Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 03:02 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,795 times

Advertisements

What do you LOVE about Oregon? - The beauty and the summers.

What do you HATE about Oregon? - The cold, wet winters and spring allergies.

Is it a challenge to find jobs,and decent people? - Depends on your skills. The question is, will the job you find cover your needs and at least a few of your wants? Sorry, but I can't answer that.

From your point of view, is Oregon a great place to grow roots and plant a family? - Yes, IF you enjoy the part of Oregon that you are in. Oregon has MANY different areas with different climates, landscapes and people.

Would you stay or leave, if it was an option? - If it were an option, I'd spend at least part of every summer here in Oregon and visit family once in awhile but live elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
So I moved to Oregon 28 years ago now from Illinois. Not Iowa, but similar.

We do have a growing homeless population due to a serious lack of affordable housing and people moving to the state so this is a significant issue, in my opinion.

1) I agree affordable housing is a problem
2) I would project 92%+ of the Oregon homelessness problem is NOT related to housing costs / available affordable housing.

Much of the homelessness is by personal choice (There are LOTS of employment opportunities in Oregon, if you want a home... you work 2-3 jobs like the rest of us in many Worldwide locales)

So... circle back to Oregon politics. +/-

Old 02-16-2019, 04:01 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
1) I agree affordable housing is a problem
2) I would project 92%+ of the Oregon homelessness problem is NOT related to housing costs / available affordable housing.

Much of the homelessness is by personal choice (There are LOTS of employment opportunities in Oregon, if you want a home... you work 2-3 jobs like the rest of us in many Worldwide locales)

So... circle back to Oregon politics. +/-
I disagree. We have a lot of working homeless here. You do realize when you have kids that you have to pay for daycare out of your wages, right?

Oh and just to be clear I own rental properties and I know what I can get for rent vs. what the median income is here. We have an affordable housing problem.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:16 PM

497 posts, read 484,602 times
I've lived in Oregon for about a decade and my dislikes outweigh my likes. These are my own personal feelings and everyone's experience is different.

The forests and the ability to get out of town in a fairly reasonable amount of time.
The summers. Hands down some of the best I've experienced.
My family lives here.

Dislikes:
Massive population growth.
Outdoor areas are overrun with people and difficult to find solitude unless you drive way out of your way.
Cost of living and housing has gone through the roof.
Weather in the winter.
Mountains are just too small and far away for me. (I much prefer the Sierra Nevada's & Rocky mountains)

Old 02-17-2019, 07:52 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
I've lived in Oregon for about a decade and my dislikes outweigh my likes. These are my own personal feelings and everyone's experience is different.

The forests and the ability to get out of town in a fairly reasonable amount of time.
The summers. Hands down some of the best I've experienced.
My family lives here.

Dislikes:
Massive population growth.
Outdoor areas are overrun with people and difficult to find solitude unless you drive way out of your way.
Cost of living and housing has gone through the roof.
Weather in the winter.
Mountains are just too small and far away for me. (I much prefer the Sierra Nevada's & Rocky mountains)
Great post. I agree except I don't prefer the Sierra Nevada's and the Rocky Mountains. Although the mountains in Oregon are a lot smaller than the Sierra Nevada's and the Rocky Mountains, most of the forests in Oregon are much thicker and lot greener and more lush. The forests here are totally superior to the Sierra Nevada's or the Rocky Mountains.

As for difficulty in finding solitude. I can't agree with that either. Of course you have to drive some distance to find solitude. But not very far. I live in an area that is overrun with tourist, but I can drive for 20 minutes and be in an area that is so remote, that if I got stranded there it could be days before anyone would find me. That is solitude. Portland has more forest in the city, than probably any other city, other than maybe Atlanta. So you should be able to find a degree of solitude right in the city.

I would move those two points to the Likes. But I would add another dislike for tree farming. It is pretty sad that it's almost impossible to go anyplace in Oregon, and not see clear cuts. That is one point where the Sierra Nevada's and the Rocky Mountains come out ahead. You just don't see that kind of forest cutting in those places.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:56 PM

497 posts, read 484,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Great post. I agree except I don't prefer the Sierra Nevada's and the Rocky Mountains. Although the mountains in Oregon are a lot smaller than the Sierra Nevada's and the Rocky Mountains, most of the forests in Oregon are much thicker and lot greener and more lush. The forests here are totally superior to the Sierra Nevada's or the Rocky Mountains.

As for difficulty in finding solitude. I can't agree with that either. Of course you have to drive some distance to find solitude. But not very far. I live in an area that is overrun with tourist, but I can drive for 20 minutes and be in an area that is so remote, that if I got stranded there it could be days before anyone would find me. That is solitude. Portland has more forest in the city, than probably any other city, other than maybe Atlanta. So you should be able to find a degree of solitude right in the city.

I would move those two points to the Likes. But I would add another dislike for tree farming. It is pretty sad that it's almost impossible to go anyplace in Oregon, and not see clear cuts. That is one point where the Sierra Nevada's and the Rocky Mountains come out ahead. You just don't see that kind of forest cutting in those places.

I prefer the higher (and drier) elevation forests. I can't say that I don't enjoy the forests in Oregon, but if I had to choose it would be the Colorado Rockies every time.
I live in Salem and it seems most of the more beautiful places to hike or recreate in general are overrun. I guess I just don't know the good places to go.

P.S. I am not a fan of Portland. I can count the times I have been there in the last five years on one hand.

P.S.S I agree with the clear cutting issue, also not a fan of seeing vast swaths of stumps while driving through the forest.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:52 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
I prefer the higher (and drier) elevation forests. I can't say that I don't enjoy the forests in Oregon, but if I had to choose it would be the Colorado Rockies every time.
I live in Salem and it seems most of the more beautiful places to hike or recreate in general are overrun. I guess I just don't know the good places to go.

P.S. I am not a fan of Portland. I can count the times I have been there in the last five years on one hand.

P.S.S I agree with the clear cutting issue, also not a fan of seeing vast swaths of stumps while driving through the forest.
Since you live in Salem, the backcountry trails at Silverfalls State Park are a fast drive for when you are short on time. I think we see maybe 1-2 other people the whole time we are hiking on them.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,878 times
Hey threre! Well, I wrote you a realllly long reply, which somehow disappeared. Maybe the computer timed out. Anyhow, not much time to re-write so to answer your questions:

My questions to Oregonians:

(well, I never considered myself an Oregonian - FYI)

What do you LOVE about Oregon?

-The state itself has part of Old Rt.30. Drive to the Pacific Ocean for starfish, or the Gorge
or Mt. Hood for hiking trails.

- Lots of healthy options with regards to if you eat a plant based diet. Loads of natural health food
stores, food co-ops, and farmer's markets. Natural Grocer's is pretty solid with it's ethic and doesn't
sell soda, even. Tons of food items to purchase in bulk - for savings!

-Many of the aforementioned spots will often sell handmade soaps, incense, sage, supplements, essential oils, gluten-free breads, what have you.

Other American cities, you may be lucky to find simply one food co-op. So this is a nice state if you are serious about having conscious minded products whether it's sunscreen or lip balm or even a local band's CD.

Veggie Grill (https://www.veggiegrill.com/) - essentially 'vegan' causal dining. It's kind of pricey and techie (especially if you go to Seattle) but an interesting business model, nonetheless. The food is superb, and some of the best veggie food in this kind of setting you'll ever find!

What do you HATE about Oregon?

Ok, so let's not use that word.

This is about Portland:

People in Portland are passive aggressive. Say one thing, mean another. About face, indian giver, my mom pays all my bills etc. Having lived in both England and America's East Coast, it was intolerable to live among such 'phone face droids'. People in Portland will walk across the street with a Starbucks in hand, yet call themselves 'progressive.' (how can anyone drink a hot beverage while walking?) In turn, I met others from places like New York, or Florida - who had fine communication skills - and mostly hung out with them, as time allowed.

Hipsters - aka 'social justice warriors'. These people create 'advocacy groups' but often try to 'out' people who they represent. (anything from being vegetarian to being gay etc.). They all wear their political views on buttons on their backpack.

Car damage - Moved into the city -less than 2 months - car = window busted out (was parked on a side street near my apt) - purchased new vehicle later on- got STOLEN twice (from parking lot of apt complex). Phone stolen from car (left in car by accident - car prowlers - stolen from car - (parked on a side street near apt).

People have no social skills! I'd be cordial, then someone would think I'm hitting on them or their new best friend. But, I was just simply being polite.

No one's dependable. Portland is "where young people go to retire." If you need a ride to work while you car is in the shop - no one carpools. No one will take you to a doc appt if you have an injury or sick. I met no one who was nurturing, loving, or genuine as simply a friend. Everyone out for themselves. Dog eat dog, and never forged any close friendships.

Bus system is a joke. In Europe - the whole transit system is flawless. All transfers connect, and bus drivers give accurate information and know the cities well. America - it's horrendous. Half the bus transfers never show, bus shows early or is late - you'll get there in 20 min. in a car or 55 min on a bus. Add that up over your entire life - how much time have you wasted? Also, the "TriMet" runs from one boring suburb to another (buses and trains). There's no real economy in either suburb (Gresham to Beaverton) yet a busline runs from one to the other. Bus drivers who are decent are from London.

On the East Coast - every town - is it's own town. Period. People enjoy and value privacy. Portland - people are nosy, up in your business, ask you very personal questions too quickly in a relationship and talk more about people than ideas.

Worst police ever! I was pick-pocketed once - the police officers were rude and said "go online and make the report." Like, they were bothered I called. Report was approved 3 MONTHS later. What a joke. In a different city where I lived, I had a theft from a park - officer arrived promptly, was very present - on the lookout for 'the bad guy' found some of my items around in the park (had a bag stolen), gave me his card and a case number - took the report then and there. Very reassuring. Genuine care and concern for citizen welfare. NOT in Portland!

Portland police often falsely arrest, then the arrest is thrown out in court. This happened to a friend of mine. I called some attorneys for the friend - apparently this happens way too often. Friend went to court - thrown out the next day (or nocomplainted). Now friend has an arrest record - shows up on job applications and some rental apps.

Too many bars and tattoo parlors - grow up already! People in their 30s still work at bars and tattoo places - while there are people who are without homes all over the City center. Seems like a bit of 'don't look that way' syndrome. Like, if you put all that energy of learning how to ink someone's arm into helping the vulnerable community members. It would turn the persona into a person.

New Seasons - (food mart, sells health food, supplements) - negates itself by selling - Coca-Cola products?! omg!

Burgerville (fast food joint) - greasy crap, but hyped up because it is 'local' - french fries are still fries

Vegan and Vegetarian 'junk food' eaters - omg - Very self-righteous - like as long as it's 'vegan' I can
eat it. It's reaalllly processed (ToFurky). Some of these people completely disregard health and will eat
all frozen or packaged so-called 'food' so long as it's 'vegan.' This is not to be confused with people whose diet is 'vegan'/'vegetarian' yet they actually know how to cook/prep their own meals.
Going off that there's a 'vegan' donut shop - Doe Donuts - "Jet Black" vegan grocers (sells 'vegan' twinkies) and so on.

Housing crisis - essay in and of itself - even employed people cannot find new apartments. It's crammed and crowded. People who are homeless are out on the street in the RAIN (it rains a TON - sometimes for days on end ). No initiative to help people get back into housing, but rather create a 'sanctuary city' status, allowing people to sleep on sidewalks 24/7, 365 (o.k in theory,but each deserves a home).

Leaf blowers - what the hell? Leaves fall from a TREE, yet people walk around with leaf blowers through parking lots and downtown in Portland blowing leaves off the sidewalk?!

Cameras everywhere - now - in grocery stores- all the self-checkouts have cameras. Big screens when you walk into a grocer's like a Fred Meyer or Safeway.

Too many people on drugs (not their fault) but get into legal trouble in Oregon you are stuck for life. Thankfully, that is not me, but there isn't much drug and alcohol treatment - just the illusion. Too many people selling downtown that enable people who got clean, so it's difficult to really help people who need it - they have to go out of state.

Insular and group think - most people I met in Oregon were very insular. Many had not traveled outside the country or had even been to the East Coast of America - nor CARED TO!. A lot of people were concerned with what they were doing as an 'artist' or what their band was doing etc. Not so much worldly affairs or the local homeless crisis happening right before their very eyes.

People take everything personally - disagree with someone or call someone out on their BS = it's over. Very immature. As such, no one you will meet will actually help you to grow or call you out when you need to be put in your place. Superficial 'friends' and that's how they all are. Like if you are suicidal or struggling with an addiction etc. man, you are screwed. People are ashamed to discuss with friends about what's really going on day-day. When I moved away, I found people who were more apt to show their flaws and human side, and talk about things such as post-traumatic stress, for example, which would be 'off topic' to any so-called 'friend' I had here.

Mental Health Crisis- omg - essay. Look up "Unity" hospital. It's a dump psychiatric hospital that violated a lot of health codes. What a waste of currency. Anyone who knows anything about mental health knows out-patient treatment is the best for the patient and doctor - allowing each time to breathe. But, due to the housing crisis, people's mental health cannot be addressed. No home = no way to rebuild your life or engage in meaningful OUT-PATIENT treatment - which is VERY VERY effective.

No Chilvary! - omg open a door for a lady - it's ok!!! Oh, and on buses - young kids sit and older people stand? No one moves for people! I had a very bad injury and needed to sit - and some 20 something kid would be texting and I'd be having muscle spasms.

I did a lot of outdoors stuff solo - and I am ok with that. Just too many people want to bring beer on a hiking trail
and it was pretty pathetic. Like, drink on the trail! *omg* people on cell phones on a hiking trail! omg. You have
to get up early to get on the trail before everyone to get some peace.

Is it a challenge to find jobs,and decent people?

YES! had a better paying job 10+ years ago making a salary. Promoted less than a year - even
turned down an offer for a company paid further training in the field for a whole other
credential. Never found anything like that in Portland/surrounding.

From your point of view,is Oregon a great place to grow roots and plant a family?

Not applicable. Most of Oregon, sadly is a bunch hillbillies. The education system is horrible! Like Mississippi. Even Florida is better than Oregon with education.

Would you stay or leave,if it was an option?[/b]

Left

Last edited by sim_333; 02-27-2019 at 12:22 AM..

Old 02-27-2019, 12:10 AM

231 posts, read 239,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyIowa91 View Post
What do you LOVE about Oregon?

What do you HATE about Oregon?

Is it a challenge to find jobs,and decent people?

From your point of view,is Oregon a great place to grow roots and plant a family?

Would you stay or leave,if it was an option?
I love how beautiful it is here. I live in southern Oregon, and as others have said, the different regions are quite unique. The intersection down here in the SW part of the state where the Cacades intersect with the Siskiyous is amazing. Fantastic hiking, rafting, snowshoeing in all directions, fast rivers, beautiful mountains. I also love the generally casual and individualistic character of most of the people who live here.

I hate how freaking hot and dry the summers are --and this is different from the coastal and northern parts of the state-- it is awful for me. Also the regional summer wildfire smoke has gotten very bad and, sadly, rather consistent over the last few years. The fall and winter is my favorite time. Lovely. The best.

I haven't spent much time looking for jobs. On the occasions when I did, it wasn't hard to find one. (These were jobs in the office management and accounting field, mostly.) Definitely lots of very decent people in my area. Different people, spanning the gamut of hippies to cowboys to hipsters to tradesmen to every manner of entrepreneur.

I have lived here for 20 years. My kids were 10 and 7 when we moved here. They are grown and gone now, but it was a perfect place to raise them.

We will be moving away at the end of the year, but not because of disliking southern Oregon. We are just ready for a change and husband is retiring, so on to new adventures.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:47 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim_333 View Post
Hey threre! Well, I wrote you a realllly long reply, which somehow disappeared. Maybe the computer timed out. Anyhow, not much time to re-write so to answer your questions:

<multiple screens deleted>
Thanks for a morning belly laugh. The part about the Coca-Cola cooties was particularly funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon