Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 03:39 PM

123 posts, read 210,125 times

Advertisements

Where could you live cheaply but also comfortably? I would only need a private room, and hopefully my own private bath in a home or someone's apartment. Oregon doesn't have any cities listed on U.S. News and World Report's list of the Top 20 Affordable Cities in the country which you can find here. I've heard contrary, though. That there are areas that are really cheap. I like the looks of Eugene, but don't like the idea of living with college students (I'm in my 30s). I've read Freedom Street is the best area for non-college students, but that limits you greatly when room hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 05:43 PM

226 posts, read 258,148 times
Do you mean Friendly Street? I've never heard of Freedom St.

Eugene isn't cheap. It's more affordable than Portland, but still not cheap. What are you looking for besides affordability?

Old 10-27-2016, 07:09 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
The reason that Oregon doesn't show up on that list of "most affordable" cities is because Oregon cities aren't cheap, particularly when you compare average income and average housing costs. (Also, Oregon only has one city in the size range of the rest of the cities on that list - Portland - and Portland is not cheap.) You can find inexpensive housing in very small towns and rural areas, but then employment is problematic.

There really aren't any cheap cities (ie: population over, say, 50,000) on the entire west coast.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:30 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
If all you need is a room and no other requirements, try Baker City, Christmas Valley, Vale, Madras, or one of the small towns between Salem and Detroit Lake.

You must have heard those rumors about 40 years ago because that was the last time that anything in Oregon was really cheap.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 10-28-2016 at 07:38 AM..

Old 10-28-2016, 12:45 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Springfield or Salem area. Best bang for the buck when it comes to housing prices vs. jobs.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If all you need is a room and no other requirements, try Baker City, Christmas Valley, Vale, Madras, or one of the small towns between Salem and Detroit Lake.

You must have heard those rumors about 40 years ago because that was the last time that anything in Oregon was really cheap.
Yes, room price is all I'm looking at. To the poster above you, I meant Friendly Street, yes.

I work remotely, so the job situation isn't as important. The person posting below you said to try Springfield or Salem. So that's quite a few to choose from now. I still haven't decided where to go. I'm currently in LA, but finding it nearly impossible to find something within reason with good living conditions. I wanted to stay here, but I may have to leave. Las Vegas is only 4 hours east, but god damn I don't want to live in the sweltering desert.

Thank you, everyone. If any other input feel free to add now that you know it's mainly the rent I'm looking at.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:53 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Baker City. You can get decent small apartment for what it would cost to rent a room in these other places.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:22 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Then you need good internet as well as cheap rent.

None of the Oregon cities are cheap, most of the midsized towns are not cheap.

I recomended that you look at Prineville to see if you can afford it. It's about a 40 minute drive from Bend where there is a lot to do. Prineville has enough every day shopping for a normal life and they have Prinetime wireless internet, which is excellent.

There is also a brand new branch hospital which is a division of St Charles, which is a highly rated hospital. There are 2 lakes for boating and fishing.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Then you need good internet as well as cheap rent.

I recomended that you look at Prineville to see if you can afford it. It's about a 40 minute drive from Bend where there is a lot to do. Prineville has enough every day shopping for a normal life and they have Prinetime wireless internet, which is excellent.

There is also a brand new branch hospital which is a division of St Charles, which is a highly rated hospital. There are 2 lakes for boating and fishing.
Thank you. Yes, I overlooked that. I guess I just assume everywhere has good internet these days. I just searched on craigslist (private rooms section) and there isn't a whole lot listed for Prineville. That is the difficulty in finding rent for the smaller towns vs larger. Here, take a look:
https://bend.craigslist.org/search/r...labilityMode=0

I'm willing to pay $500-$600. But it would be nice to be able to save and stay in something cheaper while I self study by day and work in evenings.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:56 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Prineville is rapidly becoming a commute center to Bend/Redmond. The traffic coming in on 126 from the west is intense in the afternoons.

I searched zillow the other day and saw only 3 properties over 1000sf in Prineville under 100k. A few years ago they had quite a few.

Also no jobs there. The OP would be commuting to Bend, Redmond or somewhere around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon