Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 12:20 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Only ones i could reasonably see people putting above it.

Alaska
Hawaii
Washington
Maine
Montana
Colorado

Not even saying i would agree, but i would at least respect their argument. And or has nicer people than all of those....
Never been to Maine so I don't know. A tie with Washington.

But I would add to the list, Utah and Wyoming and California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 01:24 PM

5,446 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Washington has more spectacular mountain scenery. There is no place in Oregon that rivals the North Cascades or even the Olympic Mountains for Alpine Scenery and Mt. Hood is tiny compared to Mt. Rainier. Oregon also has nothing like Lake Chelan where you can take the ferry way up to remote Alpine Lake towns like Stehekin. And Washington has Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands which are among the most spectacular inland waterways anywhere on the planet. The ferries are very cool. Washington just has a much more maritime feel. Oregon has nothing like that. Washington is FAR superior for sailing, scuba diving, and sea kayaking, all three of which I like to do.

Oregon has a much more spectacular coastline and beaches and a highway that runs along the coast for almost the entire state except for a small section between Florence and Coos Bay. Washington's outer coast is less accessible and most of the roads are well inland. So Oregon wins for beaches hands down. Oregon also has much more interesting high desert wilderness areas from Bend out to the wild areas like Steens Mountain and the Wallowas. If you like desert landscapes and empty country then Oregon has a lot more of that.

The both share the Gorge so you can't really attribute that to one state or the other.

Last edited by texasdiver; 05-12-2016 at 01:48 PM..

Old 05-12-2016, 08:11 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
States, and even national borders, are artificial boundaries drawn for political reasons. If you want to talk a region, you will have a point. The Rocky Mountains to the Pacific and from the Bering Strait to Lassen has some really pretty stuff to look at.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:49 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
I've been to all fifty states, seeing large chunks of each state - with the noted exception of Oklahoma (only spent about an hour there, but it was enough to see four dead armadillos on the side of the road).

Most Attractive:
(1) Oregon - extreme diversity of natural features in a fairly small area.
(2) California - even more extreme diversity of natural features, but because of its mass quantity of humanity, pollution, and lack of precipitation (less green), it lost to Oregon.
(3) Washington - unbelievably gorgeous mountains, coasts, rivers, forests - it's got most everything Oregon has, but in a smaller package. No real desert area, so it gets dinged behind OR & CA.
(4) Alaska - seriously....talk about grandeur and largesse. Not a fan of extreme cold nor extreme bugs, though.
(5) Utah - doesn't have the greenery that other western states has, but boy it makes up for it in other types of scenery such as canyons, arches, mountains, etc.
(Honorable Mention) Hawaii, Wyoming, Nevada, Arizona, Montana, Idaho.

Least Attractive:
(50) Iowa - been across it many times. Fairly flat - some gentle hills (esp. near the MS River), but otherwise, it seems like it's corn, corn, and oh look - more corn.
(48t) Illinois - zzzzz. Chicago has manmade features galore, but the state seriously lacks in natural features. The only way it stayed out of #50 was because of the small stretch of coast.
(48t) Kansas - overall (if you include manmade features), it loses to Illinois, but western Kansas has some intriguing badlands (e.g. Monument Rocks).
(47) Indiana - a little more interesting topography in the south than IL, but it's also got the Dunes along the coast, so it staves off the very bottom spots. Most of the central/north is "how fast can I speed through this" land.
(46) Delaware - pretty sure the highest spot in the state is the top floor of the Embassy Suites in Newark (yes, I've stayed there...nice hotel), so you can imagine the flatness of the state. Few hills up north, but those would be speed bumps here. And despite having a decent coast & beaches along Delaware Bay & the Atlantic, it's not enough to remove it from the bottom five.
(Dishonorable Mention) Mississippi, Connecticut.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:05 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,736 times
I've been to most of the lower 48, over my 60+ years. West coast states, ranked for variety of scenery:

1. California
2. Washington
3. Oregon
4. Hawaii
Alaska probably #5, based on variety.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:25 AM

21 posts, read 23,913 times
I know a lot of "PNW vs. New England" threads have been made in the general sub-forum, but I'm curious about your guys's opinions on how Oregon stacks up vs Northern New England. From the gist of things it sounds like Oregon is far superior.

Even though Maine has rocky coasts sort of like Oregon, what is it missing?

Old 05-19-2016, 05:42 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,739,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myshkin View Post
I know a lot of "PNW vs. New England" threads have been made in the general sub-forum, but I'm curious about your guys's opinions on how Oregon stacks up vs Northern New England. From the gist of things it sounds like Oregon is far superior.

Even though Maine has rocky coasts sort of like Oregon, what is it missing?
I'm from New England but never been to Maine but Portland looks pretty nice IMO

Acadia National Park in northern Maine

Old 05-19-2016, 07:56 PM

Also Vermont and New Hampshire are very nice as well

Old 05-19-2016, 08:56 PM

21 posts, read 23,913 times
Incredible pics, thanks for posting! +rep

Old 05-19-2016, 09:11 PM

Also the mountains in NE are not as big but Mount Washington is no joke.
Article here
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...n-off-his-feet
Quote:
"The Sherman Adams building has 3 foot thick concrete walls and 3 layers of bullet-resistant glass windows. Even with this protection, the constant, dull roar of the wind is ever-present in the Observatory's Weather Room. Heading up to the tower to deice every hour is an adventure; the enclosed parapet-like tower roars like the sound of a jet engine as a plane is taking off, and exiting the top door of the parapet is like opening up the window of that ascending jet."
Just yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWNaYd5Y8hw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-QZ5Om9_20

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 05-19-2016 at 09:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon