Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 08:33 PM

822 posts, read 2,203,212 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Now that summer is finally here I'm hoping to do a lot of camping. The only thing is that everyone else has the exact same idea. I'm wondering if anyone on here has any suggestions on some good areas in the Cascades that offer remote campsites that are less frequented by the huge crowds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 09:24 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
This is a pretty good book, I've used it for decades (it's been updated many times):

Outdoor Guidebooks by Tom Stienstra - Pacific Northwest Camping

Over the years it's gotten a bit more focused on RVs and trailers, but there are still a lot of "primitive" sites mentioned. It's always wise to check with the forest service for the area to make sure camps haven't been closed or updated since the books were written.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 06-13-2010 at 09:59 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 07:38 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
The forest lookouts are remote if you can find one that's not booked already - Find Campgrounds - ReserveAmerica

That should take you to a listing of Federal Lookouts and Guard Stations that you can rent. Some you have to hike several miles just to get to them. If the link doesn't work, go to Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - ReserveAmerica enter in the state you want to camp in , choose "looking for cabins or lodgings" and then when it brings up the first list click on the "federal" tab.

Or if you want to tent camp/backpack your choices are wide open. Just get out there and go. Check the BLM website, I have heard that camping on BLM lands is free but we've never done it...

Old 06-14-2010, 08:46 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Another good book for finding camping spots is "Fishing in Oregon".
You can find it at Fred Meyers.
It's main focus is fishing spots, but it has tons of listings for small hike-in lakes with primitive camping.
Couple that with a DeLorme Oregon Atlas, and you got it made.
Also stop by a National Forest Ranger station and pick up a ranger district Topo map for about 5 to 10 bucks and you're all set for adventure.
BTW, you can camp just about anywhere you want in the National Forests. If you are looking for a "feature" such as a lake or something, you might be disappointed, but there are tons of forest roads that will take you to some pretty remote places that are quite beautiful.
Just be careful! Primitive and remote means just that.
You will have to depend on yourself if you get into a bad situation.
A small survival kit in addition to your camping gear is good insurance.
Make sure your vehicle is in excellent mechanical shape.

And even though quite a few people on this board will freak out at this suggestion, if you are by yourself in a remote primitive area, it's not a bad idea to be armed.
It's a whole new ball game when you are a hundred miles in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone coverage, public safety personnel or animal control. City rules don't apply.

I know you are probably thinking that I'm getting paranoid and preachy, but I spend an awful lot of time out in the woods and am constantly amazed how many city people I run across that have no clue and not prepared for things as small as a flat tire or minor first aid.
Several times I've run across folks that don't even know where they are after a day of driving around "exploring" with no maps, and are almost out of gas.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-14-2010 at 09:07 AM..

Old 06-14-2010, 10:04 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Hit the designated wilderness areas and backpack in. You can get away from people that way.

Don't limit yourself to the Cascades. Gorgeous getaways in the Eagle Cap in NE Oregon, The Strawberries outside of Prairie City and to really get away, check out Steens Mountain in SE Oregon.

If you aren't willing or able to walk in, there are still some more remote areas, but you'll have better luck getting away from folks in eastern Oregon.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:51 AM

822 posts, read 2,203,212 times
Thanks for the suggestions guys. PDX Mike. I totally agree with you on being prepared. I grew up in rural Kentucky so I've always had my OH S&#t stuff in my trunk just in case I need it. Everyone always made fun of me for having all of my OH S(&t stuff until of course something happened to one of them and they needed my help. I don't own a gun but I have a compound bow so I'll at least take that w/ me. Have a good one guys.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:13 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
This looks like it might be Fun

Facility Details - Recreation.gov, Whisky Camp Guard Station (OR) - Recreation.gov

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...ex=CampingSpot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: