Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 03:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,018 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am interested in the Grants Pass area of Oregon USA, I know a few friends that live in this area... I will have work lined up if I can make it, would it be wise to get a 6 mth visa first? would this make getting citizenship easier at all?

Any help will be appreciated and let me know if i have not made anyhting clear hehe. i can elaborate more if need be.

I just wanna move to a new area near friends and start over basically hehe.

THank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 05:30 AM

41 posts, read 146,514 times
You need to visit the US embassy or consulate in your country and apply. You are not alone and there will be a waiting list.
You cannot get a tourist or student visa and then work here LEGALLY.

Good luck.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:58 AM

480 posts, read 2,466,283 times
If you have a job "lined up" your potential employer can apply to bring you over on a work visa but unless you have special education or skills, I would not count on that being successful. You cannot work with a visitors visa (which generally is valid for 90 days) and no one can employ you legally. Working legally in the United States makes it possible eventually to become a citizen, but that is a very long process. There are a number of websites by immigration attorneys that have questions and answers about coming to the United States. Do a search for U.S. immigration lawyers and I'm sure you'll find some guidance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon