Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 10:04 AM

43 posts, read 54,475 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've spent so much time reading through these forums and can't believe how much I've learned. Sometimes I end up feeling more baffled and confused after leaving the forum than when I arrive (totally conflicting viewpoints and opinions about the same area) but of course that's natural. I have to be honest and say that after all I've read about the area encompassing Eugene / Cottage Grove on both forums from people that love it and people that absolutely seem to hate it (makes me wonder why they are still there), I'm still not really sure what to think.

We currently live in the rural Castle Rock/Parker, Colorado area, and although we really love Colorado and all that it has to offer, the dryness has finally got to us. The brown, desert landscape and complete lack of rainfall is a real downer. Everything is really brown and dry here. It may be only one factor, but it's enough for us to finally move to a lusher, greener area. We have family in the Pacific Northwest and really love it there, from the greenery, the forests, the wineries, the liberal attitude (are are not political but are very liberal in our views - each to his own). We don't want to live in a city, but don't want to be terribly far from one (the drive from Eugene/Cottage Grove area to Portland doesn't seem "too" bad to us). We're looking for a safe community (we've never had to lock our doors in Parker, CO, crime is very low), a pretty community, and somewhere that does have some art, culture, nice restaurants (not chain stuff), festivals/community fun stuff. We're both vegetarians and organic produce is important to us. So is an outdoor lifestyle (rain doesn't bother us - I lived in Northern England where it rained for weeks at a time). We like a community that is friendly that we can be an active part of (my husband was president of the HOA here and really enjoyed the community interaction).

I'd love to know if anyone has been in the same boat as us and moved from Parker to Cottage Grove and the surrounding area and can give up a comparative view. We've never driven down there from Portland yet but plan to next month. We've found some absolutely gorgeous houses in Cottage Grove that have stolen our hearts. We would like to live in an upscale neighborhood and have the funds ($600+). I'm just a little worried that things may be a little too isolated or cut off for us. But I'm really not sure. I'd love some feedback. Anyone from South Denver on the board? :-)

Thank so much in advance!

Last edited by autumnwilderland; 08-15-2013 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times
I think Cottage Grove sounds like a good option for you to consider. If you visit, I'd be interested to hear what you thought of it.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnwilderland View Post
Hello everyone,

I've spent so much time reading through these forums and can't believe how much I've learned. Sometimes I end up feeling more baffled and confused after leaving the forum than when I arrive (totally conflicting viewpoints and opinions about the same area) but of course that's natural. I have to be honest and say that after all I've read about the area encompassing Eugene / Cottage Grove on both forums from people that love it and people that absolutely seem to hate it (makes me wonder why they are still there), I'm still not really sure what to think.

We currently live in the rural Castle Rock/Parker, Colorado area, and although we really love Colorado and all that it has to offer, the dryness has finally got to us. The brown, desert landscape and complete lack of rainfall is a real downer. Everything is really brown and dry here. It may be only one factor, but it's enough for us to finally move to a lusher, greener area. We have family in the Pacific Northwest and really love it there, from the greenery, the forests, the wineries, the liberal attitude (are are not political but are very liberal in our views - each to his own). We don't want to live in a city, but don't want to be terribly far from one (the drive from Eugene/Cottage Grove area to Portland doesn't seem "too" bad to us). We're looking for a safe community (we've never had to lock our doors in Parker, CO, crime is very low), a pretty community, and somewhere that does have some art, culture, nice restaurants (not chain stuff), festivals/community fun stuff. We're both vegetarians and organic produce is important to us. So is an outdoor lifestyle (rain doesn't bother us - I lived in Northern England where it rained for weeks at a time). We like a community that is friendly that we can be an active part of (my husband was president of the HOA here and really enjoyed the community interaction).

I'd love to know if anyone has been in the same boat as us and moved from Parker to Cottage Grove and the surrounding area and can give up a comparative view. We've never driven down there from Portland yet but plan to next month. We've found some absolutely gorgeous houses in Cottage Grove that have stolen our hearts. We would like to live in an upscale neighborhood and have the funds ($600+). I'm just a little worried that things may be a little too isolated or cut off for us. But I'm really not sure. I'd love some feedback. Anyone from South Denver on the board? :-)

Thank so much in advance!
Autumnwilderland...
This may be to late, but why would you want to leave Parker? I worked on a house there in the eighties and it was a breathtaking place!!!
Unless...you are sick of the extreme cold & snows there.

I lived in Aurora (east of Denver) in the mid/late 80's. I now reside in FloriDUH and am in search of a house in Cottage Grove.
Can't wait to find one myself!

Old 01-12-2014, 01:18 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
No comparison, but a good choice.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Cottage Grove is a nice area, and while quiet, it is pretty and there are a handful of places to eat. Outside of rush hour it's 20 minutes to downtown Eugene (or Springfield), or to the Gateway Mall complex.

Eugene/Springfield isn't Denver by any stretch, but it is a 350k metro. Short on professional sports, but pretty good for dining, strong on outdoor activities, medical services are pretty good. Airport is decent, particularly if you don't need to travel east of the rockies regularly.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:44 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,373,915 times
I think it depends on what you will be doing for a living, if not retired yet. If I didn't need a job and could move anywhere, I would be a little closer to the coast than Eugene/CG.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:44 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
I think it depends on what you will be doing for a living, if not retired yet. If I didn't need a job and could move anywhere, I would be a little closer to the coast than Eugene/CG.
In their case I'm not sure I'd agree - some of their stated goals (not terribly far from a city, but also small things like access to organic produce) I think point to the Valley rather than the coast.

Though in the valley they may also like somewhere like Silverton (Salem metro), Philomath (Corv.) or even like Forest Grove (Pdx).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon