Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 11:32 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times

Advertisements

Probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 12:22 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,489 times
I buy cars in OC .............. Very good deals!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:36 PM

92 posts, read 267,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
I buy cars in OC .............. Very good deals!!!!!!!!!

Yeah before I moved I bought my car in OC. There are good deals on fairly new cars because of the super rich that buy a new car every year.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:15 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman420 View Post
Yeah before I moved I bought my car in OC. There are good deals on fairly new cars because of the super rich that buy a new car every year.
So, there is a plus side of having all those flashy, snobby, spoiled rich people around here after all? he he...

Old 04-09-2011, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,575 times
I am poor as poor can be in Orange County standards, and i love my quaint little life here in south orange county. You only add fuel to the yuppy fire by acknowledging their activities. Instead of focusing on the negative aspects of this area, spend more time checking out the positives. My neighborhood is safe and clean and close to the beautiful ocean. I could easily buy a house in San Bernardino county for the rent i pay on my one bedroom apartment, but i prefer not to live next to meth labs.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:16 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfGhetto View Post
Instead of focusing on the negative aspects of this area, spend more time checking out the positives.
Quote:
I could easily buy a house in San Bernardino county... but i prefer not to live next to meth labs.
I love it when moralizers don't practice what they preach.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
I am poor as poor can be in Orange County standards,

You and I should have a "poor off" to see who is closer to the limit.

Me: one income, four kids, 1998 F-150 with 190K miles on it (which is at RSM ford right now for a $600 repair...), bag lunches, vanpool, no gym membership, clothes from salvation army (no kidding), starbucks maybe twice a month, restaurant meal maybe once a month, basic cable, basic el cheapo cell phone service, mow my own lawn (I may be the last person in OC to do that), A/C only when it is like above 90F outside.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:21 PM

327 posts, read 963,077 times
I haven't had the pleasure of reading this entire thread, but I think about this topic every time I visit O.C. I have family living in Laguna Niguel, and I just love the area. I feel like I'm on vacation every time I visit. But, the more people you know the more you realize how it's all a charade. You hear the term "40K millionaires" a lot down there. 20-30 something kids still live with mom and dad, and lease Audi/BMW/Mercedes up to the kilt. They own 2-3 top of the line designer outfits, and $200 sunglasses, and they just loaf around and cruise. Some people know actual millionaires and flap around in their coat tails, but most people earn the median salary and are complete posers. The people with money are business owners and executives (most likely tied to the tech and entertainment industry).

You have the same thing in the Valley. Thousand Oaks, Calabasas, Westlake Village, etc...I've never seen so many luxury cars in my life. As much as I would love to live in O.C. and be surrounded by the natural beauty, ocean, and sunshine, I'm not going to bankrupt my lifestyle to do it. I don't know the real median income manages a financially responsible living down there. Until the financials make sense, I'll continue to visit and vacation in the area.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:56 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsugrad03 View Post
I haven't had the pleasure of reading this entire thread, but I think about this topic every time I visit O.C. I have family living in Laguna Niguel, and I just love the area. I feel like I'm on vacation every time I visit. But, the more people you know the more you realize how it's all a charade. You hear the term "40K millionaires" a lot down there. 20-30 something kids still live with mom and dad, and lease Audi/BMW/Mercedes up to the kilt. They own 2-3 top of the line designer outfits, and $200 sunglasses, and they just loaf around and cruise. Some people know actual millionaires and flap around in their coat tails, but most people earn the median salary and are complete posers. The people with money are business owners and executives (most likely tied to the tech and entertainment industry).

You have the same thing in the Valley. Thousand Oaks, Calabasas, Westlake Village, etc...I've never seen so many luxury cars in my life. As much as I would love to live in O.C. and be surrounded by the natural beauty, ocean, and sunshine, I'm not going to bankrupt my lifestyle to do it. I don't know the real median income manages a financially responsible living down there. Until the financials make sense, I'll continue to visit and vacation in the area.
Certainly on the money for parts of the Valley. People living with their parents into their mid to late 20s earning $40K, but that allows them to lease the BMW and Audi and drive around town with expensive designer clothes. You never see these people are expensive restaurants or clubs unless they are with their very wealthy friend. I notice a lot of people my age that just hang out in their cars and drive from place to place to hang out outside.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:52 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,862,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Me: one income, four kids, 1998 F-150 with 190K miles on it (which is at RSM ford right now for a $600 repair...), bag lunches, vanpool, no gym membership, clothes from salvation army (no kidding), starbucks maybe twice a month, restaurant meal maybe once a month, basic cable, basic el cheapo cell phone service, mow my own lawn (I may be the last person in OC to do that), A/C only when it is like above 90F outside.
Actually not bad, in my case I do the repairs on the car myself, Starbucks only when we are on vacation, like once a year, restaurant definitely less than once a month, most like 2-3 times a year. Mow my own lawn, do all car service myself, paint, plumbing, you name it.

I have since moved to the Santa Clarita area, but the financial side is the exact copy of South OC (if not worse). I keep doing what I do. My neighbors have stopped starring at me when I mow or work on our cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County