Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 12:09 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,383 times

Advertisements

I understand that you can camp on forest service land for free in Oregon. I've done a bit of this kind of camping in Washington, so I know a few good spots here after much driving to find somewhere I could park my car and not walk too far to a clearing, but I have no idea about Oregon. My plans are to do the John Day fossil sites - is it easy to find good places to camp on forest service land nearby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 12:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
During fire season, camping is only allowed in designated camp sites, and open fires may not be allowed. Both the USFS and the BLM maintain improved and unimproved camps. You can get a map of campsites from their web pages or from local offices. After the rains start, nobody much cares where you camp as long as you are neat about it.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:32 PM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,383 times
All the literature I have only states the campfires are banned during the season, not camping itself. All of the reservation campsites seem to be booked full for the time I will be there, so I'm relying on finding somewhere to do dispersed camping.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:01 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
I would call the district office and ask. Most forests allow dispersed camping with leave-no-trace ethics. The distances from a road or campground can vary from forest to forest, even within a forest due to high use areas and such. Plus, if you get someone from the recreation staff, they may be able to tell you the best places to go (and places to avoid).

Looks like you might want to try the Ochoco NF, too.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:05 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
The BLM manages much more land than the USFS. The fossil beds are a national monument, and your best bet would be a BLM campground in the area.

John Day Wild and Scenic River Details Oregon/Washington BLM

Old 09-06-2016, 08:16 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Not that many trees. Except in the valleys. This is high desert on volcanic ash.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:23 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Are you sure where you want to camp is actually forest service land?

There are rules about dry camping in non-camp sites. How many feet off the road, that sort of thing. I've seen the rules but don't remember them, but they should not be that hard to find.

In Oregon, you need a parking permit to park your car in the national forest. Available in all sporting good stores, BiMart, and Walmart at the sporting goods counter.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,373 times
Default Camping in the forest

We live on the John Day River, and there is great camping here. You'd be near ochoco, and can camp for free but the campgrounds are cheap $7/night) so we use them for the amenities. Also, I saw a mountain lion in Ochoco while driving through...another reason I'm a fan of campgrounds & neighbors.

We live (and work) in the Malheur. It's a gorgeous forest to explore and very close. There are millions of trees, streams, mountains and views.

If you disperse camp, there are nice facilities in the Ochoco and Dayville for cleaning up. Dayville has a good restaurant with great pie and a small store with some groceries.

The fossil beds are gorgeous and worth a trip.

https://www.nps.gov/joda/planyourvis...gional-Map.pdf
Map of nearby forests and campsites (you've probably already seen this!)

Last edited by Oregonized; 10-01-2016 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: Add PDFs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon