Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 19,533 times

Advertisements

We are a young family looking to buy a house in Tustin. We are pursuing one house in particular that we really like, but we are unsure of the area. Looking up the area on neighborhoodscout.com, driving around it, and talking with our realtor all seem to say that the house is in a good neighborhood. However, it is near Villa Valencia mobile home park (which I can only find 2 reviews for, 1 horribly negative and 1 very positive) and Ranchos Sierra Vista apartment complex, which has some pretty bad reviews. Pine Tree Park apartments, though, have positive reviews and are also nearby. So I'm really not sure if I am being paranoid, or if I am close to buying a house that is not in a desirable area. Does anyone know any more about that area? In particular whether this area is on a downward slope and seeing more crime, or if it is pretty stable and safe. I don't need a gated Irvine community, but I would like to feel safe day and night and not have to worry about my property value going down. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:11 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,464,422 times
What are the nearby major cross streets?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:15 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Househunting88 View Post
We are a young family looking to buy a house in Tustin. We are pursuing one house in particular that we really like, but we are unsure of the area. Looking up the area on neighborhoodscout.com, driving around it, and talking with our realtor all seem to say that the house is in a good neighborhood. However, it is near Villa Valencia mobile home park (which I can only find 2 reviews for, 1 horribly negative and 1 very positive) and Ranchos Sierra Vista apartment complex, which has some pretty bad reviews. Pine Tree Park apartments, though, have positive reviews and are also nearby. So I'm really not sure if I am being paranoid, or if I am close to buying a house that is not in a desirable area. Does anyone know any more about that area? In particular whether this area is on a downward slope and seeing more crime, or if it is pretty stable and safe. I don't need a gated Irvine community, but I would like to feel safe day and night and not have to worry about my property value going down. Thank you!
It would depend on what street. Mitchell is nearby and while it looks attractive it seems to have a strange vibe to it. Don't know specifically. It depends on how close you are to the apartments and the mobile home park.

And, one cannot guarantee property values not going down, as we have seen over the past couple of years.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 19,533 times
It is fairly close to Walnut and somewhat near Tustin Ranch Rd

Old 03-03-2010, 02:09 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,337 times
I would suggest you go further north in Tustin.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:06 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,021 times
Quote:
It is fairly close to Walnut and somewhat near Tustin Ranch Rd
That intersection should be fine. Nothing lethal over there.

The far south of Tustin is the least desirable unless you live in the new Legacy area near the Distict shopping center. There was actually a shooting over off Myrtle and McFadden (I believe that was the intersection) about a month ago or so. Not that this is an everyday occurrence, but there are some gang problems around the far southside neighborhoods.

Overall, though, Tustin is good.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:34 PM

233 posts, read 743,904 times
Quote:
First off , I think you are more likely to experience your home value go down in price do to the still overpriced housing market then to crime. Nonetheless, I have family in Tustin and spent some time growing up there. I know exactly where everything is which you have referenced. The mobile home park area is safe and I would say most of Tustin is safe generally speaking. Exactly where are buying? what street? Southeast Tustin is nice and safe; you have residential neighborhoods such as Tustin Meadows, Peppertree and Laurelwood which are comparable to parts of west irvine, these are located on Walnut/Redhill to Walnut/Tustin Ranch Rd. Most of the "bad" parts of Tustin are located in southwest Tustin, the part of the city that borders Santa Ana. This is where most of the crime takes place though its not a lot. The further east you go from southwest Tustin the "safer" it becomes. There is no weird vibe on Mitchell Street like another posted stated from what I can remember. North Tustin and Tustin Ranch are nice but you will pay for this. Tustin is like a buffer zone between one of the worst and one of the best cities in the county, Irvine and Santa Ana. There is no way in hell Tustin PD will let Santa Ana crime creep east into Tustin and have a chance of getting into Irvine. If you have any more specific questions, post and I will reply.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:19 PM

823 posts, read 1,784,227 times
I think I understand the 'strange vibe' that mrsltd said. I drove down Mitchell for the first time this year to see a house and was disappointed to see so many apts or condos. They are probably apts. Standing outside were kids and young adults, some of whom I would kinda keep an eye on. Maybe I'm just super paranoid, but it's not like the time I drove through Paramount's apt row and saw what looked like gangs on both sides of the residential street. I made sure to not make eye contact and to get outta there asap.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 PM

342 posts, read 1,427,582 times
I was just reading this and have a question. I have been gone for many years, but I am curious about the statement that the Tustin PD will not let the Santa Ana crime move into Tustin or Irvine. Why is it that Santa Ana has gotten so out of control? Is it budget cuts or just too much population?

Old 03-04-2010, 02:18 PM

233 posts, read 743,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveOC View Post
I was just reading this and have a question. I have been gone for many years, but I am curious about the statement that the Tustin PD will not let the Santa Ana crime move into Tustin or Irvine. Why is it that Santa Ana has gotten so out of control? Is it budget cuts or just too much population?
Santa Ana has a large low income population and low education levels. These factors decrease opportunities for success. More importantly though is that the Mexican community (at least the immigrant generation, which is a large portion of Santa Ana) does not stress education to its children like other cultures. Asian cultures place a large emphasis on education; while Mexican culture does not do this generally speaking. Recent mexican immigrant parents are at a disadvantage in that they sometimes have a harder transition in parenting/adapting their children to their new environment in the US. For the most part you can't parent a child exactly like you would back in your home country you must adapt. Their are a lot of potential negative external forces here in the states that do not exist in one's home country. This can be said of a lot of cultures just not mexican culture. In summary, Santa Ana's problems come from low income, low education levels and natural transition problems/issues that arise from new immigrants attempting to fit into the american system.

I don't follow Santa Ana politics so i can't comment on budget cuts specifically, but I imagine most of the county is experiencing some type budget cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County