Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 PM

152 posts, read 628,041 times

Advertisements

So in Montana, my studded winter tires are very necessary, esp. on my hill. When I move to Grants Pass , Oregon, will I still want to have these??? I will be living in a flatter area. Will I want them for passes into California?
If not, I'll sell them before moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 11:37 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Bring them along. You will need them in the passes both north and south. They are legal in Oregon from November 1 to March 31. Some winters you won't need them at all, other winters you will need them to get out of your driveway.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
I lived in Crescent City, but would drive up to Grants Pass and down into Redding, even in snow. I didn't even use chains. Just drove slowly with all-weather tires in a rear-wheel drive 93 Nissan pickup. If you're driving on the main roads, they're all plowed.

I did live in the Cascade mountains in WA for a long time, and studded tires got old even up there, dealing with putting them on and off by the deadlines and storing them. I ended up just using chains when necessary and quit using studded tires.

I found this article which I thought you'd find interesting:

https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/De...507976161.html

By the way, enjoy Oregon. I really like Grants Pass. Compared to MT, you're going to feel like you moved to the tropics.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I would keep them if you plan on keeping the same vehicle for next few yrs. (And need to drive distances in inclement weather)

Western Oregon weather is very elevation dependent.

I have to wear studs due to Ice Storms in Columbia Gorge, I have used them in the southern OR and northern CA passes, and appreciated them driving in coastal freezing fog.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:59 AM

Default studded tires

Thanks for the input...ya...I'll bring them with. Plan to keep the Liberty for few more years , hopefully, and I'm too old and decrepit to put my own chains on.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:03 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
I just bought a set of old steel Jeep rims and kept the snow tires mounted. It takes about 15 minutes to get the swapped at any tire outfit. I get tires at Les Schwab, and they will swap mounted tires (or rotate) for free.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:54 AM

218 posts, read 245,131 times
Like the others say keep them. Some people want Oregon to outlaw them because of road damage but I think it's worth the cost for public safety. I have a set for both of my vehicles.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:04 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbcobrn View Post
So in Montana, my studded winter tires are very necessary, esp. on my hill. When I move to Grants Pass , Oregon, will I still want to have these??? I will be living in a flatter area. Will I want them for passes into California?
If your focus is in driving to California, you might want them for the Siskiyou Pass and maybe a couple of places before Redding in a bad winter storm, but the problem with leaving studs on is that they are terrible dry pavement tires (really bad stopping distance), do a lot of road damage and wear quickly. If you were driving to, say, Sacramento, that would be 330 miles one way, for which you could use the studs maybe 15-25 miles max. Once you get south of the pass, CalDOT does a good job of plowing.

If possible, it would be better to time your drive to hit the worst part of the pass at mid-day when the road has been plowed and is clear and leave the studs at home. That sort of goes for real snow tires as well, as they tend to wear quickly.

If you live in the hills around Grants Pass and you already have the studded tires, I'd keep them - on icy and snowy days ODOT/county/city plows or sands the main roads (they don't salt) but the hazard is always getting from where you are to a main road. You won't need them often, but you might need them once or twice a winter.

Like Larry upthread, I had mounted sets of studs and snows for my winter car and if I needed them, just pulled into the garage and swapped the regular all-season. Now that I live in-town, I don't have snows or studs.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 07-08-2019 at 10:39 AM..

Old 07-09-2019, 03:26 PM

Default studded tires.

Thanks everyone...I'm moving them with me..they are on own rims and Les Scwabs rotates on /off for free.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:14 PM

435 posts, read 454,222 times
If you already have them, keep them and use them.

To anyone else, you'll be fine 99.9% of the time in the area with non-studded snow tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon