Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:33 PM

32 posts, read 75,553 times

Advertisements

We looked at Roseburg a lot and I really liked it. As far as education goes for her...there's not much there.

The fact that these smaller towns are becoming drug havens is sad. Eventually Oregonians should do something other than let the local government just make their own decisions and ask for some action instead of watching it all happen... I'm not coming on the offensive on any of you, but I see a lot of people saying things like that and not doing much to change it. Again...just my opinion from way over here. I could be completely wrong on that. Big cities = property crime and homeless people and drug dealers.....or small towns = drugs. Really? I can't believe that's completely true.

The only reason I was looking for a smaller town closer to one of the bigger cities with a university or college was for her education. I don't mind living further out of the way(go look up Bovey,MN..that's where I'm from originally.), I just don't know how that would work. We'll have to talk it over. She does have a good 10 years of experience in office work as well, so that helps.

I don't mind rain, but I don't think I'd like gloomy every day. Temp doesn't bother me one way or the other except for the 110 degree heat we have in KS, but she doesn't want to freeze in 5 degree weather every night for a month. Anywhere in OR or WA seems to have mild weather, so that's not much of an issue.

Low crime? well...go look at Topeka's crime rate history. WAY higher than the national average. I'd like to go someplace that is at least "lower" than that... Strangely, the crime rate history makes it look as though it has come down so much in the last ten years but I know that isn't the whole story.

I'm not saying I need to live in Mayberry. I'm not completely dense, I know those plces are few and far between in pretty much every state in the union... However there are places where crime rate is lower and much more tolerable, and that's what I'd like. I'm sick of burglaries like crazy and stories of random shootings and things every other day. Topeka has been getting worse and worse in that regard. I'm not saying it doesn't happen to some extent everywhere, I just don't really want to be in the middle of it.

What about places like McMinnville or any of the other western suburb cities to Portland?

If WA and OR aren't right for us, we'll be hard pressed to find something that is. I'm not so sure I'd be open to moving "east" but who knows.

Thanks for the thoughts all, keep it comin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 05:45 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,936,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
But isn't there a Community College in the Roseburg area that may offer long distance learning degrees connected to some of Oregon's larger campuses? Just a thought.
they have a few on-line classes but you can't get a whole degree out of it. not open at night. i don't think the bookstore is even open weekends (for those of us that work). you can get a degree on-line from OSU but it is very limited in subjects and after looking at the cost, i said no way. same fees in-state or out but it was a lot!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:31 PM

I think the conclusion I'm coming to just as I did last time is that A) Roseburg looks like the spot for us and B) We just need to come visit and drive around the state.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravie View Post
I think the conclusion I'm coming to just as I did last time is that A) Roseburg looks like the spot for us and B) We just need to come visit and drive around the state.
have you been to oregon before?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:21 PM

I'm sorry, I should have clarified, last time I was doing research on where to even visit as an idea. We kind of like the "idea" of going there, but haven't had the chance in life to do it yet. We need to come visit. I'd like to visit my aunt up in Chehalis while we're that far away from home and close to her, too so...

Old 07-23-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I should have clarified, last time I was doing research on where to even visit as an idea. We kind of like the "idea" of going there, but haven't had the chance in life to do it yet. We need to come visit. I'd like to visit my aunt up in Chehalis while we're that far away from home and close to her, too so...
no need to apologize. i work in roseburg and live in sutherlin. moved here seven years ago from california. would have gone to eugene but the housing was out of my range and supposedly the weather is better in roseburg. so what do you do for a living?

Old 07-24-2012, 09:10 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,470,369 times
Quote:

The fact that these smaller towns are becoming drug havens is sad. Eventually Oregonians should do something other than let the local government just make their own decisions and ask for some action instead of watching it all happen... I'm not coming on the offensive on any of you, but I see a lot of people saying things like that and not doing much to change it. Again...just my opinion from way over here. I could be completely wrong on that. Big cities = property crime and homeless people and drug dealers.....or small towns = drugs. Really? I can't believe that's completely true.
You have to remember that most Oregon Counties and small cities are already poor and have been for decades. A few have been run into the ground by elected city councils who didn't know how to do the job. Then there are repeated cuts to budgets due to people being unemployed. A lot of places only had "growth" via "Californians" moving there - most of who didn't really contribute to the economy as they were retired.

This last blow was the cutting of the Federal Timber Subsidies. In many cases 50%+ of all land in Oregon Counties is owned by the Federal Government, and these were seen as a way to reimburse for lost taxes if a portion of the land was other wise useable. Congress is finally getting of their butts and fixing that, but we'll see if it happens.

Timber payments head for Congress approval | MailTribune.com

Some places managed to have a surplus of money on hand, but that's running out. The ending of the Timber subsides was pretty much unexpected so a lot of people were caught by surprise. Increases in taxes have been proposed, but that's not really attractive for people who on average already live below or very close to the Poverty line.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
You have to remember that most Oregon Counties and small cities are already poor and have been for decades.
sad but true. i would never have moved here had i known!

Old 07-24-2012, 01:51 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,814,820 times
You say you don't like gloomy days. Oregon is the gloom day capital of the country.

Eugene is a good typical example of Oregon.

It has 155 sunny days per year. That is mostly in the summer. That is 209 days per year that are cloudy and not sunny (Portland has several more), with 25 days to 26 days cloudy and dreary in December and January. November through March 50% of the days will be rainy.

If you dislike rain, and gloomy days, then you may want to consider somewhere else.

As to your wife getting a job as a teacher, remember Oregon has good teachers colleges, and most students will have to leave the state to get a job. Your wife is years away from having the qualifications that Oregon demands. A lot of teachers have been laid off, and more will probably be laid off in the future and they will be rehired before your wife would be considered.

School enrollment K-12 in Oregon has declined for 5 years and is continuing. Some districts have closed schools, and there is not enough growth to need more schools.

See article.

Oregon K-12 school enrollment continues to decline, though trend is slowing | OregonLive.com

Fact: Oregon has one of the worst economies in the Nation, and will take years to recover.

I think this is the type of information you are looking for, and hope it helps. I have children in Oregon and grand kids in Oregon schools. My big wish is they were better quality schools (in good school districts), and getting a better education, but money is so short they are having a hard time keeping up with the changes in education needed for the jobs of the future.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:31 PM

17,653 posts, read 22,715,028 times
Quote:
Find a spot you both love, where you can live at 2000 feet, or above.. There will be more sunshine at this elevation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon