Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 06:31 PM

56 posts, read 110,671 times

Advertisements

So I am from Southern California and it rains so rarely here I go out of my way to do things in the rain! Like last weekend it was raining all day so we went to the zoo. But it doesn't matter, hiking, the zoo, the beach, the hot springs, even a walk around the block, rain makes it special and magical. I always run outside to stand in the rain when I hear it dripping off the roof. I am not one to walk on my lunch breaks normally but when it rains I ALWAYS do!

I am soon moving to Roseburg. While I would love any advice on Roseburg and rain/snow I would like from anyone on the WET side of Oregon:

Does rain get boring? Does it lose its magic? Does sun (which I currently get so bored of) become that magical weather that makes you run out side to play in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 07:08 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
I love the rain. It helps keep our forests green. It helps give some protection against forest fires. It keeps our drainages up to a good level (ponds, lakes, rivers, creeks). It helps the fish spawn in the rivers.
We need the snow in the mountains for a good snow pack, which is good for winter sports & play.
The snow pack is part of Mother Natures plan, come spring.

I spend time outside in all weather where I live. Just wear the proper clothing & boots.

It's the lightning strikes that we DON't need....

Old 01-15-2015, 08:42 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy_Cothran View Post
Does rain get boring? Does it lose its magic? Does sun (which I currently get so bored of) become that magical weather that makes you run out side to play in it?
You answered your own question.
Rain/sun, cold and crispy/hot and humid, night/day, darkness/light are complimentary elements of our existence. When they are in balance, it's good. When one of them overwhelms the other, it's bad.
'Everything in moderation' is the well-established principle of balanced life.

Excess of the rain does indeed becomes as hostile and oppressive as the excess of the sun.

Contrary to the popular belief, the worst season here is NOT the winter. One expects to be dark and wet in December, or January, or February. Since that's what one expects, one is not disappointed when it materializes (most years).
The cruelest season here is the spring. While elsewhere people enjoy the long days, the bright sunshine, the blue skies, rising temperatures and all the outdoor activities that come with this kind of weather, here the spring is (again, most years) an extension of winter.
April, May, often even June are only barely warmer than February (temperature 50-something to 60 vs. 40-something to 50)
It rains almost as much (or it seems so).
Yes, days are long and starting in second half of April the deciduous trees turn green. However, the cold and dark skies may, and usually will, break your warmth and light-craving heart.
Every now and then we'll have warm and sunny spells, often lasting from a few days to a week or 2, only to be crushed by the return by cold and rainy weather. This pattern lasts till the beginning of July, when the summer reliably begins.

The further south you go, the warmer and drier it gets.
Portland is noticeably sunnier and warmer than Seattle, and Roseburg noticeably sunnier and warmer than Portland. Your transition from California should not be too dramatic there.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:00 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Yes.

Rain loses it's "magic".

Rain is only "magical" when it rarely rains where you live.

When rain is a normal part of your climate, it just "is".

Then like you said, the sunny days become "magical".

Old 01-15-2015, 11:13 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Yes rain gets boring. Anything in abundance does.

I also agree that April-June is the toughest time with the gray days, and yes people run outside and play when it is nice outside. I have a very flexible work schedule and it was crazy nice two days ago. I took a middle of the day break, and took my dogs to the dog park. It was packed with dogs there. Other people getting out to play.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:17 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,254 times
In a lot of northern states winter is still hanging on in April, but rain plus 40-60 degree temps, and the bulbs and shoots coming up offer hope of turning a corner to spring.

In Portland and the Valley we get those same things, but it's just more of what we've been having since Christmas.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:57 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
In southwest Oregon, usually starting in February, we get some warm sunny days, in the 70's.
In Spring everything smells so fine, in the forest areas. The Doug Fir get new growth. Tons of wildflowers, Azaleas, & lilac bushes are sprouting up everywhere. The beautiful Cherry Blossom trees start to bloom...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon