Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 01:39 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

Don't count on water here either. We have our own drought. By the end of the summer, the Willamette will be nothing but a tepid trickle. All the tributary dams are empty and there is no snow pack to feed the rivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 02:13 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,115 times
I think Larry's trying to discourage us from moving to his fine state.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:29 PM

32,648 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Oregon weather is extremely variable. We don't have any "typical" weather. The weather does what the weather wants to do without any input about what humans want.

Weather depends upon what the currents in the Pacific are doing. Whatever the weather is, we've had it before and we will have it again, and the weather will be the opposite at some point, maybe as soon as tomorrow.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:30 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Nope he is absolutely right. Lived in Oregon 14 years. When I tell people not to move here, I'm not doing it because I don't want them to ruin it. It's already ruined, and I don't want them to ruin their lives by moving to a state with bad weather, unfriendly people and an impossible economy.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I don't want them to ruin their lives by moving to a state with bad weather, unfriendly people and an impossible economy.
None of that scares me....I live in Maine.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
None of that scares me....I live in Maine.
Maine even has its own Portland, hell!

Old 06-11-2015, 03:03 PM

Yes. I live about 20 miles north of Portland, Me.

BTW, I lived in CA for 20 odd years before moving back to New England. Glad we came back for my kids and the schools, but am hoping to spend the last half of my life on the west coast. I know the drought is bad in CA now. Even during regular years, I always hated that my lawn was crunchy by May. I also didn't care for day after day of sunshine.

I actually like rain. I even like snow (just not 6 months of it.) I like seasons. I'm hoping Oregon will be a good fit. We've got a few more years to think about it, so we'll see.

P.S. I also like your user name, Mini-apple-less.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Yes. I live about 20 miles north of Portland, Me.

BTW, I lived in CA for 20 odd years before moving back to New England. Glad we came back for my kids and the schools, but am hoping to spend the last half of my life on the west coast. I know the drought is bad in CA now. Even during regular years, I always hated that my lawn was crunchy by May. I also didn't care for day after day of sunshine.

I actually like rain. I even like snow (just not 6 months of it.) I like seasons. I'm hoping Oregon will be a good fit. We've got a few more years to think about it, so we'll see.

P.S. I also like your user name, Mini-apple-less.
Thanks! I agree with you, I hate overly dry weather too! I'd rather it rain a bit every couple days year-round like it does back east. I think if you're happily single or retired/empty nested Oregon and Washington are not as bad as they are for people with children and Millennials like myself who are just starting adult life. I wish you luck! I'd suggest Eugene, Portland's western suburbs (not Tigard though), or maybe Corvallis (though it's expensive there) or Albany, by the way.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:52 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Meanwhile I look like a genius for living in Alaska. I'm staying one step ahead of global warming!!

Old 06-11-2015, 04:49 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
I was talking to someone who is already here. We're already in a pretty severe drought. If you live in Portland, have you looked at Mt. Hood lately? No snow cap. It's ash gray, and that's the tallest mountain around. Did Government Camp ever open for skiing last winter?

They opened the north entrance to Crater Lake in April, which I have never even heard of before. Normally the snow plows would be trying to get it open for the 4th of July, along with the parts of Rim Drive that go over 8000 feet. This year there's just no snow.

In Washington, the Olympic Range only has 17% of normal snow pack, and Mt. Baker is about the same. The drought doesn't stop at the California border, it's the whole west coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon