Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 12:40 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not sure the OP had thought of all the potential options, before posting. Their first thread was in the CA forum. There, someone suggested also considering OR, so this OR thread resulted. So WA is worth considering, potentially. But BC is in a foreign country. I don't think one can visit for longer than 6 months, without a visa. Canadians in the international forums here have been pretty adamant about that. It's tough to qualify for a residency visa.

But Quinault is an interesting idea. Or Makah would also be a possibility, though Quinault is closer to Oregon. The advantage to WA would be: no income tax. We don't know what OP's income source would be. Also not sure about proximity to a natural grocer or co-op around Quinault, etc.
Quinault is on the border of tribal lands and Olympic NP. So, its not a likely place to buy old growth property. Like you've mentioned in other places, unfortunately greed from the logging industry wiped out much of the old growth forests unless they were declared 'off-limits' such as those within national parks. And even those remaining are quite limited. The Hoh Rainforest has some old growth left.

Regarding the OP's notion and goals, he/she hasn't been back to respond. So, much of this is just speculation regarding how far north they would want to go. Or if 'old growth' is really a requirement in the literal sense vs. very large, old second growth redwood/sequoia trees. Maybe western red cedars or other magnificent large trees would suffice? We really don't know. So, we color in the lines through our own lenses and preferences.

Whether the OP ever returns or not, I think it's still an interesting question to consider since others may be looking for something similar.

Another interesting point about Old Growth redwoods is the sheer amount that were clear cut even within the national parks.

"Did you know that most of the forests in our Parks do not have healthy, ancient redwood trees? Only a third (40,000 acres) of the landscape in Redwood National and State Parks (RNSP) has old-growth redwood forests." If anyone has walked among those giants, its quite an amazing sight to take in.
-- Second-Growth Forests and Restoration Thinning

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 01:13 PM

7,515 posts, read 3,231,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Quinault is on the border of tribal lands and Olympic NP. So, its not a likely place to buy old growth property. Like you've mentioned in other places, unfortunately greed from the logging industry wiped out much of the old growth forests unless they were declared 'off-limits' such as those within national parks. And even those remaining are quite limited. The Hoh Rainforest has some old growth left.

Regarding the OP's notion and goals, he/she hasn't been back to respond. So, much of this is just speculation regarding how far north they would want to go. Or if 'old growth' is really a requirement in the literal sense vs. very large, old second growth redwood/sequoia trees. Maybe western red cedars or other magnificent large trees would suffice? We really don't know. So, we color in the lines through our own lenses and preferences.

Whether the OP ever returns or not, I think it's still an interesting question to consider since others may be looking for something similar.

Another interesting point about Old Growth redwoods is the sheer amount that were clear cut even within the national parks.

"Did you know that most of the forests in our Parks do not have healthy, ancient redwood trees? Only a third (40,000 acres) of the landscape in Redwood National and State Parks (RNSP) has old-growth redwood forests." If anyone has walked among those giants, its quite an amazing sight to take in.
-- Second-Growth Forests and Restoration Thinning

Derek

I was reading there are some huge sequoia's in Forest Grove, Oregon and also Forest Park in Portland. There is a redwood trail in Washington Park. So, you could actually just live up in the west hills of Portland near that area.

Like I said, living in the forest is not advised nowadays with the wildfire situation. I bet you might have trouble getting insurance.

Old 09-14-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I was reading there are some huge sequoia's in Forest Grove, Oregon and also Forest Park in Portland. There is a redwood trail in Washington Park. So, you could actually just live up in the west hills of Portland near that area.

Like I said, living in the forest is not advised nowadays with the wildfire situation. I bet you might have trouble getting insurance.
I've visited the redwood trail in Washington Park and its kind of a joke compared to the real thing. While I like WA park a lot for other things, this small section of redwoods I find very anti-climatic. The biggest redwood forest in OR in just south of Brookings near the CA border. Even it is rather small and underwhelming from all the reports I've seen. Here's a great source for redwood hikes: THE OREGON REDWOODS TRAIL

Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park is perhaps the most stunning near the OR border on the CA side. I like to vacation in Brookings and then visit the NorCal redwoods right next door. https://www.redwoodhikes.com/JedSmith/JedSmith.html

Sequoia National Park I find equally stunning for different reasons including the chance to hike through the giant groves in the snow being higher in elevation. Then they get dogwood blooms during spring. I love the white contrasting against the red bark.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-14-2023 at 06:47 PM..

Old 09-14-2023, 06:39 PM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
I was reading there are some huge sequoia's in Forest Grove, Oregon
I just looked up Forest Grove, OR. It's interesting. Very affordable properties. Here's one with over 1 acre of land, well treed with evergreens and decidiuous. It has its own backyard oasis, plus an outbuilding with guest space and bath for guests or possibly a rental. No old growth of course; you probably have to go out of town to find that, if reports of local old growth are true, but this certainly is a property with plenty of space for meditation among the trees. $850K

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

Old 09-14-2023, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Quinault is on the border of tribal lands and Olympic NP. So, its not a likely place to buy old growth property.
Well, as I mentioned earlier, I don't think it's realistic for the OP to hope to actually own old growth, so looking for properties with at least well-established native evergreens would be more realistic. Quinault not only has homes with patches of forest, some of them are on waterfront at Lake Quinault on lots of over 1/2 acre. And they're in the OP's price range. It's worth a look. There aren't very many places in Western WA where people can afford spacious lakefront properties.

Old 09-14-2023, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, as I mentioned earlier, I don't think it's realistic for the OP to hope to actually own old growth, so looking for properties with at least well-established native evergreens would be more realistic. Quinault not only has homes with patches of forest, some of them are on waterfront at Lake Quinault on lots of over 1/2 acre. And they're in the OP's price range. It's worth a look. There aren't very many places in Western WA where people can afford spacious lakefront properties.
Interesting, I didn't know they sold homes to the public there being so close to the reservation and park.

Here are a few which could work depending on preferences. The first one is two homes on ten acres in Big Sur for a surprisingly affordable amount. You could rent out one to help supplement the cost. The ocean and mountain views are amazing.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...19388967_zpid/

A few in the redwoods:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...18563477_zpid/

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...m=srp-map-list

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...6149709_zpid/?

And a gem of land in Carmel Valley where you can build your own home near beautiful oaks and redwoods:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...m=srp-map-list

Derek

Old 09-14-2023, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Interesting, I didn't know they sold homes to the public there being so close to the reservation and park.
Many reservations have parcels of land in fee simple for sale to non-members of the tribe. The entire lake is within the Quinault Nation's boundaries.

Those are some great finds you posted. Anyone considering living around Crescent City should pay it a visit or two, first. That's true of anywhere, of course. But especially C. City.

Old 09-15-2023, 03:12 AM

7,515 posts, read 3,231,998 times
Quote:
I've visited the redwood trail in Washington Park and its kind of a joke compared to the real thing. While I like WA park a lot for other things, this small section of redwoods I find very anti-climatic. The biggest redwood forest in OR in just south of Brookings near the CA border. Even it is rather small and underwhelming from all the reports I've seen. Here's a great source for redwood hikes: THE OREGON REDWOODS TRAIL

Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park is perhaps the most stunning near the OR border on the CA side. I like to vacation in Brookings and then visit the NorCal redwoods right next door. https://www.redwoodhikes.com/JedSmith/JedSmith.html

Sequoia National Park I find equally stunning for different reasons including the chance to hike through the giant groves in the snow being higher in elevation. Then they get dogwood blooms during spring. I love the white contrasting against the red bark.

Derek

I have only ever seen them at the Muir Woods. I think that was the 80's. I got hobbled in an accident in 2005, so, I barely do any walking at all...

Old 09-15-2023, 05:43 AM

4 posts, read 1,771 times
Default Always Keep Moving Further

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestDwellerCA View Post
Greetings!

My needs are few:

1) To live in a forested area with old growth redwoods and/or sequoias and/or pines.
2) Silence (or profound silence, other than the sounds of nature) are very important to me.
3) Electricity, water, basic utilities available (I'm open to satellite internet, solar power, well water, etc if municipal utilities are not available, but I don't want to rely on hauling water or using power generators).
4) To be within an hour or so from a natural foods/organic produce store and/or farmers market.

If it helps, you can imagine a forested zen-like yoga/meditation retreat type of environment as the ideal.

My total budget is roughly $1M but I'd love to spend less (and can spend up to $2M for the right opportunity).

I've spent countless hours on Google, real estate sites, YouTube, etc trying to learn more, but please forgive any of my ignorance; perhaps it is wiser to reach out on forums like this to see what I can learn from more experienced people. If there's another forum better suited to the information I seek, please let me know.
My two cents is....anything 35 miles North of San Francisco is worth looking at:

a) Get a van or small RV (smaller the better) and travel The Pacific Coast Highway one north of San Fran to Neah Bay, WASH.

During the summer, there is nothing better than this coastline. No real heat wave ever. The whole summer is cool and cloudy with breaking sunshine.

b) As far as Redwoods go, there's not a lot of that around. But there are a lot of big forests with huge Cedar trees. Try the other big tree stands to commune with. Redwoods are rare. Bigger isn't always better.

c) You might like Packwood and Morton, Washington, on the south east side of Mt. Rainer, if you can handle very small towns. The real great stands of trees in this area are public. Free dispursed camping for 14 days.

Once you explore the Pacific Northwest by van, you'll see all the amazing places not usually spoken about. Every state out west has surprising beauty.

Have you thought about doing The Pac Crest Trail or John Muir Trail? Best parts are far from major tourist areas like National Parks. There's pod casters showing you the whole thing if you got the time.

d) Keep traveling in a van...sleep on fed lands in the forests for free.

This is the best way to see and explore an area. The best places are far from cities.

You want small towns...if you want to meditate.

If your young and social, then...that's a whole different kettle of fish. Small towns won't work as well.

If your looking to date, you'll have to be in or around cities.

e) Always engage in vigorous exercise everyday. You'll be too tired and blissful to care about how expensive real estate is to buy, maintain, and own.

Too bad you're not a real serious practitioner seeking out lonely places: [url]https://the-wanderling.com/zen_dunes.html[/url]

[url]https://the-wanderling.com/awakening101.html[/url]

[url]https://www.angelfire.com/electronic/awakening101/ZenEnlighten01.html[/url]

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Pro Tip and breezey tips:

With TWO MILLION DOLLARS, you could be seeing the world!!!!.......the world?.....yes, the world...polynesia, South America...Asia...

I strongly urge you to go into a small RV or be crew on a blue water Cat for several reasons:

1) Forces you to detach from material items;
2) Forces you to meet and greet strangers;
3) Allows you to follow the weather, rather than being forced to accept your weather situation in a home;
4) You don't pay property taxes and there's little maintenence;
5) It's an adventure discovering new places and talking to the locals;
6) You can see the flowers bloom in the desert every spring...you can see the mountain ranges out west...you can follow the sun and warmth, or hug the coast for a cool summer.

7) Keep moving.......always keep moving just like the birds.

[url]https://www.angelfire.com/electronic/awakening101/ZenEnlighten03.html[/url]

Old 09-15-2023, 06:34 AM

4 posts, read 1,771 times
Quote:
I lived in Monterey for a couple years and never knew about the Orcas there (young and dumb).

I was on a large vessel to see the Orcas and they scared the crxpola out of me. I would not do it on a smaller boat. You could here them breathe. They are like very large sharks. They are awesome creatures.

But, the boat trip around the San Juans and the views back at shore the drop dead gorgeous mountain ranges. It's really unbeatable.

I have never been to Sea World. Everyone should see the Orcas out of NW Washington.

The Monterey Bay is also one of my favorite places in the World. I lived in Monterey a couple of years and in the Bay Area for a couple decades.
Wow.

What do you remember about The Bay area living?

Good?

Bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon