Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:39 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,856 times

Advertisements

HEAVY smoke today in Merlin. We hoping to see some of that rain they're talking about.
Anybody hear about the fire up at Trail, near Lost Creek Lake? That started with the new lightning early this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 12:45 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
That started with the new lightning early this morning.
Aw, geez! I heard there was a chance of lightning strikes. I was hoping they wouldn't happen and if they did, they wouldn't start more fires. You already have your hands full with the other ones. How long has this been going on now? Three weeks?

Old 08-07-2013, 01:10 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,237,773 times
Has anyone else noticed a strange taste in their milk lately? I purchased a gallon today with an odd taste to it. I threw it out. I am wondering now if the smoke from the wildfires is somehow affecting the cows and milk production.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Aw, geez! I heard there was a chance of lightning strikes. I was hoping they wouldn't happen and if they did, they wouldn't start more fires. You already have your hands full with the other ones. How long has this been going on now? Three weeks?
Since July 26th.
We lost a young fire fighter yesterday. Jesse Trader, 19. ♥

Old 08-07-2013, 02:50 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
HEAVY smoke today in Merlin. We hoping to see some of that rain they're talking about.
Anybody hear about the fire up at Trail, near Lost Creek Lake? That started with the new lightning early this morning.
They were expecting it and were on top of it in an hour. They controlled the new fires while they were very small.

I drove past the fire camp in riddle this morning and saw a sign from New Mexico in front of about 40 tents. There are agencies from all over fighting this fire.

I also heard that COPR is working on repairing the rail line between Riddle and Glendale. Maybe they learned their lesson in Coos Bay, when the state took it over. I don't suppose they like paying the Port of Coos Bay for every car they haul out of Coos Bay now. If you haven't seen the pictures, all the wood ties burned out of two trestles, and there is a lot of track with no ties. Occasionally there is other damage. There are two Swanson mills in Glendale that are heavy shippers.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:59 PM

They were showing them repairing the tracks earlier, on the news today.
I also heard that, except for the the Rocky Flat Fire (4 acres) near Butte Falls, all the others were kept under 3/4 acre. Not sure if that's accurate, but that's all I heard.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:12 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Rain (pretty rare in summer here) on this side of the Cascades today washed everything out - crystal clear skies, beautiful mountains. I suspect tomorrow will be smokey again, but it was nice today. Hope that rain didn't bring lightning with it!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:05 AM

Anyone happen to know what sparked the first fire up there? I was talking to my friend in Astoria yesterday and she didn't know whether it was lightening or arson. I was just curious and still hoping you get a good rain, any day now.

There's a new fire down here, too. Actually, farther south than this part of CA. Down in Banning. It grew pretty rapidly. Within an hour, it went from 200 acres to 5000. Haven't checked the news to see if they got it contained yet.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Anyone happen to know what sparked the first fire up there? I was talking to my friend in Astoria yesterday and she didn't know whether it was lightening or arson. I was just curious and still hoping you get a good rain, any day now.

There's a new fire down here, too. Actually, farther south than this part of CA. Down in Banning. It grew pretty rapidly. Within an hour, it went from 200 acres to 5000. Haven't checked the news to see if they got it contained yet.
Lightning caused the Oregon fires.
I didn't realize that there is a fire in Banning. My MIL lives a couple miles from there.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Lightning caused the Oregon fires.
I didn't realize that there is a fire in Banning. My MIL lives a couple miles from there.
Oh my, I hope she's okay. I haven't heard anything this morning. Then again, I don't have the TV turned on at the moment. Will check the noon news. Thank you, also, for the info on what started the Oregon fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon