Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

I'm curious -- are you a Canadian citizen?

I don't know where you're getting the idea that all Portlanders dress outlandishly to get attention or why it should even bother you if that were true. Dress however you want. If a few hipsters here and there are going to make a city unacceptable to you, move on. You won't find your paradise by expecting everyone else to conform to you very limited standards, though.

Personally, I can tell quality fabrics and cuts from miles away; I just don't know the specific designers anymore. The way I figure it, if someone goes out of her/his way to let me know that they're wearing labels, they're motivation for doing so something other than just wanting to wear quality items.

I also think that your stats are a bit off concerning the Asian population of Vancouver.

Move to Boise. It's beautiful, mostly white, and not many hipster types.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:07 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,764 times
The folks in Portland who wear the higher end designers end up sticking out like a sore thumb because it's just not the norm. It's not that people think they are flaunting it as much as they don't see it often because I think more people are into the hipster look or just dressing more laid back/comfortably. Most people don't give a damn what they wear or what anyone else thinks about it. You want a fashion show or a more upscale/dressier city move to LA, Boston, Miami or NYC

Old 10-14-2013, 03:14 PM

487 posts, read 897,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm curious -- are you a Canadian citizen?

I don't know where you're getting the idea that all Portlanders dress outlandishly to get attention or why it should even bother you if that were true. Dress however you want. If a few hipsters here and there are going to make a city unacceptable to you, move on. You won't find your paradise by expecting everyone else to conform to you very limited standards, though.

Personally, I can tell quality fabrics and cuts from miles away; I just don't know the specific designers anymore. The way I figure it, if someone goes out of her/his way to let me know that they're wearing labels, they're motivation for doing so something other than just wanting to wear quality items.

I also think that your stats are a bit off concerning the Asian population of Vancouver.

Move to Boise. It's beautiful, mostly white, and not many hipster types.
The city is already quite racially segregated as it is, and it's only getting more pronounced.
Chinese numbers in Vancouver, Toronto to double by 2031 | South China Morning Post
My statistics are not so off.

And, this means as someone who speaks English as a first language, it's getting harder and harder to both understand signs and communicate with these people. A lot of things are poorly translated into English if they're put out by immigrant Asians.
Hong Kong Chinese leaving Vancouver ‘by the thousands’ | Vancouver Sun

In 2011, "The city of Vancouver (distinct from the Metropolitan region) is roughly 50 per cent Asian, including Chinese, Filipino, Vietnamese and South Asian.
The suburb of Richmond is more than 60 per cent ethnic Asian, mostly Chinese, according to the 2006 Canadian census." That number has increased since then. Vancouver’s Asian population more than double Seattle’s | Vancouver Sun

Old 10-14-2013, 03:17 PM

Are you a Canadian citizen? If so, you might find it difficult to find work in a U.S. city.

I'm sure that the Asian citizens of Vancouver find it difficult to communicate with you as well.

Again, your stats are off by about 10 percent. It sounds as if that makes no real difference, in your case, because there are just too many Asians there for your taste.

If you can, move somewhere like Boise or Salt Lake. If you're a Canadian citizen, maybe you should look for cities with larger white population such as Edmonton. You probably wouldn't fare well in eastern Canada because it's got a significant number of people who don't speak English as a first language.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Most people choose to date people they like. If you think white men are purposely choosing Asian women over you, you might have some things you need to work out. Either you click with someone or you don't. I hardly think a white man would turn down a date with a white woman that he liked just so he could date an Asian woman he doesn't like. If that is the case, why would you want to date a guy like that?

We have a large Hispanic population in Oregon, and my concern for you is that you would just shift from Asians to Hispanics.
Lol, you don't know about 'yellow fever'? Oh yes, White men just love Asians. Put an Asian and a White girl out on the table for them, and they will typically pick the Asian. I don't have anything to work out. You need to get with the program.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:20 PM

YES I am a US citizen.

Porland people were VERY judgmental of me, even hateful, when I said I'd like to find a boyfriend who would be okay with NOT going to strip clubs on his spare time. If I'm not 'sexually liberated' or whatever the hell your deal is, if I have standards and expectations for the sexual behavior of my boyfriend, you people accuse me of all kinds of things--a control freak for one.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:26 PM

OK, since you're a U.S. citizen, you're free to live anywhere in the U.S. that you like. Portland obviously isn't for you. Check out Boise and Salt Lake; one of them might be white enough for you. North Dakota is another possibility, and I've heard that there are plenty of available men in that state due to their recent oil boom. Best of luck to you.

I hope you weren't typing at me with your last response...your sexual standards are of no interest to me.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:29 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,626,458 times
Maybe Spokane is another possibility, if your heart is set on an urban area in either OR or WA. But admittedly, I know next to nothing about Spokane.

But You + Urban Oregon = Not a Good Fit.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Are you a Canadian citizen? If so, you might find it difficult to find work in a U.S. city.

I'm sure that the Asian citizens of Vancouver find it difficult to communicate with you as well.

Again, your stats are off by about 10 percent. It sounds as if that makes no real difference, in your case, because there are just too many Asians there for your taste.

If you can, move somewhere like Boise or Salt Lake. If you're a Canadian citizen, maybe you should look for cities with larger white population such as Edmonton. You probably wouldn't fare well in eastern Canada because it's got a significant number of people who don't speak English as a first language.
Where did you find a statistic about the population of Asians in Vancouver? All I can find is for the 2011 census. Since then, that number is increased.

I speak French, so I'd prefer to live in Eastern Canada actually. I probably have more in common with people of European descent too.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:33 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
YES I am a US citizen.

Porland people were VERY judgmental of me, even hateful, when I said I'd like to find a boyfriend who would be okay with NOT going to strip clubs on his spare time. If I'm not 'sexually liberated' or whatever the hell your deal is, if I have standards and expectations for the sexual behavior of my boyfriend, you people accuse me of all kinds of things--a control freak for one.
I am still trying to find where people were VERY judgmental and hateful (strong word) against you in reference to your strip club comment.
I think you answered your own question here..Portland is not for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon