Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 09:46 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have narrowed down the area of the country we are wanting to live in and it is the Pacific Northwest Oregon, Washington and Idaho. Now what we are trying to decide which area would be the best for us. We are currently living in Southern Ga and Zone 7 for gardening.
My wife is a Herbalist and is an avid gardener both vegetable and medicinal herbs. She is use to working with a season of growing from late April-middle end of October. How does this compare to out there in Oregon? Do you feel it is comparably similar? Are other areas of Oregon better than other areas of Oregon? I am sure with most areas, starting most of your seeds indoors for early start of your plants is important.
Do folks also utilize greenhouses to extend your growing season into winter? Or are winters too cold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 11:14 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
East of the Cascade Mountains the temperatures tend to extremes and the climate is dry, west of the Pacific Coast Mountains is very wet.

The best farming can be found in the Willamette & Tualatin Valleys and north to Olympia. There are greenhouses, I haven't inquired about the crops grown within but likely crops with significant margins.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:52 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
You can click on Sunset's magazines guide to Oregon climate zones here:
Sunset climate zones: Western Oregon - Sunset

if you are from the east, you might not be familiar with Sunset's zones - they are a bit different from the USDA's zones, slightly more specific.

For the USDA maps,
USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

Keep in mind that Oregon's only large city is Portland and that most of Oregon's population is in the Willamette Valley, the area between Portland and Eugene. If you need access to customers, that would be the area to be looking in.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
You can click on Sunset's magazines guide to Oregon climate zones here:
Sunset climate zones: Western Oregon - Sunset

if you are from the east, you might not be familiar with Sunset's zones - they are a bit different from the USDA's zones, slightly more specific.

For the USDA maps,
USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

Keep in mind that Oregon's only large city is Portland and that most of Oregon's population is in the Willamette Valley, the area between Portland and Eugene. If you need access to customers, that would be the area to be looking in.

Willamette is the area we like it's close to everything yet still able to get away.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:34 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
The Willamette Valley is also expensive compared to your present location. Because of the urban growth boundaries, acreage is only available outside the city limits (for the most part). Try something like this to get an idea:
Oregon Land for sale, Oregon Acreage for Sale, Oregon Lots for Sale at LandWatch.com

Water rights on the west coast are also quite different - here it is "first in time" so you need to check what is actually available. A stream or river that crosses your property does not necessarily "belong" to you and you don't necessarily have the right to dam or divert water from it.

See this thread for a quick look:
How much do water rights add to a value of a property in Southern Oregon

Old 11-29-2015, 03:05 PM

15,580 posts, read 40,450,935 times
You can use a heated greenhouse if you want, but you can also do a cloche to protect your seeds early on. There is a really good book called Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades by Steve Soloman that talks about the growing season here.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:10 PM

899 posts, read 2,943,700 times
The Willamette Valley is zone 7 and in some parts 6 just depends on where you are..If your up a bit in altitude it can be 6 but for the most part its 7..
We lots of local nurseries and there are a couple of them that do a lot of herbs, not sure on the names..I know people who garden year around and I'm in
Salem..
Should you make a trip out here to visit check my favorite play ground in Silverton..Oregon Gardens is 80 acres that shows what we grow and how we
do it out here..They do garden trials and more..I volunteer out there and tell people this is our garden the one you see from southern Oregon to south east
Alaska..There are herbs, flowers , shrubs and more plus a herd of deer to do the extra pruning..Silverton has its own herd of deer.
Go to your library and see if they have a copy of the Sunset Western Garden book..Its full of everything you need to know about gardening on the west coast.
The climate is real easy to deal with too..
Good luck

Old 11-29-2015, 04:15 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,301,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
The Willamette Valley is zone 7 and in some parts 6 just depends on where you are..If your up a bit in altitude it can be 6 but for the most part its 7..
We lots of local nurseries and there are a couple of them that do a lot of herbs, not sure on the names..I know people who garden year around and I'm in
Salem..
Should you make a trip out here to visit check my favorite playground in Silverton..Oregon Gardens is 80 acres that shows what we grow and how we
do it out here..They do garden trials and more..I volunteer out there and tell people this is our garden the one you see from southern Oregon to south east
Alaska..There are herbs, flowers , shrubs and more plus a herd of deer to do the extra pruning..Silverton has its own herd of deer.
Go to your library and see if they have a copy of the Sunset Western Garden book..Its full of everything you need to know about gardening on the west coast.
The climate is real easy to deal with too..
Good luck
Is this the garden where they do something special for Christmas?

Old 11-29-2015, 05:39 PM

We have heard that collecting rain water in Oregon is illegal & that some how they believe that own the rain. We looked at Silverton when we starting thinking about Oregon it's VERY beautiful we want to check out that garden once we get out there!

Old 11-29-2015, 06:15 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
I've gardened in So. Oregon (Medford) and No Oregon (Hillsboro). So. Oregon definitely has a longer growing season and also supports fruit trees very well. Winter vegies and herbs can be grown in both locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon