are down in SD. While SD is nice, there is no work for me there. All the work for me is in LA and even more of it is in NYC. My husband should be able to get a job anywhere in CA, I can only work in LA. I am also unsure what my company will do with offices - if we are planning to go back to offices, then I need to commute to LA but if we aren't and are planning to stay remote then it doesn't matter so much.

We spent an entire summer working remotely 2 years ago and ventured all over LA to scope it out for this move. We were not thrilled with it at all. Hollywood is run-down and gritty but even the outskirts we were not a fan of. Even places like Santa Monica, were just eh.

My husband suggested OC b/c of what we have heard it sounds 'nicer'. We have only been to Anaheim for the park, but haven't been inside it too much otherwise. We have driven through it on the 5 but it's hard to tell what a place is like just driving through it.

We would want to live ideally somewhere that is 'green' ... by the coast I guess? Not looking for a desert community (think, El Cajon, Inland Empire - we don't want that) ... but is there anywhere thats a commutable distance to LA and do you guys have public transportation? We have cars but if I could commute to LA via train, that would be ideal.

As far as schools, we may or may not need them. We have a son, he is 17 and in his last year of HS. He is teetering on the cusp of not graduating so he may or may not have to repeat 12th grade. I also don't know how soon we will be making this move. We may have him finish up college in NY and then make the move so we don't know if we'll need schools ... it's not too important the quality, most important would be bussing if we need to send him to school ... he doesn't drive yet and can't until his grades improve.

We like hiking and the beach. I like to run so ideally somewhere not too hilly, somewhere with a local park would be great. I think that's it, we're not too picky.

Anyone know a good spot to check out? We'll be back in CA in July to do more scoping. Thanks!

Edit: I realize LA is big. My current LA office is in 90066.

1.)
What you want doesn't exist.
If you want to work in the 90066 zip code of LA (and be in the office 3 - 5 days a week), you have to live in LA County. Period. Don't take the train. Your commute will be miserable. So just suck it up and live in LA, or find a job in OC, or stay put where you are now.

2.)
Your budget can work in LA County - but it will either be in a high crime neighborhood or in a faraway area that looks like El Cajon (hot, dry, and brown looking during the summer months). If you insist on buying, you will have to either accept those aforementioned facts or be willing to live in a condo (that is located in a nice area of LA, but has shared walls and maybe 1,000 sq ft of space). Lot's of people happily live like that. Empty nesters, small-sized families, young professionals, etc.

3.)
You seem very fixated on the "niceness" of the neighborhood. Understandable.
I'd recommend you start off by renting in Playa Vista (I don't think your budget would work for buying there. Playa Vista is like a smaller version of Irvine OC, located very close to your zip code. Super clean, super safe, very walkable.

Playa Del Rey is nearby. Not as nice as Playa Vista, but still overall nice. It's a little further away from your office.

Areas of the South Bay could also work for you. Again - you wouldn't be able to afford to buy a place, but I think renting first would make more sense. The furthest south you should consider is Manhattan Beach. El Segundo is OK as well.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:05 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,360 times
If you are working in 90066 and are willing to do commute, I assume commuting from a place like Camarillo a lot better than commuting from OC. Camarillo is nice, by the beach, and cheaper than LA

Old 03-21-2021, 07:57 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Quote:
No. Westwood is 90024. 90066 is close to LAX. If people are going to help you it is important to know where your office is going to be.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:15 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedUrbanist View Post
1.)
What you want doesn't exist.
If you want to work in the 90066 zip code of LA (and be in the office 3 - 5 days a week), you have to live in LA County. Period. Don't take the train. Your commute will be miserable. So just suck it up and live in LA, or find a job in OC, or stay put where you are now.

2.)
Your budget can work in LA County - but it will either be in a high crime neighborhood or in a faraway area that looks like El Cajon (hot, dry, and brown looking during the summer months). If you insist on buying, you will have to either accept those aforementioned facts or be willing to live in a condo (that is located in a nice area of LA, but has shared walls and maybe 1,000 sq ft of space). Lot's of people happily live like that. Empty nesters, small-sized families, young professionals, etc.

3.)
You seem very fixated on the "niceness" of the neighborhood. Understandable.
I'd recommend you start off by renting in Playa Vista (I don't think your budget would work for buying there. Playa Vista is like a smaller version of Irvine OC, located very close to your zip code. Super clean, super safe, very walkable.

Playa Del Rey is nearby. Not as nice as Playa Vista, but still overall nice. It's a little further away from your office.

Areas of the South Bay could also work for you. Again - you wouldn't be able to afford to buy a place, but I think renting first would make more sense. The furthest south you should consider is Manhattan Beach. El Segundo is OK as well.
Wow thank you. I am really quite surprised how expensive it is. I live on LOng Island now so I am no stranger to high price living. The difference here is you can get good homes in good areas for around $500k's or $600k's .. the big thing being how expensive taxes are also.

Maybe we can look @ some areas in LA also. My husband just thinks LA is trashy and mentioned orange.

Before WFH, I commuted an hour both ways via train so I don't mind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County