Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,525 times

Advertisements

who is in faver of the new no top off law in oregon just makes more odd change i dont like it myself the gas atendents cant top off the gas tank http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...ons/icon13.gif http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:28 AM

351 posts, read 1,283,697 times
I don't like it...... But when you think of it..... when the gas pump clicks off it is suppose to be at it's safe level for being full (although that is all dependent upon allot of random conditions)

Also the attendendent does not have to spend time clicking the gas nozel (most of the time they are busy)

again I don't like the law.... but I see why it is there.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:14 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
In most newer cars there is a vapor recovery system (usually a charcoal canister) because the gas tank is no longer vented. Overfilling the tank can clog the recovery system which will no longer filter and store volatile gases, worsen gas mileage, etc.

That's the whole point.

I'm just glad I won't have to keep saying "please don't top the tank" anymore.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:29 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,237,333 times
Makes now even a longer wait for the people behind you in the gas lines as before I could just say "Round it off to the nearest dollar" to save the attendants time and footwork to go make change.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:12 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,822,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
In most newer cars there is a vapor recovery system (usually a charcoal canister) because the gas tank is no longer vented. Overfilling the tank can clog the recovery system which will no longer filter and store volatile gases, worsen gas mileage, etc.

That's the whole point.

I'm just glad I won't have to keep saying "please don't top the tank" anymore.
Exactly. My parents' cars (which are late model Toyotas) explicitly say in the owner's manuals NOT to top off the gas tank as it could damage the car.

Plus a lot of attendants would automatically top off your car and what if you didn't want to pay the extra few cents? I often just want a full tank and don't care about an even number since I generally use my debit card to pay for a full fill-up anyway...

Old 07-27-2009, 01:35 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,686 times
Gas stations nationwide have had "DO NOT TOP OFF YOUR TANK" signs ever since I can remember. I find it amazing that the "professional" gas attendants are just now getting the message here, and only by government fiat.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:41 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathon 11 View Post
who is in faver of the new no top off law in oregon just makes more odd change i dont like it myself the gas atendents cant top off the gas tank
I'm completely in favor of it. There is no benefit to the car owner in having a gas tank topped off. There are several possible liabilities (especially when you have to pay for the gas that dribbles down the side of your car and onto your tires). The only reason to favor tank-topping is to let the gas stations sell a little more product. It's a sensible law.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:09 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,822,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Gas stations nationwide have had "DO NOT TOP OFF YOUR TANK" signs ever since I can remember. I find it amazing that the "professional" gas attendants are just now getting the message here, and only by government fiat.
How else would they know here? I'm sure the gas companies have trained their employees to top off the tanks in the past... And in a place where having gas pumped for you is the law of the land, it only makes sense that the government further regulate the safety of it with this new law that prevents businesses from doing bad business (aka protects people from other people--the purpose of the state).

Old 07-27-2009, 09:20 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,787 times
I did not like it when they would top off my tank. It would just spill out and get all over the side of our car. We always told them NOT to top it off anyway so no big deal to us. I think to many people are just complaining about it to have something to complain about.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:29 AM

404 posts, read 1,338,788 times
I've always asked to not top off too and pump jockeys would top it off unless told otherwise. Unfortunately, legislators decided the average drivers should not be allowed to pump.

My gas filler neck is designed such that rain water would drain out the bottom, onto the top of upholstered wheel lining so it won't accumulate in the compartment. This idiot pump jockey decided to top off to the point until gas was pouring out by the neck and spilled a good amount. The gas dripped all over the tire well lining. Immediately, I noticed gas smell in my car and it took like a week to go a way completely. Ever since then, I've been telling them to NOT top off.

Since I don't try to stretch a tank of gas for 60 miles past the empty light, I'm glad this law took a way the ability of pump jockeys to exercise their discretion. I'd rather have a few extra pennies here and there than have this kind of gasoline spill getting on my car. If I feel like topping off and I spill it, fine, but if the state tells us that we can't pump our own gas, the idiot jockey exercises his discretion and make a mess on my car, that is unacceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: