Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 01:58 AM

404 posts, read 1,338,413 times

Advertisements

I've never got a ticket and of all these things, I think I might get my first one soon in the mail because of a Beaverton Police photo radar speed enforcement trap.

I understand that "red light" camera laws vary from state to state and in some state, it's like a parking ticket and does not affect your record at all. I don't know how it works in Oregon.

If I do have to go to court, what records should I request to see, and what questions should I ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 11:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Sorry you didn't get an answer to this. I don't know either but I would be Googling the Oregon DMV for the answers. At least here you can go to the 'Contact Us' page and get a phone number and actually have it answered by a human being. Don't try that in NYC.

H

Old 08-15-2011, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 16,147 times
I do not know either.

I do have a question on how it works in Missouri as well.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:47 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times
The tickets do go on your record in Oregon if you plead guilty. If you plead no contest, it's by jurisdiction if it appears or not. If you go that route there is also a chance of a portion of your fine being given back to you, again depending on the Jurisdiction.

BTW, it's going to be hard to fight tickets from the Radar Vans. They're pretty accurate, and they constantly test them. You might be able to fight it if there is a second car in the picture they send, but that's going to depend on how the radar and camera was setup. All of that should be on record, but it's usually easier to plead no contest and go from there.

BTW - if you're interested in how the vans work and how accurate they are, the City of Beaverton had one out last year during their August shin-dig showing it off to the public. (Along with their riot truck and a police car.)

Old 08-16-2011, 02:29 PM

27 posts, read 73,970 times
Out of sheer morbid curiosity, how was it a "trap"?

Old 08-16-2011, 02:37 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seand442 View Post
Because when you're going to fast, you don't see the sign 300 feet in front of the van warning you about it

Old 08-16-2011, 06:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seand442 View Post
Because he got caught?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:45 PM

27 posts, read 73,970 times
QUOTE=hamellr;20481778]Because when you're going to fast, you don't see the sign 300 feet in front of the van warning you about it [/QUOTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Because he got caught?
That was pretty much what I thought. Damn government taking over people's accelerators.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:18 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,449 times
I believe it's just as though an officer pulled you over and issued you a ticket. The tickets have to be approved by or issued in the presence of a sworn officer. Beaverton pays $15 an hour to retired cops to sit in the radar vans.

Our Legislature - looking to recover lost revenue - recently took away judges' discretion to lower fines. Appearing in court used to be a good way to get 1/2 off. Since that's now no longer an option, perhaps judges may err on the side of defendants when they show up in court, and simply dismiss the tix.

At least in Sherwood (Portland suburb) there is a Traffic Awareness Class option, which - IF it works the way California does - will keep this off your record.

Here is a story: I was running through Beaverton on my lunch hour when I saw a radar van, with the retired cop outside it, having a smoke. It was a 95-degree day. As I ran by, I asked, "Getting mighty hot in that cashbox, eh?" with a smile. The officer said, "What cashbox?" as I giggled and kept running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon