Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:32 PM

104 posts, read 446,955 times

Advertisements

Hi I am considering the undergrad business program at chapman and would like to know if it is any good. I am also appyling to marshall at sc, but does chapman even compare to sc? Anyone know of any other private schools that are good? I want to become a cpa, any info helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 04:33 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
ive heard lots of good things about chapman. its not the biggest or most prestigious school, but everything ive heard is positive

Old 01-16-2009, 08:37 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
I'm a Chapman alum. You'll be fine as a business major since George Argyros gives huge amounts of money to the school (they'll tell you in orientation that Argyros loves Chapman, so don't do anything to p*ss him off). Chapman's bread and butter is the business school, but its biggest claim to fame is the film school (they really, REALLY like to tout it as "The best film school that's not USC or UCLA"...whatever that means). Take as many classes with Don Booth as possible if you end up going to Chapman for business.

Personally, if you weren't going into a business or film-related field, I'd recommend going somewhere else. About half the student body is from someplace in Southern California, which means they all go home for the weekends. The school grounds are deathly quiet on the weekends beginning Friday at noon and lasting until Sunday around five or six in the evening. Chapman is the epitome of "weekend commuter school" so unless you have access to a car and can get off campus to find something to do, you'll be bored to tears. On the other hand, Thursday is usually the party night. Even if you're not religious, get involved with the Disciples on Campus (DOC). The school has a charter with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and the United Church of Christ (UCC), but its not a "religious school" by any means. DOC is pretty progressive and non-evangelical (Barack Obama is a member of the UCC if that gives you any indication of their politics). They're a pretty friendly and stable group of people and offer a casual service at the All Faiths Chapel on Wednesday nights.

If you plan on living on campus, avoid Glass and Henley. Glass's security system makes it harder to get into than Fort Knox and is more like an apartment than actual dorm, ditto Henley. Pralle-Sodaro is similar to Henley but there's a little bit more of a community there. The Morlans (North and South) are old, but probably give you the best "college dorm" experience on campus. They're also the cheapest in terms of cost.

If you're a male, I'd recommend pledging the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity (tell 'em Chubby No Bath sent you) or the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority if you're a female (about 80% of Chapman females are in the greek system). As chastised as the greek system is, its probably your best bet for entertainment options and whatnot since Orange itself is kind of boring (the chamber of commerce claims the city is the "Antiques Capital of Southern California.") The Circle is great if you're into antiques, but incredibly boring if you're not (although Angels Stadium and the Duck Pond are five minutes away), and the beach is just fifteen minutes away off the 55.

Sorry I'm kinda rambling, but hope this helps. Good luck with your college application. For what its worth, I'm seriously considering going back to Chapman for my masters. You're not a number as much as you probably would be at a huge school like USC.

Last edited by buckeyenative01; 01-16-2009 at 08:48 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 09:58 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,886 times
Chapman is a very good but expensive private school, but with mostly a regional reputation. Just like my alma mater: Loyola Marymount University in LA. Or USD (San Diego), USF (San Francisco), or Gonzaga (Washington). Just depends on if you're practicing in OC afterwards, or if you want a more national resume. A benefit to these schools is the quality of education. You're more likely to have 30 students in your classrooms, your assignments are evaluated by the professor (not the assistant) and you're more likely to develop a relationship with them. They tend to be more invested in your success.

USC is a much more notorious school than the above, but you're definitely liable to get lost in the shuffle.

There's nothing wrong with public schools either: UCLA is very highly respected.

Keep in mind your employment goal. If you're looking to work as a CPA at one of the "Big 4" you must attend an excellent school. If you're looking to work at a smaller firm or go into solo practice, you're more free to decide which school is a good fit for your academic style.

http://www.articlesbase.com/accounti...es-402186.html

Last edited by cabolissa; 01-16-2009 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Added resource: http://www.articlesbase.com/accounting-articles/the-big-4-accounting-firms-how-to-get-that-perfect-job-with-o

Old 01-16-2009, 10:05 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
If you're a male, I'd recommend pledging the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity (tell 'em Chubby No Bath sent you)
Nice nickname!

Old 01-16-2009, 10:15 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Nice nickname!
Ha, thanks. I had a mullet and was a lard ass so it was appropriate for the time.

Actually, the ADPhi's go by the nickname "Adelphos" if you decide to pursue that route, OP.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:31 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,542 times
I am a Chapman University alum as well. The reputation of Chapman has come a long way. It is a regional school (a very good regional reputation). US News and World Report ranks it in the Top 10 among Western Regional Universities.

Chapman does not have the national pedigree reputation of USC or UCLA, but Chapman is still a very respectable school. It depends on where you want to work. If you want to stay in Southern California and especially in Orange County, you will be fine with graduating from Chapman University. Chapman’s strength is in its business programs and film programs. I’ve come across quite a few Chapman University graduates working at Big 4 CPA firms.

One thing Chapman may have over USC or UCLA is that class sizes are smaller and there is more individualize attention, in general.

Incidentally, I am also one of Prof. Donald Booth’s former student (the professor buckeyenative01 mentioned above). He’s an economics professor at Chapman University.

Best wishes.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:52 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Go to USC hands down. It has more of a brand name image. Everyone knows what it is, where it is at etc. When you are talking about these expensive schools that is basically what you are paying for - image.

Last edited by killer2021; 01-16-2009 at 07:03 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 07:55 AM

125 posts, read 440,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Go to USC hands down. It has more of a brand name image. Everyone knows what it is, where it is at etc. When you are talking about these expensive schools that is basically what you are paying for - image.
Not necessarily, Chapman does have a well off business school and a good amount of people enjoy smaller class sizes and a more "in touch" education.

There are plenty of people who have graduated from Chapman or even Cal State schools and are making great money. Its about YOUR drive and ambition, not the colleges

Old 01-17-2009, 01:11 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportBorn View Post
Not necessarily, Chapman does have a well off business school and a good amount of people enjoy smaller class sizes and a more "in touch" education.

There are plenty of people who have graduated from Chapman or even Cal State schools and are making great money. Its about YOUR drive and ambition, not the colleges
I agree totally, but would also add having a good network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County