Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 08:17 AM

5,466 posts, read 8,186,337 times

Advertisements

The editorial: John Kitzhaber must resign: Editorial | OregonLive.com

The video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov88...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 09:00 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Overall, I just feel that 16 years is way too long to serve in any form of executive capacity like this.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:46 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
If he can't detach from his girl friend he should leave office.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
If he can't detach from his girl friend he should leave office.
Fiancee. Well... clearly he can't now. Not easily. And.. even if he could. It appears to be too late. Blood is in the water and the sharks are closing in. Honestly, I haven't paid a lot of attention to this but it started getting too intense to ignore. I only just now have seen this Hayes woman. I only just now have seen Kitzhaber! Now I see what all the fuss is about. I am a little disappointed that this is what it comes down to. The amounts of money that have supposedly been misappropriated are trivial in the grand scheme. Its sordid... maybe... I don't know... but... a moment in the video was telling. The woman asked if Kitzhaber was running now with everything out in the open if he could win. The guy said that with a "halfway decent opponent he wouldn't. Well that just begs the question doesn't it? If Kitzhaber resigns, his enemies have won the battle... then what? What about the war? Who is this Kate ___________ , the Secretary of State? Will we be better off running Kitzhaber out on a rail to take our chances with her? Aside from his personal indiscretions, has Kitzhaber been a bad governor? I suspect he could easily pay back all the money that is in question and then some. Would that make it alright or is the feeling that an old sod like him does not deserve a younger woman as a consort too ingrained to shake off?

H

Old 02-05-2015, 10:33 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,626,942 times
Love is a funny thing. You do things you wouldn't normally think about doing, and you overlook things you wouldn't normally overlook. Kitz fell in love with a person who clearly has a shady past, and indications are that she is still on the shady side. He provided Cylvia with perks whether he knew it or not, which might not be such a big deal if she was open and honest. But this mysterious $100k+ that she may not have claimed on her income taxes is another indication of her lack of integrity.

He certainly has the right to fall in love with whoever he wants. I think none of this would be a big deal if this was private industry. It would still be unscrupulous behavior, but Oregonian's tax dollars wouldn't be involved.

After so many years in public office, I wonder if you start to think that you own the place and can do whatever you want. I think there are examples of this at the federal level as well. It seems like elected officials forget that basically they have a long-term temp job. Or at least that's the way it should be. His press conference was strange... he acted as if he had no idea what Cylvia does when she's out of the house. Maybe that's true, or maybe that's what he wants us to believe. But the fact is that his self-identified fiancee benefited monetarily from dealings that intersected with the Governor's office, so he must have benefited from those dealings as well.

I voted for Kitzhaber all four times. I liked him. But I agree with the Oregonian on this. For a state that has more than its fair share of challenges, we need an executive-level leader that is beyond reproach.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:55 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Somewhat like the national stage, we need candidates that present an actual choice. The Dems have had a fairly easy ride (too easy, IMO), as the R's have been pretty eye-roll worthy.

Dennis "even though I vote 100% hard-line Republican, really I am a moderate guy" Richardson, Chris "I don't actually live in this state" Dudley (of course, neither does Ron Wyden), Bill "I am not a crook" Sizemore, Kevin "there is more to life than union busting?" Mannix.

2014 Kitzhaber, Richardson
2010 Kitzhaber, Dudley
2006 Kulongoski, Paxton
2002 Kulongoski, Mannix
1998 Kitzhaber, Sizemore

I bet $5 no one in the next election will have a last name that starts with "K"....

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 02-05-2015 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: added one

Old 02-05-2015, 12:19 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,458,058 times
Did you forget about "This State is un-governable" Kitzhaber?

A lot of people are saying that his and hers indiscretions are trivial, but it isn't your poker buddy that we are talking about, we are talking about the Governor of the State of Oregon.

The TOP guy in Oregon.

Where does the buck stop?

Why aren't questions being answered completely and truthfully by the Governor?

Why did Cylvia get shipped off to Europe so quickly?

I have a feeling that we are currently at the tip of the iceberg regarding this whole mess.

Do you remember that right before the election, a top aide to Kitzhaber got fired?

Here's the Oregonian link:
http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/i..._spokeswo.html

This line at the very end just jumps out at me for some reason!
It seems to sum up the whole Kitzhaber adventure:

"I was told that as long as things were good it did not matter whether things were right."

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 02-05-2015 at 12:32 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 12:25 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,626,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Somewhat like the national stage, we need candidates that present an actual choice. The Dems have had a fairly easy ride (too easy, IMO), as the R's have been pretty eye-roll worthy.

Dennis "even though I vote 100% hard-line Republican, really I am a moderate guy" Richardson, Chris "I don't actually live in this state" Dudley (of course, neither does Ron Wyden), Bill "I am not a crook" Sizemore.

2014 Kitzhaber, Richardson
2010 Kitzhaber, Dudley
2006 Kulongoski, Paxton
2002 Kulongoski, Mannix
1998 Kitzhaber, Sizemore

I bet $5 no one in the next election will have a last name that starts with "K"....
Yeah, unless Tina Kotek decides to run for Gov!

Your point about having no choice is spot on. Dudley and Saxton (I think it was Ron Saxton, right?) were at least less objectionable, but Dudley had zero political experience and Saxton had those issues with hiring illegal immigrants on his farm. Why do we not get Republicans like Hatfield, Atiyeh, and McCall to run? Frank Morse may have been a potential contender, but I think he had enough of state politics during his two terms in the State Senate.

And let's not even start on the train wreck that was Monica Wehby in last year's US Senate election.

Are the decent Repubs too smart to enter the fray? Decent meaning somebody who wants to do the right thing for the state even it it means going against their political party's agenda on some issues?

Old 02-05-2015, 12:33 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,458,058 times
I believe that Oregon politics is so heavily democratic that the republican party doesn't seem to want to put much effort where it won't make a difference.

Hence, we basically live in a one-party state.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:50 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I believe that Oregon politics is so heavily democratic that the republican party doesn't seem to want to put much effort where it won't make a difference.

Hence, we basically live in a one-party state.
A good thing too. Unless you want Arizona here. Do you? My people have a saying: "wanty wanty no havee; havee havee no wanty... ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon