Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:43 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlimbert View Post
Incorporate as a separate city or merge into Medford?
Two different things. Incorporation= stand alone city. Merge (Annexation) =just changing the name to Medford.
Neither are good options in my opinion. Incorporating or being Annexed seem to never,ever provide anything equal to (or worth) the cost of membership and certainly not the loss of some freedoms.
I've always looked to live in the county and fought to stay in it. Most times it means less restrictions, less tax and less layers of redundant government but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,574 times
I have been offered a job in the Medford Schools as a Speech Pathologist. I am from Michigan and have lived here most of my life. My husband is from Washington and desires to be back out west. Can anyone tell me about the schools there and does Medford get snow?? My husband and I are in our 50's..empty nesters. We are just looking for a nice small town that we can enjoy the scenery and live comfortably. We are conservative Christians and hoping this is the right comunity for us. HELP!!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
We live happily in the mountains about 80 mile nw from Medford. They get very little snow, if any, most winters. When Medford gets a dusting, it's usually melted later that day.
www.kobi5.com <<< Medford TV

Old 11-06-2012, 02:15 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,598 times
White City may be very much improved but the moniker will always stick with locals as a negative. In Westchester County where I grew up in NY, there was a town called Port Chester. It had a very bad reputation. Over the years it improved a lot but that name was detrimental to real estate values. Part of the town was annexed to Rye and became Rye City which removed some of the stigma.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 AM

10 posts, read 20,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyjay53 View Post
I have been offered a job in the Medford Schools as a Speech Pathologist. I am from Michigan and have lived here most of my life. My husband is from Washington and desires to be back out west. Can anyone tell me about the schools there and does Medford get snow?? My husband and I are in our 50's..empty nesters. We are just looking for a nice small town that we can enjoy the scenery and live comfortably. We are conservative Christians and hoping this is the right comunity for us. HELP!!
You will find our area a delightful place to live. Want to live in West Medford? Some area's yes, some no. Just personal opin. I'm in a new'ish subdivision (many are) in White City and I don't even bother to lock my doors/windows. Schools are all really quite good, as well as all the 'other' City/County services.

Get a 'bill' that you have a question on (utility, etc.) dial up and you'll have a very nice person on the phone in moments. "Ah, that's what means. Thank you Very Much."

Like the 'out of doors?' Minutes drive away in almost any direction. Fish? You'll love it here.

Etc.

Fred Evans

Nuts! Missed your question about snow. We get a light dusting a couple of times per winter. Odd off would be a major storm moving over the area.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:48 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyjay53 View Post
There a a few towns in Southern Oregon (Rogue Valley) that fit your needs, it just depends on if you like to commute to work. Commuting in the Rogue Valley isn't all that difficult (except for hwy 62), it seems that everything is about 20 minutes away. Most of the towns outside of Medford are small. If you choose to live in Medford then you'll find the communities diverse both on the west side and east side and both have their pluses and minuses.

As for snow, we get, on the average, about 2-4" of snow per year on the valley floor, however, it doesn't last long. If you live at the higher altitudes, above 2000' then you can expect a little more snow. I've lived in the Rogue valley most of my 62 years and only on rare occasions have I seen any snow of substantial amounts, 1' or more.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:05 PM

247 posts, read 745,338 times
Hi Ladyjay53

This is a fantastic place to live with so much to offer; camping, cycling, hiking, rafting and fishing are just the start. It's also pretty affordable as long as you don't mind paying a little more for gas. Plus we just got a REI and Trader Joe's.

I will say that this area isn't that religious, church isn't a main activity here. Most folks are pretty laid back and don't talk about their religious beliefs compared to my time in much more conservative areas, for example Texas. If you can adjust to doing your thing and not mind others doing theirs you'll enjoy it here quite a bit.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,004 times
I live in White City, and have done for 7 years, it's not al that bad, but it is not in the same league as West Medford. I won't even go there.
We previously rented in Eagle Point, oh boy what a snobby little town!
In my opinion, White City is better than Phoenix or Talent.
Jacksonville and Ashland way overpriced and snobby.
Central Point is a pretty good compromise although rather dull.
You pays your money and you takes your choice.
The real problem in the Medford area is poor employment prospects.
A great place to retire though!

Old 08-02-2014, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,543 times
I think it depends on where you come from.......if you've moved to Southern Oregon from Alaska or the midwest it might be paradise but we moved up from Santa Cruz and even after 3 years I'm still trying to figure out why. Couldn't afford my city by the ocean any longer - born and raised there and sad that so many locals are forced out by the economy - I remember an advertisement on TV when we first moved here - don't know what it was advertising but it started out by saying "Medford doesn't have to be boring...." Loved that because it is very ho-hum after coming from a resort town. Regret the decision but don't know where else we could have landed - my husband's family is here and my decision was based on that.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:55 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Maybe, having lived in a much more rural area, I am easy to please, but I am rarely bored here (and if I am, well, housecleaning and home repair await my attention ....). The wineries and the music at most of them are fun, I like the farmer's markets, the farmstands, the local "foodie" movement, the recreation in the Cascades and - very occasionally - at the Coast.

This week I have been to: Lake of the Woods on the hottest day to float around and cool off; out to dinner at Elements Tapas, my favorite local restaurant; a winery to hear a local band I like; a cooking class; and tonight I'll be at a pub in Central Point to hear a band I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon