Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 10:21 AM

28 posts, read 61,277 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm researching real estate for retirement in a few years. I found a house in Lebanon, Oregon for $12,000 and it's perfect for me. I'm single, don't have a social life, no drinking, no drugs - actually I'm quite the hermit.

I don't currently have a car and don't want one, so my retirement house would need to be within walking distance (1-2 miles) from grocery stores and Walmart (not necessity but would be nice).

I'm wondering what Lebanon is like as a town? Does it have higher crime? Can you walk down the streets at night without a problem? Do they have gangs or is it a sleepy Oregon town? I'm pretty comfortable in places like Roseburg, Coos Bay, Astoria - though I'm less comfortable in Eugene. I do like Grants Pass and Cottage Grove. So maybe you could compare the crime/safety to these towns.

Thanks for any info.

cm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 10:44 AM

297 posts, read 727,056 times
Yes Lebanon is a nice small town. Low crime. Safe to walk around at all hours. Also they have just built a medical school there, so there will be all sorts of medical types in the area. Good for a retiring person!

But $12,000 for a house? Did you mean $120,000?

Also there is a senior center there. And it is a small town, so everything within walking distance. But there also is a local bus to take people shopping and so forth...
TripCheck - Oregon Department of Transportation

Senior Center...
City of Lebanon : Senior Center

Medical School...
About COMP - Northwest

Old 02-02-2012, 07:40 PM

478 posts, read 786,177 times
$12,000 might be fair for a doghouse. Just make sure the owners will feed you regularly and provide proper health care and fresh water.

As yellow said, you meant 120k, right?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 PM

15,591 posts, read 40,488,511 times
I assume he means a mobile in a mobile home park. Those you can buy for $12k. If you are comfortable in Roseburg, Coos Bay, etc, you'll be fine in Lebanon.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 PM

478 posts, read 786,177 times
Oops. I was just being my usual off-the-wall self.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:18 AM

5,471 posts, read 8,202,022 times
The OP said this in the Texas forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmabc123 View Post
........I don't want urban, city, metro places. Rural area where I can get a tiny, broken down house for about $10k, Wal-Mart within one mile, etc. ...............
Maybe he did find an extreme fixer upper in Lebanon for $12,000. After deducting the value of the lot, the value of the house must be close to zero. Instead of a Wal-Mart within one mile, hope for a Home Depot within walking distance.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:14 PM

28 posts, read 61,277 times
Default lol - yep $12k

Hey all,

Thanks for the quick responses. I thought Lebanon would be a nice little town, but I've read some posts elsewhere on the net that said it was a terrible place to live. I know I have to check it out for myself before I buy.

Anyway, the house is actually $12,000. Not $120,000. It would be considered by most people to be worthless I'm sure, which is why it was already dropped from $19,000 to $12,000. For me, as long as it has a roof that doesn't leak, running water (actually not necessary), and is walking distance from the stores, it's fine with me. The smaller the better, too. Most houses are just way too big for one person these days.

Also, I don't even look at mobile homes because they are usually in parks that have rent, which is what I'm trying to get away from. Otherwise, it's a pickup and camper for me, living in the woods for free.

I'm also looking around Texas, which seems to have a large number of little houses for sale under $20k, but they have a lot of tornadoes there and many of the houses are in bad neighborhoods.

Anyway, thanks again for the info on Lebanon.

cm

Old 02-03-2012, 01:42 PM

15,591 posts, read 40,488,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmabc123 View Post
Hey all,

Thanks for the quick responses. I thought Lebanon would be a nice little town, but I've read some posts elsewhere on the net that said it was a terrible place to live. I know I have to check it out for myself before I buy.

Anyway, the house is actually $12,000. Not $120,000. It would be considered by most people to be worthless I'm sure, which is why it was already dropped from $19,000 to $12,000. For me, as long as it has a roof that doesn't leak, running water (actually not necessary), and is walking distance from the stores, it's fine with me. The smaller the better, too. Most houses are just way too big for one person these days.

Also, I don't even look at mobile homes because they are usually in parks that have rent, which is what I'm trying to get away from. Otherwise, it's a pickup and camper for me, living in the woods for free.

I'm also looking around Texas, which seems to have a large number of little houses for sale under $20k, but they have a lot of tornadoes there and many of the houses are in bad neighborhoods.

Anyway, thanks again for the info on Lebanon.

cm

I was intrigued and yes indeed there is one house in Lebanon for $12,900, that is stick built, for sale. It's part of a Fannie bulk sale lot purchased by an investor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon