Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2018, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 1,981 times

Advertisements

Hello
I am looking to move back to the Beaverton area after living in Pittsburgh. I've had enough of these freezing winters and want to return to the city I grew up in. I'm leery about the rental increases though. When I last rented a place in central Beaverton, in 2015, they raised the rent by $100.00 in an eight month period. I'm not sure if the rental increases have eased or gotten more expensive. My brother and mother will be moving with me and we'll probably take home around $3200.00 a month after taxes with our combined income. Would this be enough to rent a 2 bedroom in Beaverton? Or will the rent increases make this move a nonstarter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 08:24 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
You aren't the only family wanting to move into the greater Portland area. Lots of people moving in, construction is not coming anywhere near keeping up, and there is a shortage of vacancies.. that makes rent go up.

Rule of thumb, many landlords want income to be 3 times the rent. You've got $3200, so probably can qualify for slightly under $1100 rent. I think you might have problems finding a rental big enough for 3 adults in that price range. Even if you find one, rents are still going up, so you might not be able to afford it for long.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:47 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
What you are seeing is a result of a good residential real estate market. When the local residential market is up, so are rentals. Property taxes (in general) go up when housing prices go up, but I'm not certain about Oregon restrictions on this. In general, when property taxes go up the landlords simply pass that cost to renters. It is pretty simple economics.

I live to the north in Washington, and rentals have a direct increase correlation to property values. If you want cheap rents you will likely need to locate in a real estate market that has less property appreciation.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:54 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I agree that you will want to keep your rents around $1100 a month and that is difficult for a two-bedroom in Beaverton. There is a lot happening in the Portland metro area with mandatory moving fees and such as rent prices are skyrocketing there.

I own rentals in Salem and I can tell you that rents here are increasing rapidly as well. The real estate market here is escalating very quickly.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:19 PM

266 posts, read 259,441 times
[quote=oregonwoodsmoke;51247144]Rule of thumb, many landlords want income to be 3 times the rent. /QUOTE]

I believe the rule of thumb is 3 times gross income, not take home pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon