Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:27 PM

36 posts, read 129,122 times

Advertisements

Dear All,

We are living in Florida. We don't belong in Florida, however; we've not summoned up enough courage to make the move to Oregon like we'd hoped. Now that my husband has been told that the tropical humidity of Florida is wreaking havoc with his health, NOW he decides that a move might be in order. He works here at the local Sheriff's Department---he's not a police man. He does a variety of tasks, but they often need an interpreter for the hispanic population which he does well. Would that particular skill come in handy up there? I understand the hispanic population is growing at a phenomenal rate in Oregon.

Please, anybody, tell me anything about Oregon: from wherever you live there to whatever bugs you have to how great the fishing is to gardening in Oregon to well. . . whatever you've got.

I'm well aware that unemployment is quite high there---it's pretty bad here too. I'm told it is expensive, but after living in Hawaii, California and Florida consecutively---three of the most expensive states in the US, I think we can handle Oregon. We're not rich by any means, and we'd have to live in apartments for a while, but that's okay. I'm not bothered by rainy/dreary weather in the least. We're hoping for a cooler climate rather than six months of God-awful heat, mosquitoes and expensive air conditioning and high electric bills. We enjoy the outdoors a great deal, I can't go out in the summer here anymore for personal health reasons---SIX months is a long time to be consigned to the indoors.

So, throw it at me! I'm open.

Peace All,
the DragonLady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 04:17 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
Yes, bilingualism is a useful skill here, and it sounds like you have a realistic sense of the economic situation. Keep looking until you find a job; I think you'll like it here.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:44 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
It isn't enough to speak Spanish. Lots of well educated non-Hispanic young people are fluent in Spanish on the west coast - particularly if their parents are farmers or worked in agriculture. You need to qualify for an opening based on other skills, the ability to translate for Spanish-speakers would be a tie-breaker in a hiring decision.

Law enforcement does have problems from time to time communicating with people who only speak Spanish (or who claim to only speak Spanish). As you probably know well Cuban Spanish is different than the Spanish spoken in Mexico (where most of our Spanish speakers grew up), and many of Mexican heritage speak village dialects.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:38 PM

75 posts, read 241,902 times
Somewhat off topic, but since Im still learning about portland and or myself, this is the best I can do- I DEFINITELY KNOW that you would find jobs in Colorado. Their is a huge Spanish speaking population and your services in traffic court, court and other services would be needed. I know that the courts hire spanish speaking interpreters. Wondering if you might be able to call some of the government offices and ask - to find out about Portland. Or try the local gov website to see if there are job openings for interpreters. Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 07-10-2009, 08:40 PM

oh and the Paralegal field is growing as well - many jobs ask that applicants be bilingual in english and spanish. You could see if thats something you/your husband is interested in. Basically requires helping attorneys communicate with clients and doing the gruntwork of filing, typing and such.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:09 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
I recently had to find a person who could sign in Spanish. I cjecked the courts, State of Oregon and other entities ans there were none at all. I'm told it's a huge void.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:01 AM

36 posts, read 129,122 times
Wow, thanks all for the great answers.

I do agree that one needs to have other skills---my husband has been with this Sheriff's Dept. for years, so he does a LOT more than just speaky the Spanish. There are ALWAYS those that claim to speak only Spanish in hopes of getting out of trouble, however; Hispanics often have trouble navigating the 'land of law'---even the more educated sons and daughters often can't translate the importance of some issues or neccessary processes behind many of the legalities of matters.

We have a mix of Hispanic dialects here, but most are of the Mexican type.

You know, we used to live in Aurora, Colorado back in the '80's. We were right up the road from Fitzsimmons Army Hospital where we were stationed. If we have no luck on the job front in Oregon, it 'might' be a second choice---he's just not in a hurry to deal with the winters there.

Right now, we are looking at Portland---which has the college that my son would need to transfer to if we leave within the next year, or Corvallis because I like it's central location, and then Grants Pass---simply because it 'speaks to me'. (try not to laugh so hard.)

Thanks All! If you got anything else, give me a holler.
Peace All,
the DragonLady

Old 07-14-2009, 12:01 AM

It speaks to you, oh my you will fit in with all the treehuggers in Oregon. Im planning to be one of them soon. I also like to talk to my plants and talk about people who have bad chi and those who violate my personal bubble of space. Yes, I'm a granola hippie yuppie girl.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,847 times
Schools need Spanish interpreters, a step beyond translators. Interpreter training is available. In Oregon, you can look for jobs through education service districts or school districts. This is one of the few areas in which there is still hiring in the tough economy.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:06 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
It isn't enough to speak Spanish. Lots of well educated non-Hispanic young people are fluent in Spanish on the west coast - particularly if their parents are farmers or worked in agriculture. You need to qualify for an opening based on other skills, the ability to translate for Spanish-speakers would be a tie-breaker in a hiring decision.

Law enforcement does have problems from time to time communicating with people who only speak Spanish (or who claim to only speak Spanish). As you probably know well Cuban Spanish is different than the Spanish spoken in Mexico (where most of our Spanish speakers grew up), and many of Mexican heritage speak village dialects.
Very true. I speak Spanish fluently and it hasn't really opened up any job opportunities because there are so many bilinguals here already. Most law enforcement groups have at least one Spanish-speaking officer on staff. Your primary skill needs to be something else: health care, education, management, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon