Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 05:14 PM

378 posts, read 1,571,750 times

Advertisements

Please look at #10.

10 U.S. Places to See Before You Die

By Andrew Harper

Many people have a list of places they'd like to visit before they move on to the next world; here are a few American suggestions of my own.

2. Whaling Museum, Nantucket, Mass.

3. Battery District, Charleston, S.C.

The 4. Madison Valley, Montana

5. Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Boston

6. The Four Seasons Restaurant, New York City

7. The Rothko Chapel, Houston

8. The Huntington Gardens, San Marino, Calif.

9. Robie House (Frank Lloyd Wright, Chicago

10. The Oregon Coast

Highway 101 along the Oregon Coast swerves through 360 miles of jagged cliffs, rocky outcrops, sweeping dunes and temperate rain forests.

Last edited by Waterlily; 08-10-2008 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: copyright issues-please do not post whole news items but leave a link instead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 06:18 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,055,711 times
cool!!! Thanks for posting! And Im all about agreeing w/#10.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:14 PM

411 posts, read 1,602,674 times
Excellent, Beachlover.

Only... The Grand Canyon definitely should have been included. The Four Seasons restaurant in NYC is pretty neat but I'd put it behind the Grand Canyon, for sure.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:51 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,721,810 times
yeah, it's a personal list, for sure. I would have listed the statue of liberty over the four seasons, and I've spent quite a bit of time in NYC.

The Madison Valley is beautiful--but there are lots of mountain valleys as beautiful. Ditto for the Robie House in Chicago, compared to all other american architecture. I'd say one really good Greek Revival vernacular farmhouse is worth seeing instead--more a part of our history. Or, look at the photos of the almost destroyed Greek Revivals in New Orleans.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:13 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,113,963 times
I suppose it rates so high for the variety along the coast. Frankly I'd put the Columbia River Gorge as equal or more compelling. If you are from the Northwest and accustomed to the gorge I don't think you can grasp the sheer incomparability it offers to those of us newcomers. I don't think there's anything like it in the US...and you have the variety of lush forest and then desert. I guess you don't have the string of quaint coastal towns.

The only other one on that list I've definitely been to is the Battery in Charleston. Definitely worth the visit; it too is a unique location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: