Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:01 AM

7 posts, read 7,624 times

Advertisements

These are what we think we want to narrow down to. Need specifics to help narrow down more.

We would prefer 4 distinct seasons, snow in the winter is fine as long as we have a sunny summer. Cloud over and rain we expect, but we'd prefer a place where is lets up a least 3 days of the week maybe? Which of these places is most likely to provide this type of weather?

Also, which of these places is best for families with small/elementary age kids? Safest? Good school?

Also, in case anyone knows--- are their indoor tennis courts in any of these places or within about a 20 minute drive?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 AM

480 posts, read 2,466,750 times
Bend and Sisters offer the four seasons weather you want, though Sisters is often cooler temp-wise than Bend and is substantially smaller in population. They both have some very good elementary schools and are overall safe communities. Bend has an indoor tennis court option at the Athletic Club of Bend on Bend's SW side. Paid membership is required but there are often discounted memberships for sale listed in the want ads. There is also the West Bend Tennis Center that opened winter 2010 that doesn't have memberships but you have to reserve in advance. It was free. I don't know if they are still open. Our Parks & Rec offers 8 free outdoor courts and the public also has free access to outdoor high school courts.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:53 PM

456 posts, read 1,007,780 times
Most often in the Bend weather you get a mix of clouds and sun. Often it is sunny in the AM, but clouds up by PM. Bend weather is constantly changing. Sometimes every 15 minutes. Bend is relatively cold 8+ months out of the year and heats up for just the summer months. Probably no surprise to you, but jobs are far and few between in Bend. If you can make your living self employed and not dependent on the local economy that is the best situation.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:17 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
I don't live in Klamath Falls, but about 30 miles out of town - and I have to say, right now (summer of 2011), I don't recommend moving there, particularly not with school-aged children. The county budget is a disaster (the city is somewhat better) and the current recession is just getting worse and worse here. No new jobs, a bad two years for agriculture, and retail stores folding right and left. The sheriff is cutting patrols and jail cells (again, although last time he did that we had a 40% increase in burglary), the schools are looking at cutting programs, teaching staff and length of year.

It's possible that things will turn around, but right now there is no sign of it.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:13 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I don't live in Klamath Falls, but about 30 miles out of town - and I have to say, right now (summer of 2011), I don't recommend moving there, particularly not with school-aged children. The county budget is a disaster (the city is somewhat better) and the current recession is just getting worse and worse here. No new jobs, a bad two years for agriculture, and retail stores folding right and left. The sheriff is cutting patrols and jail cells (again, although last time he did that we had a 40% increase in burglary), the schools are looking at cutting programs, teaching staff and length of year.

It's possible that things will turn around, but right now there is no sign of it.
Personally, I wouldn't bank on it. Klamath Falls has never really been very strong economically. The last two times it had a boom is when the Fed's bought out the Klamath Reservation and all the Natives bought fancy new cars (1960's,) and when the Air Force/National Guard base was built. With continued arguments of farmers vs. endangered fish over the years, I think things a poised to get worse over the years. The town has a bit of a technology side, but mostly a call center and related to the algae production/harvesting that takes place in the lake. But even both those businesses have been hurting.

It's a wonderful town other then that, a bit rough with a cool historic downtown that is trying to go more upscale and peg itself as a destination for dining, shopping and entertainment. It has a long ways to go, but I've spent a lot of time there and enjoyed myself for the most part.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:55 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
I was trying to keep from being entirely negative.....

Right before the housing crash, things had been looking up, there was a concerted effort to try and make the area more livable, get a broader employment base and generally improve things.

That's stalled or gone now, and the only political movement seems to be the "no new taxes and cut all taxes even if it means no services at all" Tea Party. You're getting exactly what you wanted, people, a dying town - hope you enjoy it.

I don't live in the city and the only thing really affected out here is the sheriff office - or, more accurately, lack of sheriff's office. For almost all crime at this point, when you call 911 and they figure out that you are in the county, you are told to go to the sheriff's web site and report the crime. This INCLUDES things like residential burglary-in-progress.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:49 PM

63 posts, read 184,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
Bend and Sisters offer the four seasons weather you want, though Sisters is often cooler temp-wise than Bend and is substantially smaller in population. They both have some very good elementary schools and are overall safe communities. Bend has an indoor tennis court option at the Athletic Club of Bend on Bend's SW side. Paid membership is required but there are often discounted memberships for sale listed in the want ads. There is also the West Bend Tennis Center that opened winter 2010 that doesn't have memberships but you have to reserve in advance. It was free. I don't know if they are still open. Our Parks & Rec offers 8 free outdoor courts and the public also has free access to outdoor high school courts.
Bendite, what's the economic climate like in Bend right now. I know it is tough nationwide, but my husband may get offered a job there by a small business owner and I was curious how things were looking in that area. Are many out of work and do folks in Bend feel like they are being paid at least a reasonable (i know this is relative) living wage? Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:07 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,691,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christine243 View Post
Bendite, what's the economic climate like in Bend right now. I know it is tough nationwide, but my husband may get offered a job there by a small business owner and I was curious how things were looking in that area. Are many out of work and do folks in Bend feel like they are being paid at least a reasonable (i know this is relative) living wage? Thanks for your thoughts!
The unemployment rate in Deschutes county hovers between 12-14%. It's on the lower end of that right now due to seasonal employment, but I heard several recent reports that claim Bend's economy isn't going to come back for close to 10 years. I certainly hope this isn't the case, but looking at the real estate market and the continual decline over the past two years, I'm fearing the worst. A living wage depends on the lifestyle you want to live. We are able to make it on just one salary, but don't have any kids. Many of our friends are not so lucky. They struggle to get by with two salaries because Bend is notorious for paying low wages.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:18 PM

63 posts, read 184,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
The unemployment rate in Deschutes county hovers between 12-14%. It's on the lower end of that right now due to seasonal employment, but I heard several recent reports that claim Bend's economy isn't going to come back for close to 10 years. I certainly hope this isn't the case, but looking at the real estate market and the continual decline over the past two years, I'm fearing the worst. A living wage depends on the lifestyle you want to live. We are able to make it on just one salary, but don't have any kids. Many of our friends are not so lucky. They struggle to get by with two salaries because Bend is notorious for paying low wages.
Thank you delta07! I needed that info to make a decision. Thanks again.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:51 PM

51 posts, read 94,603 times
I am wondering this same thing. I wonder how Bend is job and housing wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon