Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 05:19 PM

6 posts, read 12,190 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Oregon from the SE and have a job that is available in multiple locations. I am interested in finding a place that has possible work for my wife in speech path and is also in a good location for ww kayaking. That may sound unusual, but those are my top priorities for the next few years. The locations I can choose from are Portland, Salem, Bend, Astoria, and White City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 05:35 PM

15,581 posts, read 40,450,935 times
In Astoria you'd pretty much be doing ocean kayaking. Otherwise Bend has the Deschutes, Metolius and McKenzie rivers close by which have some whitewater. In Portland you'd probably hit the Sandy river, maybe the Columbia or Willamette for a calm kayaking trip.

In Salem you'd hit the Santiam River which is great clean water, or you could go down the Willamette as well. It's just slow water. Then there is Mill Creek and Yamhill which have some drops, and then there is some kayaking in the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness toward Detriot. There are no lack of rivers in Oregon.

Of those choices I think Bend probably has the best whitewater though since all three of those rivers have Class 3-5 rapids I think.

I would think Salem or Portland would offer your wife the best chance at having a job though. Bend's unemployment rate is like 15-17% or something. What population does she work with for speech path? Stroke patients, kids?

Old 11-18-2009, 05:41 PM

Right now she works with kids from 4-18 yrs but has worked in hospitals in the past with stroke patients. She especially likes to work with seniors.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:20 PM

Okay I popped on Salem Keizer schools site and they have positions open. My daughter is in speech therapy and I know her SLP said they can't find qualified folks to hire. I know Portland has the same problem. There is a shortage.

According to the Bend school district site they aren't hiring any SLP's. I pulled up Salem Hospital and they have one SLP position open in Dallas, OR about 20 minutes outside Salem. We also have Silverton Hospital in the area. Portland would have lots of rehab options from OHSU, to St. Vincent to Doernbecher's, Providence...

I can't find a way to access job listings on the Bend hospital site. I'd have your wife call to find out about job openings.

I know that those are your criteria, but all of these cities are VERY different. So my opinion is that the best kayaking is close to Bend (although I know nothing about White City since I've never been there). The best chance of jobs for your wife are Portland and Salem. Is there anything else you want in a city to help narrow down your choices?

Old 11-18-2009, 06:35 PM

The only other consideration would be proximity to an airport that has flights to ATL. We are used to a 1.5 hr drive to the ATL airport so something in that range would be fine.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:34 PM

Then that would be Portland or Salem. Bend would be about 3-4 hours to the PDX airport. Astoria would be about 2-3 hours depending on traffic.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:37 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,553,240 times
Coming to Oregon? Check these links for FAQ s before posting There are job links etc.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:46 PM

234 posts, read 719,108 times
Bend has incredible white water and kayaking opportunities. Central Oregon offers many lakes and rivers to explore, not to mention it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL out there.

I have never been to White City but from what I hear, it sounds like Bend should be your #1 choice and White City #2. White City I believe is a much smaller community but is located near some rivers.

If you kayak in Portland, please be careful and don't get any of that filthy water on you. They dump sewage into the water there, it's disgusting. I've kayaked the Willamette and Columbia, it's not fun because the water is so creepy gross.

I loved kayaking and canoeing in Central Oregon.

BEND BEND BEND BEND!!!!!!!!!!! You will LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Just make sure you have jobs lined up BEFORE you move, because there aren't many jobs out there.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:31 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
White City is pretty close to the Rogue River.

There is a VA Domiciliary there.

Best of Luck to you...

Old 11-19-2009, 04:35 PM

398 posts, read 1,318,659 times
Rogue River (near White City) and Deschutes River (near Bend) will be your two best whitewater rivers in Oregon. Their rapid classes range from I-V, although they tend to fluctuate based on water level. I believe the Rogue is a bit more technical, although both have beginner areas and expert areas, as well as unnavigable unless you want to die areas (for real). So what would that be, a Class VI? LOL Google Sherar's Falls! I have rafted the Deschutes many many times and it is a gorgeous river in the middle of the high desert with spectacular landscapes - Indian Reservation on one side of the river during a long stretch of it. The Rogue is on the western side of the Cascades and it is lined with evergreen trees. Both rivers/areas are gorgeous in their own right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon