Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 AM

54 posts, read 169,802 times

Advertisements

In my short 4 years living here, a homeless man burnt down 11 homes, a homeless man recently burnt several businesses downtown (they're still closed), a homeless man assaulted my wife and I when we were just walking past him to go to a Shakespeare play and recently, according to police, a homeless man sexually assaulted a teenage girl.

Last year, a young man was brutally attacked with a sword and nearly decapitated by what the police believe was a transient. The case is still unsolved.

The city proposed letting the homeless take showers in a city facility and proposed setting up donation boxes downtown for the homeless.

Anyone else as fed up as I am?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 10:15 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
What do you propose to fix this issue?

Old 05-04-2012, 11:18 AM

Well first of all, the city should not make their lives easy here.

Other cities like Burbank, Ca. will pick them up and drive them to the city border and tell them they are not welcome here and warn them that if they come back, they will be arrested. This has worked for them.

Ashland needs to realize that the homeless don't benefit the city, they ruin it. They burn our houses, they destroy our businesses, they kill our sons and rape our daughters. Fact.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:38 AM

That's not much of a solution, in fact some might welcome it. Get arrested, get food, get a place to sleep for the night? If you're desperate and have no place else to go it sounds like a good idea.

Instead the City should put them on work programs around the city at minimum wage. Tourist Info, janitors, park maintenance, etc.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
That's not much of a solution, in fact some might welcome it. Get arrested, get food, get a place to sleep for the night? If you're desperate and have no place else to go it sounds like a good idea.

Instead the City should put them on work programs around the city at minimum wage. Tourist Info, janitors, park maintenance, etc.
You've got to be kidding! Rewarding the homeless by giving them employment? There are plenty of law abiding citizens here that need the work.

Most of the homeless here are not desperate, they choose this life style. Most of what I see are young and able bodied. They don't want to work for money, they want it given to them and when law abiding people don't poney up the cash, like myself, they are assaulted.

The city would be crazy to have homeless people as tourist guides. LOL

Old 05-04-2012, 01:34 PM

Then fix the reason the people are homeless in the first place. If they're kids, figure out why they ran away from home. If they're mentally ill, get them the treatment they need, if they're poor and lost their job and house, give them a job! If they have a drug or alcohol dependency, get them treatment and help.

Bussing them to the city limits and threatening arrests do not fix the root of the problem, it simply shifts the problem to another location.

See what has happened to Portland as CA cities bussed their homeless up here? See how Portland has reduced the Prostitution problem?

Old 05-04-2012, 01:56 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Most of the long term homeless are unemployable because of alcohol or drug addiction, or mental defect. We used to institutionalize the worst of them, but the "mainstream" movement dumped them back on the streets. It's a national problem, not just in Ashland.

Many cities deal with the problem by trying to minimize contact between the homeless and normal people. Sanitation facilities are a good idea, but they should be located in industrial areas. Stores can be pressured to not sell "binge in a can" high alcohol content beer. Your local code enforcement team can force property owners to secure or tear down derelict buildings. Disruptive individuals can be trespassed out of businesses and city parks. Talk to your local police department.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:11 PM

5 posts, read 35,101 times
this is what happens when bleeding heart silly liberals completely run a town. Common sense takes a permanent holiday. My advice, run for town council and change things from the top. Make loitering breaking the law punishable by a hefty fine and a day or 2 in jail and see how long Ashland lives in fear of these losers who choose homelessness as a parasitic lifestyle. I was there a year ago, walking the beautiful downtown with my wife and was intimidated, threatened actually by a few homeless guys who somehow thought I owed them money. Ashland has a real problem, and again, it isnt the homeless, it's the idiots in charge who make staying there so appealing. Those bums think they hit the jackpot with Ashland....and they have.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:17 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Then fix the reason the people are homeless in the first place. If they're kids, figure out why they ran away from home. If they're mentally ill, get them the treatment they need, if they're poor and lost their job and house, give them a job! If they have a drug or alcohol dependency, get them treatment and help.

Bussing them to the city limits and threatening arrests do not fix the root of the problem, it simply shifts the problem to another location.

See what has happened to Portland as CA cities bussed their homeless up here? See how Portland has reduced the Prostitution problem?
The mentally ill or drug and alcohol addicts do not want treatment. The reason they are on the street is that they don't want to accept the no booze or drugs restrictions of the homeless shelters. You can't treat someone who doesn't want to be treated. Some of them are dangerous people, but you can't arrest them until you catch them, and anonymity is an effective shield. No social program is going to help the long term homeless.

The short term homeless are a separate problem, and much easier to resolve. An otherwise responsible person who loses their job and house will eventually find their footing and get back to normal. A runaway teen with adolescent hormone psychosis will eventually return to mental stability, though sorting them out from the early onset schizophrenics can be a challenge. Often a little treatment or assistance is all they need to resume a normal life. Some of them never will.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:25 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
There was a reason why our mental hospitals were secure facilities. When they were closed with the 'promise' of community treatment that population typically declined treatment and now resides in our jails or on our streets. As awful as the mental hospitals were I don't think that population is better off as a result of our effort to do better. I have had many a heated conversation with mental health professionals over this. IMHO they are guilty of magical thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon