Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:25 PM

26 posts, read 113,757 times

Advertisements

Oregon survived on federal timber subsidies for a long time and came to depend on the revenues. The gravy train has ended though and Oregonians are being asked to fund services from their own pockets. They are voting not to do that. The libraries in Jackson County, which includes towns like Medford, Talent and Phoenix, are closing. Ashland is also in this district but I'm not sure of the status of their libraries. A state which does not value its libraries is one to avoid if one is looking for employment in that area.

Look at every web site for every town you can find. Visiting the state is a must, must, MUST. Even if only one of you can afford to make the trip, it is imperative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 12:57 PM

34 posts, read 189,994 times
You all seem like you need to calm down a bit... which is funny coming from a girl whose post is entitled "Pretty Nervous Here." You all seem much more freaked out about this than I am. Did people cross the Bering Strait long long ago, look around, cross back over, pack up their things, and then cross back over in order to live there permanently? I'll be fine no matter where I end up... i'm just looking around trying to narrow my search.

Can't help myself. Here's a little reenactment of my struggle:

I come to the site looking for inside information
You all try giving me advice
As the younger generation would say, "OMG!"
Spoke about it with my husband
Final result, Let's move!

Old 12-30-2006, 01:04 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,051,201 times
Ummm. pardon me, but in your very first post, you said ...

"Any advice you could give would be very greatly appreciated!"

- So, we gave the asked for advice. And you have a problem with this why???
Well, we have tried to be helpful, but of course, you must do what you feel is right for you and your husband. Just in the future, please dont ask for advice only to turn it back on the people who were only trying to help you.
Tiffany

Old 12-30-2006, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
Ummm. pardon me, but in your very first post, you said ...

"Any advice you could give would be very greatly appreciated!"

- So, we gave the asked for advice. And you have a problem with this why???
Well, we have tried to be helpful, but of course, you must do what you feel is right for you and your husband. Just in the future, please dont ask for advice only to turn it back on the people who were only trying to help you.
Tiffany
Just to clarify a few points:

* I've been to Oregon, despite my wife's post to the contrary.

* I've moved to New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, South Carolina, New York, Connecticut, and Ohio; I spent less time in each of those states (in a few cases, no time at all) prior to the respective moves than I have spent in Oregon. I've never regretted moving to a new region half as much as I've regretted changing brands of dishwasher detergent.

* The statement "any advice would be greatly appreciated" is generally understood to be restricted on subject: in other words, "any advice on the issues I would like to know more about would be greatly appreciated." If you were to offer advice on how to encourage armadillos to mate, it might be interesting but not necessarily appreciated. I wouldn't think it'd be too difficult to either 1) supply answers to the questions asked, or 2) supply nothing at all.
Suggestions to check out the job market before moving, for instance, should be unnecessary for anyone capable of the intellectual equivalent of fogging a mirror. As my wife said, "I won't move until I have a job lined up." Lining up a job necessitates some small investigation of the job market, as some of you might have noticed.

The wife has been advised to conclude in future situations with a "Sensible, topical, non-obvious, and relevant advice will be greatly appreciated."

Old 12-30-2006, 03:34 PM

150 posts, read 799,379 times
"I'm a librarian, so I'm looking for a community that values education and literacy"

That was a quote from the first post, which is why I felt it might be helpful for her to know about the libraries closing.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:36 PM

150 posts, read 799,379 times
"I'm a librarian, so I'm looking for a community that values education and literacy"

That's a direct quote from the first post, which is why I thought it might be helpful to know about the libraries closing in Jackson County.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:40 PM

34 posts, read 189,994 times
In Jackson County? I was just looking at them earlier today. Didn't they just renovate all of their public libraries? Did they close some and use the money to make the others better?

Here's what I read today:
Thanks to Jackson County voters, who overwhelmingly passed Measure 15-6 in May 2000, work has begun on the Jackson County Libraries building project. New libraries have been built in Applegate, Central Point, Eagle Point, Gold Hill, Medford, Prospect, Ruch and Jacksonville while existing libraries have been extensively remodeled in Rogue River and Ashland. Construction is underway in Phoenix, Shady Cove, and Talent.

The $38.9 million bond measure is expanding or building new libraries in fourteen communities in Jackson County, Oregon. In a fifteenth community, Urban Renewal funds built a new library in White City.

Have things changed since then?

Old 12-30-2006, 11:04 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,051,201 times
All advice given was relevent regarding a move to Oregon and/or the current status of most of our libraries.
My stepmom donates her time to her smallish town library (approx. 15000 people). Many libraries in Oregon rely on people like her.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:02 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalispuppy View Post
Just to clarify a few points:

* I've been to Oregon, despite my wife's post to the contrary.

* I've moved to New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, South Carolina, New York, Connecticut, and Ohio; I spent less time in each of those states (in a few cases, no time at all) prior to the respective moves than I have spent in Oregon. I've never regretted moving to a new region half as much as I've regretted changing brands of dishwasher detergent.

* The statement "any advice would be greatly appreciated" is generally understood to be restricted on subject: in other words, "any advice on the issues I would like to know more about would be greatly appreciated." If you were to offer advice on how to encourage armadillos to mate, it might be interesting but not necessarily appreciated. I wouldn't think it'd be too difficult to either 1) supply answers to the questions asked, or 2) supply nothing at all.
Suggestions to check out the job market before moving, for instance, should be unnecessary for anyone capable of the intellectual equivalent of fogging a mirror. As my wife said, "I won't move until I have a job lined up." Lining up a job necessitates some small investigation of the job market, as some of you might have noticed.

The wife has been advised to conclude in future situations with a "Sensible, topical, non-obvious, and relevant advice will be greatly appreciated."
Gee, I'm sorry for trying to help... Being that I'm a librarian who has lived in Oregon & is considering a move back there, I thought my advice was rather useful. Maybe you're not referring to anything in my post, but still, it flelt to me like it did.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:05 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakker View Post
Yeah, some decisions can really make you nervous, and can make a big difference in the rest of your life!

Dave
I've seen that picture before, and it's hilarious... I've also driven through Weed many times (going from Eugene to San Francisco), and have taken a few pictures of my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon