Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:31 PM

27 posts, read 130,193 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the Coast of Oregon and looking at Gold Beach. We are almost at retirement age, although not a real factor yet. Looking for clean air, clean water, natural foods, reasonable rent for 2-3 bedroom. Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 02:08 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Well two out of three ain't bad.

- Meatloaf

Or maybe in this case it is three out of four.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:25 PM

716 posts, read 2,817,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointeau View Post
We are considering moving to the Coast of Oregon and looking at Gold Beach. We are almost at retirement age, although not a real factor yet. Looking for clean air, clean water, natural foods, reasonable rent for 2-3 bedroom. Any input would be appreciated.

That section of Oregon Coast can seem like you're at the end of the earth and it's a long drive to the busting metropolis of Grants Pass.

If that and the rain, wind and gloom won't bother you then it might be a good fit.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:34 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,269 times
It is VERY isolated and small. Also a rather chilly and cloudy climate. A quick visit would easily put it into a "no way/maybe" dichotomy. There is also a good chance that Curry County will declare bankruptcy in 2011.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 28,854 times
The entire South Coast of Oregon is beautiful, but REALLY isolated. Here's the lowdown from someone who just moved from there:

GB is a really small town, and in the summer, it's either foggy, or sunny and REALLY windy. Winter storms are cool...the 101 can get nasty in the winter, especially if you go to Brookings a lot (which you will, since there is no shopping in GB, and 2 really expensive poorly stocked grocery stores, Ray's and McKays. Great names for the 2 stores in town, about 250 feet apart.) There's nothing to the north, except Port Orford, where there's not much going on. You have to drive 1.5 hours north to get to Coos Bay, which has decent shopping. I worked in Brookings for 2 years and Gold Beach for 1. GB is a pretty poor town, and the county seat. Lots of meth problems in Oregon, as well as welfare/trailer types, especially along the coast. Nearest airports (other than the private one in town) is Eugene, which is 3 hours away, or Medford, about the same. Cops HAUNT the 101, so don't speed...at all. They WILL get you.

The good parts: it's REALLY beautiful there. Quiet. Lots of sea lions by the jetty, and Jerry"s Jet Boats are a blast in the summer. Good restaurant in town (Spinner's...I wouldn't recommend the Northwestern), good pizza shop, which used to be a great breakfast place, GREAT calzones at Homie's, Curry County Fair is nice, as is the Port Hole Cafe, and decent high school with a REALLY active football program. Nice little micro-mall next to McKays, with specialty shops. Pharmacy in town has nice people, but slow and expensive. Better one in Brookings, but avoid the one in Fred Meyer. Water's clean, air is perfect, and there's one road in, one road out...the 101. I don't know about rents, as we owned there, but there are some decent condos in town, right on the beach...I'm sure in this economy, and especially this time of year, I'm sure you could find something. Check out the Curry County Reporter, or the paper in Brookings; I don't recall its name.

PM me if I can be of more help.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:08 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Both McKay's and Ray's are local Oregon chains. Ray just killed himself and his wife awhile back (Old Age and Pain), but the stores are still in business, good, clean, and well stocked. McKay's is a larger chain.

There is a full service Airport in Coos Bay, so the closest is not Eugene. It is called the Southwest Regional and uses the code OTH. It is currently served by Skywest/United and several FBO's.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 17,233 times
Wow! Lots of people don't like Gold Beach much! I've lived here for over 30 years. If you aren't addicted to malls and don't mind doing some online shopping, its a great rural area because of the Rogue River (fishing, floating, etc), Pistol River and Hunter Creek with good, but cold water, summer swimmimg, and beaches that are great. Yes, its windy in the summer, but termperatures are pleasant and it's not as foggy as Brookings. (Brookings is warmer overall.) if you live here you get to enjoy 'summer in winter' when we usually have a week+ in January with warm temperatures (high 60s+) and no wind. The grocery stores are fine, but have only limited organic produce. It's all in what you like, so I agree--come and visit a couple of different times of the year to see how you like it. Obviously, in a town this size you have to make your own entertainment! Crescent City, CA (CEC) is another close airport and both CEC and OTH have free parking!

Old 01-31-2011, 03:21 PM

48 posts, read 188,517 times
Default Arcata

The whole southern Oregon / northern california coastal area is beautiful. If you want a town that's bigger than wide spot in the road, have you considered Arcata, CA? It's a college town that prides itself in environmentalism, so the water is clean, and there is much healthy food to be had. Nearby Eureka is a normal town where you'll find a mall and chain stores. This area is a couple hours south of Gold Beach. I like Gold Beach to vacation in, and to live there would be ok. It is a stunning, but tiny town with few worthwhile jobs. There is a hospital there, but I'm not sure how good it is.

Last edited by GoBeavs!; 01-31-2011 at 04:07 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 05:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahGB View Post
Wow! Lots of people don't like Gold Beach much! I've lived here for over 30 years. If you aren't addicted to malls and don't mind doing some online shopping, its a great rural area because of the Rogue River (fishing, floating, etc), Pistol River and Hunter Creek with good, but cold water, summer swimmimg, and beaches that are great. Yes, its windy in the summer, but termperatures are pleasant and it's not as foggy as Brookings.
For some of us, no shopping is a real plus. I hit the grocery store about once every two weeks, and drive to Salem to buy clothes about once a year (nearest Men's Wearhouse). Everything else I buy online. Stores don't stock my size anyway. For instance, my shoe size is 15E. Malls are worthless to me. Since I bought a Kindle, I don't even go to bookstores any more.

The last time I went to the beach, there was no wind and no people. I let the dogs run and explore for over an hour before the first person (also with a dog) wandered by. I would trade a Costco for that any day.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:08 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahGB View Post
if you live here you get to enjoy 'summer in winter'
...and also "winter in summer."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon