Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 07:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Exactly, "going to the beach" insinuates that you plan to lie on the sand and sunbathe, and go swimming in the ocean. That is not the same activities Oregonians do when they say they are "going to the Coast. It's as different as night and day.
I agree with you completely. That's why I never understood why my Oregon friends always referred to going to the Coast as going to the beach. I even remember when I was very new to Portland asking them why they did that since the definition of beach to me was as you describe. It's what we did in Chicago when we wanted to go swimming with lifeguards and places for changing into swimsuits and sitting on a blanket in the sand having a picnic etc.

Their answers were always that the PNW definition of going to the beach is different than the Midwest or California or other places where people went to swim and play in the sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 10:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I agree with you completely. That's why I never understood why my Oregon friends always referred to going to the Coast as going to the beach. I even remember when I was very new to Portland asking them why they did that since the definition of beach to me was as you describe. It's what we did in Chicago when we wanted to go swimming with lifeguards and places for changing into swimsuits and sitting on a blanket in the sand having a picnic etc.

Their answers were always that the PNW definition of going to the beach is different than the Midwest or California or other places where people went to swim and play in the sand.
I don't know about Portland, but in Eugene, we have those green ODOT signs with the wording "Ocean Beaches." I've seen them elsewhere in the state -- can't recall where offhand.

I've always just figured that people say what they say and we all know what they mean.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:03 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't know about Portland, but in Eugene, we have those green ODOT signs with the wording "Ocean Beaches." I've seen them elsewhere in the state -- can't recall where offhand.

I've always just figured that people say what they say and we all know what they mean.
I believe you are thinking of old signs. ODOT uses Oregon Coast on the current signs, unless they are referring to a specific beach.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:15 AM

So? The one in Eugene says Ocean Beaches. So does the one in Dundee. SMH.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:29 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,896 times
In japan they usually say sea/ ocean more then beach. I always say beach, I’ve never said I’m going to the ocean. But I probably would say that now since the ocean if pretty far because I moved. Oregon coast doesn’t sound very good. It sounds like Oregon cost, where you buy stuf like it’s a store. I’m kidding

Old 11-05-2017, 12:46 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
The Beach is very different from the "Coast" in Oregon. There are a lot of Beaches and each is isolated from the next geograhically.
The Beach can be very cold and windy while just a hundred yards inland can be be very sunny and warm. It's an amazing phenomenon. And yes, I never go to the Beach when it's +90 in the Valley, because the Beach is too cold. I'll go to the Beach House (inland 1000 yards).

Old 11-05-2017, 12:57 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Again I believe you are thinking of the past. ODOT's current signs all say "Oregon Coast". I haven't seen any "Ocean Beaches" signs in years, except for the ones in Grants Pass for US-199. I would guess those retain "Ocean Beaches" because ODOT prefers that to "California Coast".

I would be interested to know what the story behind the Ocean Beaches signs was. I have a suspicion that the Oregon Tourism Commission probably had something to do with it. Maybe they thought that Ocean Beaches sounded better and was more likely to get tourists to get off I-5 and drive over to the coast. Whatever the reason was, they don't use those signs anymore.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:36 PM

^ Could very well be I'm thinking of the past, now that you mention it. Out of curiosity, though, I actually looked it up and found this, so it would seem the signs are still in use in some areas.

Quote:
To Astoria, Seaside, Cannon Beach and Manzanita – take I-5 north to Portland, then take 217 exit near Lake Oswego, following “Oregon Beaches” sign – take 217 to Hwy 26, then to coast.
Oregon Coast Map and Mileage Chart - Map of Oregon Coast and Miles

Old 11-05-2017, 03:42 PM

679 posts, read 878,486 times
I live on the coast and I go to the beach.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:18 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Study your geology. From Eugene you end up in Florence, and the Oregon Dunes. Lotsa sand. From Dundee you end up in Lincoln City. Lotsa sand. Seaside-Cannon Beach has lotsa sand too. Oregon has at least four coastal beaches that I know of, and at least 200 miles of rocky headlands. That's not to speak of the tidal mud flats. Lotsa clams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon