Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 08:48 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times

Advertisements

Good Evening To All,

My wife and I will be going on a trip for a few days for our anniversary in late October, and would really like to visit the Oregon Coast. We definitely want "scenic" and love all the photos of the more rugged coastline. Along with that, we definitely want to have some hiking options as well. We prefer to either stay in a nice hotel, or be able to rent a vacation rental on VRBO/HomeAway. We don't have to stay right on the beach/coast but want to be within an easy drive.

We love the rain, and "chilly" days so late October does not detour us form wanting to go. Suggestions on some areas that could fit our "wants" would be greatly appreciated! We will be flying into Portland more than likely, and will have a rental car for the trip as well.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 10:50 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Oswald West State Park. You can hike Cape Falcon and Neakahnie from the parking lot, or there is an old gravel quarry on the side of the mountain that shortens the hike by taking you to the top on a switchback trail. The real views are out on the face of the mountain, so you have to get off the improved trail and clamber over some rocks to see the sights. It's not a hard climb. If you take the switchback trail it's about 45 minutes from the quarry to the top. If you go from Short Sands Beach it's about 2 hours or so. The parking lot is a quarter of a mile from the ocean, and the path goes through a stand of really old spruce. There are no concessions in the park, so wear a backpack with everything you will need for a day.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:04 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
by mid October, hotels should be 40-50% off summer rates. You should be able to get a motel with kitchenette for <$100 or less.

Munson Falls, south of Tillamook, on 101. Backtrack towards Tillamook to take the 3 Capes Route to Cape Meares Lighthouse, Cape Lookout, and Cape Kiwanda where you will catch 101 again to meet Neskowin and Cascade Head. Spectacular views and still somewhat affordable. Really affordable without views.

At Otis Junction, Highway 18 to Salem, about 5-6 miles on 18 will be road "Drift Creek" for
Drift Creek covered bridge, Drift Creek Falls & Suspension bridge. Interesting because the bridge is a cable suspension bridge in the wilderness. A short spell of gravel road. Continue on will get you into Lincoln City.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:15 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
A motel that is easy drive from the Beach, along most of the Oregon, a few hundreds yards at most .
Motels from Lincoln City and south to CA are mostly above the Tsunami zone

Old 07-19-2017, 07:56 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Good Evening To All,

My wife and I will be going on a trip for a few days for our anniversary in late October, and would really like to visit the Oregon Coast. We definitely want "scenic" and love all the photos of the more rugged coastline. Along with that, we definitely want to have some hiking options as well. We prefer to either stay in a nice hotel, or be able to rent a vacation rental on VRBO/HomeAway. We don't have to stay right on the beach/coast but want to be within an easy drive.

We love the rain, and "chilly" days so late October does not detour us form wanting to go. Suggestions on some areas that could fit our "wants" would be greatly appreciated! We will be flying into Portland more than likely, and will have a rental car for the trip as well.

Thanks in advance!
The only problem I see with your plan is that hiking options could be limited in October due to weather. In October the weather could be really nice, or it could be stormy.

FYI the entire coast is scenic. The Central Coast, slightly more so than the North or South Coast.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The only problem I see with your plan is that hiking options could be limited in October due to weather. In October the weather could be really nice, or it could be stormy.

FYI the entire coast is scenic. The Central Coast, slightly more so than the North or South Coast.
I figured October would have some "iffy" weather, hopefully not too bad and we can enjoy it.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:49 AM

94 posts, read 224,374 times
I would look at the Three Capes Loop that runs from Cape Meares down to Pacific City. For me getting away from Hwy 101 is very appealing and this is one of the only areas of the coast where you can do so. Cape Lookout State Park has spectacular hikes that take you out on the Cape hundreds of feet above the ocean. There is also a new natural area called Clay Meyers/Whalen Island further south for peaceful wetlands and dune hiking. Jacobsen Sea Salt works is an interesting stop on Whiskey Creek Road on Netarts Bay. Note that the Loop is interrupted between CM and Oceanside due to a road closure.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:00 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
https://rootsrated.com/stories/five-...e-oregon-coast

Old 07-19-2017, 09:06 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I second Neahkanie Mountain but don't do it in bad weather as you do have to climb over rocks to get to the top. Manzanita right by Neahkanie isn't a scenic beach, but Cannon Beach is more scenic and the view from Ecola State Park is really nice. If you stayed around the northern coast then you could also pop inland to Saddle Mountain.

If you like to hunt for agates, then I like to go to Oceanside for that. We go early for agate hunting, eat breakfast at the Blue Agate Cafe which is really good, then go hike Cape Lookout.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans64 View Post
I would look at the Three Capes Loop that runs from Cape Meares down to Pacific City. For me getting away from Hwy 101 is very appealing and this is one of the only areas of the coast where you can do so. Cape Lookout State Park has spectacular hikes that take you out on the Cape hundreds of feet above the ocean. There is also a new natural area called Clay Meyers/Whalen Island further south for peaceful wetlands and dune hiking. Jacobsen Sea Salt works is an interesting stop on Whiskey Creek Road on Netarts Bay. Note that the Loop is interrupted between CM and Oceanside due to a road closure.
Thanks for the info! I'll look into it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon