Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 04:13 PM

315 posts, read 116,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManFromGlad View Post
Consider that Portland over 72 hours during the upcoming weekend may see as many unique ascents to

"100 degrees Farenheit"

as Seattle has during all of its recorded history!
Seattle may hit 105, so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 05:21 PM

85 posts, read 69,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
The same applies to Tacoma, so I'm not sure what your point is. It looks like Bellevue and Kirkland are also projected to reach over 100 degrees for 2 days. The heat wave will affect everyone in the PNW, not just Portland.

Put down the meth pipe and read the thread title.

And no, Tacoma will not know as many unique ascents to 100 degrees in 72 hours as Seattle officially has in recorded history.

Old 06-23-2021, 05:59 PM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManFromGlad View Post
Put down the meth pipe and read the thread title.

And no, Tacoma will not know as many unique ascents to 100 degrees in 72 hours as Seattle officially has in recorded history.
How did you completely miss my point? Lol

You brought up Portland's heat wave, presumably to imply that Oregon has worse weather than Washington. I brought up that Tacoma, part of metro Seattle, may also reach triple digit temperature for 3 consecutive days, based on forecasts. Tacoma is just as much a part of Washington as Seattle is, so I'm not seeing what you were trying to say with your original post.

Old 12-12-2023, 09:16 PM

89 posts, read 237,327 times
Far higher taxation than WA in all ways.
The Oregon DEQ emissions annually.
Not having to cross the stupid aged I-5 lift bridge that stupid OR and WA can't agree to a fix.
The Portland transport infrastructure is as bad as St. Louis, MO.

Plenty and plenty of gangstalking in OR from Portland to Klamath Falls, and the wholly useless milquetoast that should end the unending MK Ultra, that the Frank Church Commission failed to end.

Rife throughout WA state. Spokane is truly worse, yet right here near Bellingham, like next store neighbors, is the American Nazi party. Of course, plenty in Vancouver.

Used to reside in Milwaukie and Brookings.

Old 12-25-2023, 12:16 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Oregon is less crowded, and I'm sure housing costs less
(compared to the Puget Sound region of WA, that is).

But I'm curious about something -
there's a lot of complaining here on C-D about a "Seattle Freeze"
(here, for example: http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...nt-move-3.html)

So, is there also a Portland Freeze?

Old 12-25-2023, 02:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Oregon is less crowded, and I'm sure housing costs less
(compared to the Puget Sound region of WA, that is).

But I'm curious about something -
there's a lot of complaining here on C-D about a "Seattle Freeze"
(here, for example: http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...nt-move-3.html)

So, is there also a Portland Freeze?
More of a PNW thing. Settled by people seeking independence. Continuing to want their own space and freedoms.

Urban areas and very remote regions amplify the polarization.

Seattle is able to remain more cold, because it's strictly business.
Portland has a stronger 'community' vibe. But they are each very different communities.

It's so much easier in Portland to be homogeneous (smaller, easier to get around, more diversify in neighborhoods (especially wealth). Far less stratification in Portland.

Rural Oregon is very nationalistic, (regional pride and support of state)

Washington populace is a whole lot less focused on itself.

Kinda like... Are you Whole Foods / Trader Joe's/ New Seasons shopper? Or will Fred's, QFC,/ Safeway do for 90% of your needs? No wrong answer, just different strokes. A WA neighbor or friend could not care less. An Oregon friend may very much want to know why are you not shopping where they shop! 'Group think', is very important to many in Oregon. In Washington... It's acceptable to think and act independent of the group. Each have their merit. You chose which suits your desired needs.

(While you still have the freedom to make such a choice)

Old 01-26-2024, 01:40 PM

298 posts, read 341,232 times
Default Oregon vs washington

Each state has beautiful parts, and some very desirable cities and towns.
Washington, for the most part has more heavy industry and military bases. Oregon is more agricultural state overall.
Oregon has no sales tax (Washington does, I think it's around 7%?)
Both States have problems with homelessness. Both have issues in their large cities (Seattle/Portland) with crime.

Washington has the advantage that once you're North of Seattle you can visit British Columbia, which is amazing. Oregon, well you have to drive much more to go anywhere of significance outside the state.

Both eastern Oregon and Eastern WA have far-right political extremists. Coastal areas are more liberal.
Washinton gets more rain. If you think days are short in Eugene, try living in Bellingham.

When I cross from OR to WA, I thought Oregon was nicer visually. Like WA seemed more trashy, less ordinances about blight, building appearance and signs. Way more strip malls. But again, I think it's more useful to head to head compare the towns you're considering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon