Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 11:02 AM

38 posts, read 96,306 times

Advertisements

We have been on a quest to move out west and out of the Chicago area but keep going back and forth as to nice areas to find. So far we visited CA in the Sacramento suburb area and also spent time in San Fran, and Napa valley. The temps were perfect and beautiful bright sunny days but the over all areas didnt appeal to us or is way to expensive.

We are trying to find an area with very little snow (none preferred) that is good for hiking, biking, kayaking, ect. We are after the beautiful mountain scenery. I like the idea of low humidity that California had, since that makes high temps a non issue for us. We also have a 3 and 5 year so a area with good schools is a must. We are suburbanites and enjoy the area around larger cities so there would still be all the local shopping and things to do available as well.

We were looking heavily into the Portland and Eugene areas a few months ago but the more research I did the more I found that it appears these areas are very gloomy throughout the year except in summer. That is also a big requirement for there to be some good sunshine as the chicago area in late fall thru spring is just dreary and gloomy and I am looking to get out of that for good.

What areas can you recommend? I have also heard that most OR people keep to themselves and are not very outgoing, friendly but not outgoing. I am just wondering if this is true or not as it may make it more difficult to meet new friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Chicagoland View Post
We have been on a quest to move out west and out of the Chicago area but keep going back and forth as to nice areas to find. So far we visited CA in the Sacramento suburb area and also spent time in San Fran, and Napa valley. The temps were perfect and beautiful bright sunny days but the over all areas didnt appeal to us or is way to expensive.

We are trying to find an area with very little snow (none preferred) that is good for hiking, biking, kayaking, ect. We are after the beautiful mountain scenery. I like the idea of low humidity that California had, since that makes high temps a non issue for us. We also have a 3 and 5 year so a area with good schools is a must. We are suburbanites and enjoy the area around larger cities so there would still be all the local shopping and things to do available as well.

We were looking heavily into the Portland and Eugene areas a few months ago but the more research I did the more I found that it appears these areas are very gloomy throughout the year except in summer. That is also a big requirement for there to be some good sunshine as the chicago area in late fall thru spring is just dreary and gloomy and I am looking to get out of that for good.
Curious why those other areas didn't appeal to you. Oregon's population (and the 'cities') are basically all in the valley, and the valley is quite grey for several months during winter. If you don't want snow that also largely blows out Bend (though Bend, despite ample outdoor opportunities isn't exactly a metropolis).

I'm not sure you're going to find a place that's perfect. My best suggestion would be Ashland/Medford/J'ville. Maybe SE Medford by the golf course/hospital? Though the area has drawbacks -for example, it's going to feel verrrry remote compared to Chicago. But it's probably going to be the most appealing combo of metro/climate/outdoors/schools that Oregon has to offer.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:45 AM

265 posts, read 402,432 times
I'm not an Oregonian, but having spent a bit of time out there I think I can safely say that most of the areas in OR that get lots of sun also tend to get snow. I think you might have to choose whether you are okay with snow, even though during the day time the sun will be out... or no snow, even though there might be gray skies. I spent a lot of time in OR this past winter, actually, and while it was relatively mild in Portland, it was snowing in Bend. Yet, during the daylight hours in Bend, I was walking around in a short sleeve t-shirt and jeans. Night time came around and I was busting out my long johns and my heavy coat though!! I experienced the same thing further East out in the John Day area, too. But there was LOTS of sunshine.

Remember though, I am not an Oregonian. (Yet).

Old 07-28-2014, 11:54 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
The sunniest part of the state is the Klamath Falls-Lakeview area: small, remote, long cold winter, snowstorms that can drop a couple feet of snow (but the snow generally doesn't linger).

The Rogue Valley (Ashand Medford, Grants Pass) would be next in terms of sunny days. It might snow a couple times in the winter, but if it does at all, it is just a dusting and quickly gone. The area does have the "Portland" gray winter, but much shorter and more broken-up.

However, I think from the OP's post that the Rogue Valley would be too small (as far as shopping and nightlife) and likewise isolated for someone used to Chicago suburbs.

Employment isn't mentioned in the first post, but unless the OP is bringing jobs (or is in the medical field), Portland is the biggest area in Oregon with the largest diversity of employment opportunities and the lowest unemployment rate.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:55 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
I totally get the "gray gloom".

That's what I hate about winter here in Alaska. On many days, the landscape is nothing but white (from the snow) and literally, shades of gray (from the mountains, fog, "evergreen" trees, clouds, etc.).

When I was in Portland during the Fourth of July week, I was told by many of the locals that in spite of the gray, it stills remains very green from the trees and grasses and that the sun still comes out several days a month.

If this is true, then it can make a huge difference between gray and overcast and truly, soul-sapping, suicidal-thoughts inducing "gloom".

Hopefully, I will get to visit sometime this winter and see it for myself.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I totally get the "gray gloom".

That's what I hate about winter here in Alaska. On many days, the landscape is nothing but white (from the snow) and literally, shades of gray (from the mountains, fog, "evergreen" trees, clouds, etc.).

When I was in Portland during the Fourth of July week, I was told by many of the locals that in spite of the gray, it stills remains very green from the trees and grasses and that the sun still comes out several days a month.

If this is true, then it can make a huge difference between gray and overcast and truly, soul-sapping, suicidal-thoughts inducing "gloom".

Hopefully, I will get to visit sometime this winter and see it for myself.
It's true. When I read the posts here about the Oregon weather being "too much" for some people, I...well, you know.

My part of Alaska doesn't get much snow, but it gets the gloom in spades -- sort of like Portland times ten -- or maybe twenty.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:45 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Winter is usually quite green in the valley - it rarely gets down to freezing, and there's ample precipitation. So yes, while the skies can be grey, the landscape usually remains quite green. You even start to get a handful of plants flowering in Feb/March, even if the roses will hold off til spring.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:47 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired of chicagoland View Post
we have been on a quest to move out west and out of the chicago area but keep going back and forth as to nice areas to find. So far we visited ca in the sacramento suburb area and also spent time in san fran, and napa valley. The temps were perfect and beautiful bright sunny days but the over all areas didnt appeal to us or is way to expensive.

We are trying to find an area with very little snow (none preferred) that is good for hiking, biking, kayaking, ect. We are after the beautiful mountain scenery. I like the idea of low humidity that california had, since that makes high temps a non issue for us. We also have a 3 and 5 year so a area with good schools is a must. We are suburbanites and enjoy the area around larger cities so there would still be all the local shopping and things to do available as well.

We were looking heavily into the portland and eugene areas a few months ago but the more research i did the more i found that it appears these areas are very gloomy throughout the year except in summer. That is also a big requirement for there to be some good sunshine as the chicago area in late fall thru spring is just dreary and gloomy and i am looking to get out of that for good.

What areas can you recommend? I have also heard that most or people keep to themselves and are not very outgoing, friendly but not outgoing. I am just wondering if this is true or not as it may make it more difficult to meet new friends.

Bend, Oregon is your best bet.
It don't have it all, but has most of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon