Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 05:44 PM

85 posts, read 237,343 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am a newly registered viewer of the site and love the info this site provides. I am 22 years old and have been living in Southern California all my life. I can honestly say that I am tired and over the SoCal nonsense. Its time to experience life and start fresh.

I am currently a paramedic in SoCal and am looking at a career in Law Enforcement as a Police Officer/Deputy Sheriff. Just wanted to get some ideas as to what departments are respected and looked highly upon within the state of OR, so that I can narrow my search and focus my research. The websites can only tell me so much, but hopefully I can get the inside scoop on what OR has to offer in the Law Enforcement Arena.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:18 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn911 View Post
Hello All,

I am a newly registered viewer of the site and love the info this site provides. I am 22 years old and have been living in Southern California all my life. I can honestly say that I am tired and over the SoCal nonsense. Its time to experience life and start fresh.

I am currently a paramedic in SoCal and am looking at a career in Law Enforcement as a Police Officer/Deputy Sheriff. Just wanted to get some ideas as to what departments are respected and looked highly upon within the state of OR, so that I can narrow my search and focus my research. The websites can only tell me so much, but hopefully I can get the inside scoop on what OR has to offer in the Law Enforcement Arena.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Maybe part of the deal up here for public perception, is due to news coverage. And Portland is bigger, so there is more police and crime activity that makes the news. And the wierd and outrageous seems to gather attention more than the good deeds. There are good Portland police.

That being said, if I were going to aim for law enforcement, I'd never work for the city of Portland. Give me any suburb - but not Portland. I just don't like that environment. I don't work in law enforcement.

Portland is a town I enjoy visiting, but am glad to drive back out of and come home.

Only talked to one Portand policeman a bit now and then. Our son's friend's dad. Not sure how much he enjoys the job. Was shot on the job about 5 or 6 years ago. But still at it. Lives in Beaverton too, where we are at. Never asked him if he tried to get employment in the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: