Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,181 times

Advertisements

i am 22, and i want to live in Oregon... the cost of living is so much cheaper than California (where i currently reside). i dont know what city to move to though... i will be transferred from my safeway out here to a safeway in OR. i want to be close to a good church, but not to far from town (i love to window shop, and be around people)-but i dont necissarily need to live IN the city, just near it. can anyone help me out as to what city is better (and cheap) to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:43 AM

716 posts, read 2,817,739 times
Tillamook

Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Are cost of living, churches, and proxmity to a city your only criteria? And what do you define as a "city"?

Old 02-03-2010, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,181 times
city.... with target/ walmart/ convenient store... and no more than 10 or 15 min away from where i live... things like that... i'm currently researching Corvallis... but i am still in the beginning stages... any other suggestions?

Old 02-03-2010, 11:38 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Corvallis is considered expensive, but by California standards it may be cheap.

You can get cheaper in Oregon though (Junction City is one example). Just about every city/town with a population over 10,000 in the Willamette Valley has a Safeway. There are stores in southwestern, central and eastern OR too, based on the Safeway website. Also coastal Oregon.

Pull together a list of Safeway stores that you can transfer to and post specific questions about those cities. You'll be surprised at the amount of helpful information you will get. Good luck.

Last edited by jjpop; 02-03-2010 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-03-2010, 11:56 AM

10 posts, read 29,802 times
Wow, you just described almost every small town in Oregon!
There are so many 'bedroom communities' adjacent to the larger cities. I think youre best bet would be to decide what kind of weather, geography, and population you want.
There are so many different sections to Oregon and each one is pretty different from the others. Theres the southwest corner which is called the Banana Belt and has year round moderate weather. The Northeast corner on the other hand is a desert and has sun 300 days a year. Of course the coastal area rains more and central Oregon has 4 distinct seasons.
The West side of the state is more populated than the East. Here on the Eastern side we dont have any malls, and I dont even think theres a Target unless you go into Wash or Idaho. No real cities to speak of. Even my town is called a city and our population is less than 2000.
I live in Union and I think we are quaint (to a point). We dont have any stop lights, and there are many churches of various denominations. Children are safe here and I dont lock my car or house most of the time. Neighbors are friendly and theres a real sense of community which I havent found in many other places. We have a Safeway in La Grande, about 20 minutes away.
On the West side of the state I would say a quaint town would be Myrtle Creek. At least it was when I lived there about 20 yrs ago. Theres a Safeway in Roseburg, about 30 minutes away. Its a much larger city and the West side has the malls, Targets, etc.
Link to City of Union... City of Union - Union, Oregon
Link to Myrtle Creek....Myrtle Creek-Tri City Area Chamber of Commerce
Good Luck!

Old 02-03-2010, 01:40 PM

172 posts, read 537,111 times
Depends on what you like to do outside of work. Do you want to be near the coast? There are any number of nice coastal communities to pick. Do you want to be near the mountains? Maybe somewhere near Bend would be good for you - great hiking, skiing more sunshine than Portland/Eugene/Coast. Any of the suburbs of Portland would work if you wanted access to the city. If you provide a list of what activities you like people may be able to give you more specific recommendations. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon