Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 12:11 PM

22 posts, read 31,183 times

Advertisements

Just as the title describes I am curious about the hidden costs or drawbacks of living in a houseboat in Portland along the Columbia river. Any information first or second hand would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by NesterToo; 07-20-2020 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 01:31 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
One drawback is accessibility. The river rises and falls and some of the ramps down to the docks can be steep and slippery at times. So it isn't a good option for anyone not reasonably spry and who doesn't mind carrying everything by hand up and down ramps and docks. You don't get a 2-car garage with a houseboat. Depending on the location, parking may be a long way from your houseboat. But they also aren't in convenient walkable neighborhoods where you can do all your local shopping and errands on foot so you still need the car unless you are a hard core bike commuter. It would not be the right lifestyle for someone in a wheelchair or who can't carry armfuls of groceries up and down slippery ramps.

That said, if I was going to do it, I'd find someplace more secluded than the sea of houseboats that are right down along Hayden Island

Like Kadow's Marina in Vancouver: https://www.columbian.com/news/2019/...aradise-found/

I have no idea how it works financially compared to owning/renting on land.

Old 07-20-2020, 02:26 PM

Thanks texasdiver - this is about what I had thought but wanted to confirm. Yeah for these reasons it wouldn't be for us - just trying to think outside the box for our next move. Not sure where to go - it seems like we can't get there from here ;-)

Old 07-20-2020, 03:33 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
Actually there is a houseboat marina with 2-car garages on Multnomah Channel.

Floating homes require a lot of maintenance but they can be delightful during the summer. And really nice floating homes aren't cheap. Note that you can't get a regular mortgage (or you couldn't when I looked years ago), they are considered personal property.

I wouldn't choose a floating home on the Columbia in Portland metro. Those downstream from PDX get fuel and noise from aircraft, those upstream are in the Columbia Gorge wind tunnel. Were I shopping I would look along the Multnomah Channel. And remember that if you are a renter you must get a lease from the marina owner (just because you buy a floating home doesn't mean you can stay there).

Old 07-20-2020, 03:39 PM

Thanks Nell Plotts - all very good information. Didn't realize couldn't get a mortgage. I think the idea is definitely out now :-)

Old 07-20-2020, 04:38 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
Remember that was years ago. Things may have changed. Talk to a lender.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:09 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesterToo View Post
Thanks Nell Plotts - all very good information. Didn't realize couldn't get a mortgage. I think the idea is definitely out now :-)
You can probably get some kind of loan but it might need to be a boat loan which is going to have higher interest rates and less favorable terms (not subsidized by the Fed government).

https://www.lendingtree.com/boat/how...e-a-houseboat/

Old 07-21-2020, 02:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
If you have good credit, my credit union will loan you just about any amount for any reason, and current rates are very reasonable.

Don't forget moorage fees. A full utilities berth at a marina will run you several hundred bucks a month, assuming you can find one. Insurance rates are pretty high too.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:34 PM

Thanks Larry - yes we have excellent credit but in re-thinking the idea I think I can say it's dead in the water? LOL! Mostly for the reasons that texasdiver listed - stated the obvious reality of it, but I also wondered about fees and so thanks for bringing that up.

Really, this was just a pandemic pondering of wanting to leave where we are but just haven't a clue where or what it would look like. If we're going to end up in just another suburban neighborhood with a yard to take care of and nothing special to look at then we might as well stay where we are since it's very economical and the house is nice. We will continue to look and think...

Old 07-23-2020, 05:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
And maintenance.... Lots of maintenance.

We have early retired friends who live at Ridgefield and west Hayden Marinas
Seems reasonable for empty nesters and those who like to kayak and boat daily.

Sellwood and upriver could be nice quieter spots, away from current, wave, weather of Columbia River.

Could be dangerous and stressful with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: