Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 07:33 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,444,112 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I posted this in city vs. city and folks there recommended to ask the locals.

Which city would you all recommend for my mom? She is a very nice but kind of shy single lady in her 50's. looking for a partner but because of her reserved and introverted nature has had a bit of a hard time finding a match.

She is into gardening, walking and a bit of hiking.

I would say she is more on the conservative side socially and fiscally. Facial piercing, tattoos and all are a bit hard for her to get used to (that's the challenge with Portland for her. Boise wins in that regard). She might get used to it though- she is pretty live and let live. But I doubt she herself would be dating people who are into that kind of thing.... You never know though!

At the same time she is into nature, yoga, spirituality, natural eating, alternative medicine and things like that. She walks a lot and would prefer not to drive. She loves overcast weather and doesn't like any extreme heat or cold. This one goes to Portland.

So she's torn between the two cities. What do you all think? I appreciate any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:57 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
If she is looking for a place to live then Portland or Eugene. If she is looking for a date, the young gals are also looking for guys with a job, that don't hit, drink or do drugs, and are a good catch, so the middle age girls don't have much of a chance.

The pierced and tattooed are everywhere, so neither city is a good choice if that offends her.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:27 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
I wouldn't pay any attention to stuff like this ^^^ unless your mom is interested in dating 25 year olds.

You might give Boise serious consideration. It's a clean, livable city with lots to do.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-03-2013 at 12:14 PM..

Old 06-03-2013, 02:27 PM

330 posts, read 428,941 times
I don't mean this to be snarky, but why doesn't your Mom post for herself? I'm in my 50s and, even though I'm not the most tech savvy person out there, I manage.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia 84 View Post
Hi folks,

I posted this in city vs. city and folks there recommended to ask the locals.

Which city would you all recommend for my mom? She is a very nice but kind of shy single lady in her 50's. looking for a partner but because of her reserved and introverted nature has had a bit of a hard time finding a match.

She is into gardening, walking and a bit of hiking.

I would say she is more on the conservative side socially and fiscally. Facial piercing, tattoos and all are a bit hard for her to get used to (that's the challenge with Portland for her. Boise wins in that regard). She might get used to it though- she is pretty live and let live. But I doubt she herself would be dating people who are into that kind of thing.... You never know though!

At the same time she is into nature, yoga, spirituality, natural eating, alternative medicine and things like that. She walks a lot and would prefer not to drive. She loves overcast weather and doesn't like any extreme heat or cold. This one goes to Portland.

So she's torn between the two cities. What do you all think? I appreciate any advice!
I am a bit hesitant to recommend Portland for your mom. The people who are into the things you say she likes will be pierced, tattooed etc. I see lots of them and have known a few because my neighborhood has its share of tattoo parlours and yoga studios. All harmless but very prevalent.

If she is introverted she may have a problem. Portland isn't a place with a welcome wagon for newcomers. People are polite and friendly enough but when it comes to making friends on a more social level a newcomer has to reach out and find their own niche. Newcomers have posted this opinion many times on this forum and as a transplant myself, I find it to be true.

There are many meet up groups for young people but not so much for older people. I am 67 so I fall in the Senior Citizen category. There are some things for us. For your mom in her age bracket I am not sure. I guess there would be up activities through church organizations or special interest groups or things like that. She could Google them to see what was available.

But she would definitely have to make the effort and reach out to people to build a social life if she didn't want to sit home alone.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:19 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
My aunt, who's in her 70s, just moved back to Portland a few years back (from a farm). She lives in the South Waterfront district, and loves it. The condos filled with folk seem to have provided her with an instant "friend" pool, and she likes being close to downtown and all it has to offer.

Can't speak for the dating ... it's nothing she's looking for. But others I know (in her age range) don't seem to have trouble finding partners. One thing about a bigger city ... there's a bigger dating pool in that regard. And more opportunities to get out and meet people with more clubs, activities, etc., available.

I've never lived in Boise, though I've visited several times, so can't really speak for it. It seems much, much more conservative than Portland ... not just a little.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
There are lots of nice things for people around the ages of 60 and 70 to do. There seem to be more and more of activity centers springing up. I don't know if people in their early fifties would be interested in something like this though because they tend towards the 70's than the 60's from what I have seen.

In any case, the mom would have be somewhat outgoing and it kind of concerns me that her daughter is posting for her because she is shy. When moving to a new city, shyness can be a hinderence in meeting new people.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:42 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
... ... unless your mom is interested in dating 25 year olds.

... ...
The young ladies aren't that interested in relations with 25 year olds either. They would prefer well employed, stable, sober, mature, and settled.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:30 PM

I don't know many young women in their 20s who are interested in guys in the age bracket of the OPs mom, and I also know a lot of men that age who aren't interested in playing sugar daddy or even having a legit relationship with women half their age.

I know that you think you know everything about everything, Steve, but ..... you don't. Face it, you're not an expert on what young women want. I'm sure you have a relative or two who is in her 20s, or maybe you walked past a couple who appeared to be a bit disparate in age a week or so ago and therefore consider yourself an expert, but again -- you aren't.

Women of 54 have a good chance of meeting decent people their own age; any guy in his 50s who only dates whatever 25 year olds will go out with him isn't worth being around. Twenty five year olds who go out with old men for money and security are pretty shallow types whose numbers are dwindling as women discover that they can provide their own financial security.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-05-2013 at 01:55 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 05:35 PM

Oh, and I think it's probable that the lady in question didn't post this for herself because she doesn't even know this place exists. The daughter was probably just trying to help her mom out with more info on the places she's interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon