Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 08:08 PM

31 posts, read 78,330 times

Advertisements

Is Culverdale Elementary really the worst school in Irvine? The reviews for it sound terrible, I keep picturing seven year olds with motorcycles and switchblades beating up my daughter because she wears glasses.
We finally found a place to rent and got approved (which is virtually impossible in Irvine since there are people still in this day and age with perfect credit, and unless you are one of them you get tossed to the back of the line). So anyhow, since pretty much every single elementary school I've looked up in Irvine has been a 10, I'm a little dissapointed that Culverdale, which corresponds to the place we picked to live, is really a crappy school.
If anyone's child attends this school, or has in the past, or if you've heard anything in regards to it, I'd greatly appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 08:16 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
It ranks a Great Schools 7 out 10, pretty good for just about anywhere, on the low end for Irvine. I seriously doubt this school is crappy. Sort of like saying Shaq is a crappy center compared to Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain.

Culverdale Elementary School - Irvine, California - CA - School overview

California School Performance Maps ranks it a 9 out of 10.

I just did a Google Street View and the neighborhood looks squeaky clean and pretty.

Parent reviews:

Parent Reviews of Culverdale Elementary School - Irvine, California - CA

Old 01-17-2010, 08:19 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Probably just has a lower percentage of hothoused Asian kids.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:46 PM

The school is 43% Asian. On the school website I read something about a lot of kids not speaking English which is why I guess the reading scores are not so great, but math is also significantly lower than the district average. My husband says I need to look at the positive side, that our daughter might be speaking a second language by the end of second grade, LOL. Shame on us since we are both bilingual to begin with.
The neighborhood is supposedly very nice. My husband is the one who went to see it and he loved it. We didn't even think of looking at the school until today, since pretty much every other school in the area is so great.
Oh and another thing, he told me that he ate lunch at a Thai place and he got the dirtiest looks for being there. In Houston you get people from all over the world and everyone pretty much just coexists with no problem, and there is an interest in other people's cultures. Is it different in Orange County? Does everyone pretty much stick to their own little group?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:48 PM

Oh and Charles thank you so much for the info. you posted!

Old 01-17-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesiJay View Post
Oh and another thing, he told me that he ate lunch at a Thai place and he got the dirtiest looks for being there. In Houston you get people from all over the world and everyone pretty much just coexists with no problem, and there is an interest in other people's cultures. Is it different in Orange County? Does everyone pretty much stick to their own little group?
A Thai place that caters only to Thais? That's a first. I didn't think there were any Thais actually dining and not working in those places.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:11 PM

101 posts, read 607,938 times
A bad school in Irvine? lol And I HATE Pleasantville, err, Irvine. Besides it is a small percentage of the equation. Are you good parents? Are you educated? Will you spend time with your kids? Then ANY school in South Orange County will be more than fine.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:46 PM

Unfortunately, Texas schools are at a higher level (in pretty much all aspects) than California schools. So to get her out of an excelling school in Texas and put her in the worst of Irvine would not really be a good decision. Yes IUSD is great, and it might be one of the best in CA, but compared to TX schools, it's not all that. We are not necessarily moving to OC for the great schools. Please don't take offense! Peace!

But within the report is small silver lining for Texas:
...differences in public policies, systemwide strategies, school site leadership, teaching practice, and perhaps other systemic investments can fundamentally influence student achievement. California and Texas, for example, are two large states with similar demographics. Yet as shown in Exhibit 7, Texas students are, on average, one to two years of learning ahead of California students of the same age, even though Texas has less income per capita and spends less per pupil than California. (details on p.58/57 chart here)

"California has the most students of any state and has a relatively high income level but low achievement level. Texas is the second most populous state with a medium income level and relatively high achievement levels." (p.114/113)

Old 01-18-2010, 06:51 PM

Yes but comparing statewide averages somewhat overgeneralizes. Would be better to compare your current school district with the one you're considering moving to.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesiJay View Post
Unfortunately, Texas schools are at a higher level (in pretty much all aspects) than California schools. So to get her out of an excelling school in Texas and put her in the worst of Irvine would not really be a good decision. Yes IUSD is great, and it might be one of the best in CA, but compared to TX schools, it's not all that. We are not necessarily moving to OC for the great schools. Please don't take offense! Peace!

But within the report is small silver lining for Texas:
...differences in public policies, systemwide strategies, school site leadership, teaching practice, and perhaps other systemic investments can fundamentally influence student achievement. California and Texas, for example, are two large states with similar demographics. Yet as shown in Exhibit 7, Texas students are, on average, one to two years of learning ahead of California students of the same age, even though Texas has less income per capita and spends less per pupil than California. (details on p.58/57 chart here)

"California has the most students of any state and has a relatively high income level but low achievement level. Texas is the second most populous state with a medium income level and relatively high achievement levels." (p.114/113)
Jesi -
Don't get to smug about TX v. CA schools. The students in Irvine are very competitive and there is a big dose of the sterotypical east asian study or die ethos in IUSD. However fast your kids want to go, they will find pacesetters in Irvine to run with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County