Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,163 times

Advertisements

So I have lived in California for all my life, it's pretty cool but they've just been putting up more and more bs laws, I've seen a lot of it, and we would like to get a move on with our life. We both have wanted to go to Oregon for a long long time, and I have had the pleasure of visiting a few times. We hope to move up there by the end of this year or something along those lines. We are both still young, just heading into the 20s.

We kind of want a place still sorta in the mountains (we currently live in the Sierras) but considerably close to the ocean, and with a bit of privacy if possible. I really like Whales Head Beach, and will be looking into the surrounding areas, and of course the suggested areas by you folks. I know a lot of ocean side houses are super expensive, so something just real close to the ocean would be cool, like a short drive/medium walk or whatever. The ocean view is not a must, I know houses that have that are even more expensive lol.

Please drop some towns that you know of that are maybe small, fairly quiet, but still have some cool culture and whatnot. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 03:31 PM

991 posts, read 1,521,219 times
Do you need jobs or do you have other income?

Old 09-26-2016, 03:36 PM

Oh yeah aha of course I forgot to mention one of the most important things! Yes it'd be nice to get a job quickly up there so we don't spend too much of our savings. Also I hope to do more schooling up there, probably going to start off with community college or something.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
search.... Oregon Coast towns with community college...

Probably Astoria will have the most opportunities for jobs and lower cost housing.

Costco is a great place to work (benefits), and night shift positions so that you can have every day off to enjoy the coast, and only have to work / go to school when it is dark out. Worked for me for 30 yrs of employment.

Better pay,
no whining day shifters.

plenty of time to pursue:
  • farming,
  • beach
  • gardening,
  • PT jobs
  • other schooling
  • daytime events
  • traffic free commute
  • non-crowded weekday shopping.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:40 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
I concur.. get a job at Costco! Work the Costco night shift and take a class or two during the day.

I am not aware of any CC near Astoria (location of the Costco on the coast). You may need to forgo your desire to live in a coastal community until you have completed CC.

If you want to live on the coast you need to acquire skills needed in that environment. Have you considered electrician or plumbing apprenticeship programs?

Old 09-26-2016, 05:04 PM

college near Astoria
https://www.clatsopcc.edu/

Newport,
Coos Bay
Tillamook
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ties_in_Oregon

and Monmouth (on the way to the coast, and a good school)
WOU Homepage - Western Oregon University

Old 09-26-2016, 06:41 PM

199 posts, read 217,837 times
Most people that live on the coast are retirees or people that work from home. There are really no jobs on the coast and any job that exists won't pay enough to live on the coast. There are also hardly any rentals on the coast, so you would have to buy a house.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:54 PM

Ah alright then, well based off the other things I put, like a nice place with possibly a lil privacy n whatnot near the forest, is there anywhere you would recommend? And yeah, we are hoping to lease to buy.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:17 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnikens View Post
So I have lived in California ...... they've just been putting up more and more bs laws,.....
Sad news for you. There have been enough Californians moving up to Oregon that they have been able to pass lots of BS laws in oregon, just like they moved up from California to get away from. If you want to get away from the CA BS, you missed your opportunity in Oregon about 20-30 years ago, and you need to plan on moving elsewhere.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:25 PM

Astoria... working for Costco (they pay decent) and going to school at local college.

You have WA to explore, only 10 min away.

You generally don't have to comply with the BS laws (unless you hire people or run a business or farm / fish) that is getting to be impossible on the left coast.

If you are a renter and an employee... life is GOLDEN in USA. the rules are in your favor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon