Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:23 PM

793 posts, read 1,343,347 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input on Bend. Husband and I have no intention of moving there. Trendy ain't my cup of tea and that's an understatement.

I'm asking about Bend and the COCC because they have on campus housing and most community colleges do not. If my son decides that he wants to venture west a year ahead of the rest of the clan, and he decides to do the CC route, he'll live in a dorm.

Soooo... my questions are about isolation and things to do for "non-skiers".

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 10:40 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
Just a thought, but we walk our pooches at Mt Tabor park, and theres a lovely little private college there, its seems to have good reviews and and it does have dorms- its called Warner Pacific

heres the link-

Apply to Attend College | Portland Christian College

-that part of SE Portland (and most of SE actually, if you take out Hawthorne and Ladds Addition, I feel is quiet and down to earth, doesn't feel "trendy" at all)...

Old 01-03-2017, 08:42 AM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
......Soooo... my questions are about isolation and things to do for "non-skiers". .........
If you don't enjoy outdoor sports, things to do are more limited in Bend. There are several good brew pubs, a first run movie theater, and art film movie theater, all sorts of various festivals, darn near at least one every week.

We don't have huge dance clubs where students go to get stoned and to try to pick up a sex partner, which seems to me to be the only thing that Eugene offers that Bend does not. The brew pubs tend to be more on the quiet and dignified side. Although, occasionally, you can find someone puking in the bushes, it is not the norm.

There is every kind of shopping that you could possibly want and on top of that, there is ordering online. We have a nationally rated hospital, if your student needs medical help.

Any outdoor sport you can think of is available, up to and including surfing.

We don't actually have an opera house. Does your student die of ennui of he can't go to the opera? Eugene doesn't offer opera., either. Eugene does offer the very best and most diverse collection of campers (it is cruel to call them homeless; you will hurt their feelings) in the entire state of Oregon.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:48 AM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I think I should add that housing in Bend is incredibly tight. Under 1% vacancy rate, so your student might not be able to find a place to live. The dorms are not all that big, so unless you can get a room in the dorms reserved, rentals are expensive and most landlords won't take students.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:20 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Soooo... my questions are about isolation and things to do for "non-skiers".
Bend is an isolated area and more so when there is snow and ice on the roads. During the winter most of the young adults I know take part in snow sports.

Take a look at Eugene which is a hip college town whereas Bend is a trendy expensive tourist town.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:14 AM

793 posts, read 1,343,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you don't enjoy outdoor sports, things to do are more limited in Bend. There are several good brew pubs, a first run movie theater, and art film movie theater, all sorts of various festivals, darn near at least one every week.

We don't have huge dance clubs where students go to get stoned and to try to pick up a sex partner, which seems to me to be the only thing that Eugene offers that Bend does not. The brew pubs tend to be more on the quiet and dignified side. Although, occasionally, you can find someone puking in the bushes, it is not the norm.

There is every kind of shopping that you could possibly want and on top of that, there is ordering online. We have a nationally rated hospital, if your student needs medical help.

Any outdoor sport you can think of is available, up to and including surfing.

We don't actually have an opera house. Does your student die of ennui of he can't go to the opera? Eugene doesn't offer opera., either. Eugene does offer the very best and most diverse collection of campers (it is cruel to call them homeless; you will hurt their feelings) in the entire state of Oregon.

Damn it...My son is a sex hungry, alcoholic opera singer, so I guess Bend is out.

Seriously, these are the kinds of answers I'm looking for. As suggested by the wise posters earlier in this thread, we're looking at community colleges. I know that there are several in Oregon. The on-campus housing is the difficult part if he chooses to fly the coop before Mr. Flyer, me and our younger son.

Last edited by Radio Flyer; 01-03-2017 at 11:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon