Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:23 PM

7 posts, read 10,545 times

Advertisements

I went to Prineville once to buy a horse, stayed a few days and fell in love with it. It seemed very idyllic as a first impression. The people we dealt with were very trusting and honest. Took my word that we'd buy the horse without requesting a deposit. Turned out to be a real good horse, too. As far as the political / religious comments, they seem rather bigoted. I'm a conservative and have been treated rudely by liberals here and there but I don't apply their behavior to all liberals. I just realize that all groups of people contain some short-sighted shallow individuals who cannot see beyond their own ignorance.

The only thing I didn't like about Prineville was the water restriction. Comes with the desert, though. But it would still be high on my list of places to investigate for living for its beauty and friendly people. Property and state income tax is on the high side in Oregon, but they don't have sales tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 02:23 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,542 times
I have never lived in Prineville myself but my sister lived and worked there for more than ten years. She and her husband were city folk (her husband was from New York) who bought property there outside of town. At first, her husband (very liberal) was concerned about fitting in so he bought a pickup truck, and started wearing a black cowboy hat as well as a big belt buckle "to fit in". At the time, I thought this was hilarious.

Her hub was a bit of an intellectual snob and I expected to hear many stories from him about the simple, country, local folk. But no stories came. I believe they made many friends and everyone welcomed them and treated them respectfully. They loved living in Prineville and only moved due to a job relocation. Those were good years and I believe they miss Prineville very much.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:24 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I have never lived in Prineville myself but my sister lived and worked there for more than ten years. She and her husband were city folk (her husband was from New York) who bought property there outside of town. At first, her husband (very liberal) was concerned about fitting in so he bought a pickup truck, and started wearing a black cowboy hat as well as a big belt buckle "to fit in". At the time, I thought this was hilarious.

Her hub was a bit of an intellectual snob and I expected to hear many stories from him about the simple, country, local folk. But no stories came. I believe they made many friends and everyone welcomed them and treated them respectfully. They loved living in Prineville and only moved due to a job relocation. Those were good years and I believe they miss Prineville very much.
Most small towns love a "character," meaning anyone who is a bit unusual, so long as that person is not doing annoying things like panhandling, braying on about politics, or bragging about city life. I suspect that if he was meeting them halfway, they got a kick out of him.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:04 PM

716 posts, read 2,818,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am a pretty typical liberal in some ways (I take pride in paying some taxes to support schools, libraries,etc.), but I am not opposed to rural jobs, religion, hunting, fishing,etc. I am even glad to discuss how much taxes we should pay and what we should expect in return. Such discussions are the bedrock of democracy IMO. I disdain liberal or conservative politicians who make promises of service that that tax base cannot deliver. The knee-jerk entitlement or anti-tax mentalities seem equally brain-dead to me.
You sound more conservative then liberal!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon