Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 09:05 PM

4 posts, read 23,645 times

Advertisements

My wife and I grew up in the Ontario, Oregon area, just across the boarder in Idaho. It's pretty much the same thing as claiming we grew up in Eastern Oregon as we lived across the bridge to Oregon and could walk a mile in two different directions and end up in Oregon. The people are nice there, they make small talk in stores while waiting in line, and people love talking to one another. People are just plain nice.

I've noticed that since we've moved to Western Oregon, the forested side, the people are the opposite, or perhaps it's JUST THIS CITY. I'm not sure if it's the weather here which makes people asocial or what. We haven't gotten to explore anything more than our city, except for trips to Walmart in Lebanon, Albany and trips to the beach in Newport, but those are rare. We live in Corvallis. The people who actually grew up here and own property, have a lot of money and almost always carry themselves this way too. They are rude, snobby and I cannot stand them. They are pious too. They're kids are the same way. The OSU students are nice, that is the one exception. A house ranges around 500,000 to a million dollars here too so I can't settle my family down here even if the people were nice.

Back in Eastern Oregon, there is always a party, housing prices are around 50,000 - 70,000 for a 3 or 4 bedroom and friends were easy to find. I don't want to live away from the trees. When I was growing up, I was forbidden to see the forests. When I turned 19, I saw a lot of trees for the first time and it blew my mind. I really don't want to be far from the forests. I also like how there isn't much snow. When we moved 3 years ago. It was -10 degrees outside, when we arrived in Corvallis it was well above 32 F.

It's wonderful here. This is the most beautiful state. I love telling people I live in Oregon. This is the greatest state in the Union, however I need to find a place where the people are nice and it's easy to meet a drinking buddy or something like that, and where housing prices are okay.

I have spent entire weeks reading up on this, I have been unable to find anything substantial on this topic. I think this is my last hope.

Any ideas or suggestions? I will reply to each posters comments. This is very important to my family and I. We are all unhappy here and none of us want to move back to Eastern Oregon. It is far too ugly, the climate is awful and the education system is one of the worst in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 09:35 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
You need a smaller city, like Silverton or McMinneville I think. You won't get those housing prices out here except in the most remote of areas. Corvallis is one of the more expensive cities to live in in the valley.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:07 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Why did you choose Corvallis? As Silverfall said, it's one of the most expensive cities in the entire state outside of the Portland Metro area.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:20 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
You grew up in the area in Eastern Oregon, and you knew your neighbors. Of course they were friendlier. They knew you.

Even if you move to a smaller town, you're still going to have to make an effort to get to know your neighbors.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:40 AM

57 posts, read 273,090 times
Have you checked out Grants Pass? If you want trees, we've got 'em in spades. They're everywhere. We've got three rivers in the area too, one that runs right through town (the Rogue). I have been here 5 years and love it. I moved here from Sacramento, where people only speak to you in public places if they're asking for spare change. When I first got to Grants Pass, people would start talking to me on the street and I would immediately recoil, waiting for the "money" question. It never came. People talked just to talk and be friendly. It still catches me off guard, in a nice way.

It's not perfect here. It's a tough place to find a job, especially a good paying one. Most folks who are doing well seem to be in the medical field in one way or another. It can get foggy in winter and smokey in summer when fires are burning in the area. But much of the time it's beautiful. When it snows, it's light and usually is melted away in a day or two.

Housing prices are more than you might like, however there are places available below $100k. Most are mobile homes or smaller stick built houses in town. My girlfriend just bought a 3br/2ba roughly 1500 sq. ft. place in a decent neighborhood for $165k.

Take a look at Medford too. It's a little less friendly and a little more impersonal, from what I've seen, but still not bad. Medford proper isn't all that treed but the surrounding areas are. More jobs there though.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:18 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyRynearson View Post
My wife and I grew up in the Ontario, Oregon area, just across the boarder in Idaho. It's pretty much the same thing as claiming we grew up in Eastern Oregon as we lived across the bridge to Oregon and could walk a mile in two different directions and end up in Oregon. The people are nice there, they make small talk in stores while waiting in line, and people love talking to one another. People are just plain nice.

I've noticed that since we've moved to Western Oregon, the forested side, the people are the opposite, or perhaps it's JUST THIS CITY. I'm not sure if it's the weather here which makes people asocial or what. We haven't gotten to explore anything more than our city, except for trips to Walmart in Lebanon, Albany and trips to the beach in Newport, but those are rare. We live in Corvallis. The people who actually grew up here and own property, have a lot of money and almost always carry themselves this way too. They are rude, snobby and I cannot stand them. They are pious too. They're kids are the same way. The OSU students are nice, that is the one exception. A house ranges around 500,000 to a million dollars here too so I can't settle my family down here even if the people were nice.

Back in Eastern Oregon, there is always a party, housing prices are around 50,000 - 70,000 for a 3 or 4 bedroom and friends were easy to find. I don't want to live away from the trees. When I was growing up, I was forbidden to see the forests. When I turned 19, I saw a lot of trees for the first time and it blew my mind. I really don't want to be far from the forests. I also like how there isn't much snow. When we moved 3 years ago. It was -10 degrees outside, when we arrived in Corvallis it was well above 32 F.

It's wonderful here. This is the most beautiful state. I love telling people I live in Oregon. This is the greatest state in the Union, however I need to find a place where the people are nice and it's easy to meet a drinking buddy or something like that, and where housing prices are okay.

I have spent entire weeks reading up on this, I have been unable to find anything substantial on this topic. I think this is my last hope.

Any ideas or suggestions? I will reply to each posters comments. This is very important to my family and I. We are all unhappy here and none of us want to move back to Eastern Oregon. It is far too ugly, the climate is awful and the education system is one of the worst in the US.
The ones with no social skills are mostly California transplants. Oregon natives are pretty friendly folks. I'm a native, and talk to strangers all the time. About half the time they have no idea how to respond. I just feel sorry for them and move on.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:05 PM

260 posts, read 656,975 times
My dad, a native Oregonian just straight out talks to strangers, anyone nearby, very friendly with everyone right off the bat. I (also native Oregonian) have a tendency of doing the same (and often seems to get interesting results where I live now, to say the least, lol). My mom, a transplanted Californian was very unfriendly and a bit of a, well...snob. She wouldn't give you the time of day if she thought you were a certain social class.

I don't know Corvallis well enough to know the social atmosphere and demographics, but if you're in the high dollar neighborhood, I'd venture a guess that it is a very high percentage of transplanted Californians.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:01 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
We lived in California for a short time before we moved to Oregon. (I'm from a different state originally, and my hubby and I have lived all over - especially the hubby who has lived in 9 different countries.) When people we knew in California heard that we we moving to Oregon (and I would describe these people as upper middle class types - Lexus SUV driving fake tan McMansion types), they would respond by saying things like, "Oregon people are weird..." and "Watch out for the hippies and rednecks..." and "don't send your kids to the public schools..."...

I think Californians - some Californians, anyway - sort of have this low opinion of Oregonians, like all Oregonians ignorant country bumpkins or something... and when they have to move up here because their state (California) is so stupid crazy messed up they sort of bring this attitude with them like they are better than everyone here because they are not from here. I've also noticed that they try to make their new area in Oregon like their old area in California (anyone been to Bend lately?).

Anyway, that was our experience. We quickly learned not to tell people we moved here from California, because then they assumed we were from California, and Oregonians would treat us differently, based on the behavior they had seen from other Californians (snooty, stuck up, plastic, shallow, rude).

So when people ask where we're from, or where we moved from, I tell them we're from "all over", which is more to the truth anyway. We lived in a lot of other places before we chose to settle here - because Oregon is an amazing place and IMO the best place to raise kids.

OP - Corvallis may not be a good fit for you, but I'm sure if you keep looking you can find a town that will feel right for you and your family. We love Eugene. It's friendlier than Corvallis IMO (just our experience) and there are areas that are pretty affordable, especially over in the Springfield area. Lately my hubby and I are liking Springfield better than Eugene for a number of reasons, but we're sort of stuck in Eugene until the kids finish school.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:58 PM

75 posts, read 186,504 times
Usually broad generalities such as "the people here are not friendly" only serve to keep you in your state of resentful isolation.
I have lived in Corvallis for 6 years now and have not encountered the problems you mention other than maybe the high cost of housing and that is easily solved by moving to an area where not many people want to live.
I have lived in many areas of the US, altho this is my first time as an OR resident, and I have found that every place has a few unfriendly folks but that by & large the majority of people are outgoing, friendly and helpful.
Almost every time I go out here I strike up a conversation with a complete stranger.
Maybe you need to adjust your expectations and allow some time to adapt to your new surroundings?

Old 11-26-2013, 02:11 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,710,032 times
I lived in Corvallis for about 7 years and I regretted moving away. I always found the majority of the residence friendly and open. While you will find unfriendly folks everywhere you go, I honestly believe the majority to be good friendly people. The residnece of Corvallis also seem to have pride in the community they live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon