Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:01 PM

499 posts, read 1,447,271 times

Advertisements

I, too, haven't smoked pot for decades but I've always been in favor of legalizing it. Makes a lot more sense than cigarettes. I've already turned in my ballot, Phil. And the legalization of marijuana has been overlooked by the lunatics in the Tea Party. Bashing gays seems to be a lot more fun for them this season. Besides the legalization of pot here in California, I had the privilege of sending Nancy Pelosi back to the house, Barbara Boxer back to the senate & Jerry Brown back to the state capital.
What is the latest on Oregon's legalization effort on pot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 04:03 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
What the heck! If adults choose to smoke pot, so what. I can see three groups who will be against this:
1) the alcohol distributors
2) The DAs who get funding for pot eradication
3) the drug cartels.

And one group in favor:
- the fast food industry.
It really IS that simple!

So, ah, ahem, why isn't Frito-Lay like way, WAY in support of this???
Or at least the Idaho Potato Farmer's lobby?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:46 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Tom McCall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Many people don’t realize that the bottle bill, billboard regulations, open beach laws, river cleanups, etc. etc. happened before trendy liberals moved here - back when Oregon was mostly populated by what these liberals now seem to consider backward people. They were actually pragmatic people who did things because they needed to be done and made Oregon a better place, not because they were trendy. Actually, people like this can still be found in Oregon.

Thank you for saying this Karlsch!

Especially this part:
Many people don’t realize that the bottle bill, billboard regulations, open beach laws, river cleanups, etc. etc. happened before trendy liberals moved here - back when Oregon was mostly populated by what these liberals now seem to consider backward people.

I was around during this era, and am very proud to be one of those "backward people".
Oregonians were "do-ers" back then, that loved and cared about Oregon, not necessarily allying with political parties.
I'm betting that the ratio of natives to transplants during the 60's and 70's leaned heavily in the favor of "natives" who called Oregon "home" and had a vested interest in the way things were run.
Now the ratio has reversed, and the "transplants" don't have that connection, and just talk crap about us backward long time Oregonians who resist poorly thought out trendy knee jerk changes.
They're just here till they move somewhere else, and just enjoy the superficial trendy liberal image without putting anything of real substance behind it.
Once Oregon was a very special, one of a kind place. Now when you talk about Oregon to people outside the state, it has that "trendy liberal" stereotype.
That's sad. We've lost sight of what's important. Instead of being activists, we are just jumping from one popular trend to another to give us identity.

To me, what happened kind of feels like a very well run small mom and pop company got bought out and changed by a huge corporation with too many middle managers that hide behind BS corporate policy to cover up their ineptitude and take forever to get anything done.

Getting off my soapbox, I think that marijauna should be 100% legal, with the same taxing and restrictions as alchohol.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-19-2010 at 11:07 AM..

Old 10-19-2010, 11:30 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
What is the latest on Oregon's legalization effort on pot?
We don't have full legalization on the ballot this year, we have a measure to add dispensaries to the existing medical marijuana system. I haven't seen any polls recently so I don't know if it's likely to pass.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:01 PM

758 posts, read 2,372,185 times
Actually Ron Paul would be totally in favor of legalization, as a purist libertarian. Um, Mike, it was the LIBERALS among Oregonians who made the bottle bill, beaches, etc. happen. Many of the ideas came up from the Bay Area.

Tom McCall would not receive the GOP nomination for Oregon Governor today. But he might well get the Democratic one.
Just sayin'...

Old 10-19-2010, 07:18 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Quote:
Actually Ron Paul would be totally in favor of legalization, as a purist libertarian. Um, Mike, it was the LIBERALS among Oregonians who made the bottle bill, beaches, etc. happen. Many of the ideas came up from the Bay Area.

Tom McCall would not receive the GOP nomination for Oregon Governor today. But he might well get the Democratic one.
Just sayin'...
Did I really deserve an "..."UM?..."????????????????
Not arguing with you at all.

In fact, I made no mention at all whatsoever about my political leanings.
I spoke to the general nature of the people that brought those things about.
I guess I used the words Trendy Liberal several times, but the emphasis should have been on Trendy.
Less on Liberal maybe; there are different shades of liberals as well as conservatives.

But why did you think I was saying it was one party or type of people or group or whatever that held sway?
Why does one political group have to get/take credit?

If I remember correctly, (and I was alive and cognizant during that time by the way,) it was more of an Oregonian collective thing.
Those were OREGONIAN things, not Democrat, Republican, Independent, Hippy, Green, Progressive, Left, Right, moderate type of things.
At least that was my impression at the time.
But, then I was a young man, way more conservative than I am now.....

Those things came about because we cared about our state and somebody had some good ideas, not because of our political affillations.
If you want to believe it was LIBERALS, Dems and the left that did all that, more power to ya!
One day you will start to get it. Takin' sides gets you nowhere fast, baby.

And Marijauna should be legal.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-19-2010 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Italic is the new apostrophe. Darn useful.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:46 PM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Um, Mike, it was the LIBERALS among Oregonians who made the bottle bill, beaches, etc. happen. Many of the ideas came up from the Bay Area.
The Open Beach Bill was modeled on the Texas Open Beaches Act, it didn't come up from the Bay Area: Texas Open Beaches Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-21-2010, 11:50 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
... it was the LIBERALS among Oregonians who made the bottle bill, beaches, etc. happen.
The Oregon Republican Party was once an activist, solution oriented group that discarded political labels in favor of actually solving problems. They weren't shy about acting for the general good, rather than the good of a narrow batch of special interests. Sadly, over the years the Oregon Republican Party has become just one more arm of the national Republican Party, and has lost its individualism.

Tom McCall made way for Vic Atiyeh, a Lebanese rug merchant. Both governors saw problems and acted vigorously to solve them. McCall wanted to save the natural beauty of Oregon for future generations. Atiyeh wanted to provide jobs during the worst recession since the Great Depression. I think he spent more time in the Far East than he did in Salem, and he brought home trade agreements and investments by the ship load.

In his own way, Atiyeh was as progressive as McCall, and we are still living with the contributions both men made. It's sad that the Republican Party seems to have lost its vision of the future. We need problem solvers like the Republicans used to produce.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:59 PM

716 posts, read 2,818,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Rose In Rain:

Federal Law supersedes State laws with respect to controlled substances. Federal Law enforcement has be turning a blind eye to medical pain relief in Oregon. Any state referendum to allow general public usage of Cannabis would be pointless, as federal law enforcement of recreational usage of marijuana by the DEA would still be enforced. Interstate travel to acquire marijuana would still be very strictly enforced by other states, even if just passing through from one state to another.

Here is the point: In a state like Oregon, which has a record of voting overwhelmingly for the Democratic Party, were to add a Cannabis Legalization and Taxation proposition to the November ballot, then in states and districts across the country which are "up for grabs" between Democrats and Republican would be barraged with adds that create a link between Democratic Party candidates and attempts to legalize Dope. Making it appear that ALL Democrats are in favor of our children and college students would face additional pressure to becoming drug addicts. Democrates are raising taxes and pushing drugs onto our children. Reality is not the issue, winning the election at all costs is.

You will just have to take my word that the Tea Baggers, and Republican strategist would gladly take advantage of such an issue to smear ALL democratic candidates for the House Of Representatives and US Senate with such a broad brush.

California is also circulating a petition to have a Cannabis proposition on the November ballot. If California and Oregon both have pro Cannabis propositions, then you get the "Left Coast" (ie Speaker of the House, and the largest state delegation in the House) could be now tainted with a non-issue of being pro-dope usage, which they are not. But, did truth and reality stop the Swift Boat attacks to tarnish all Democrats as being cowards in 2004?

BTW: do you remember the Global Warming E-Mail Scandal? Some hacker "prooved" that the entire Global Warming was made up science? Or how about Acorn voter registration effort was video taped giving a street "pimp" advise? And just how much air play did Fox news gave these items?

Well, there is now a report by Rachel Madow on MSNBC (not totally un-biased BTW) that both of those stories were expanded upon way over and beyond any rational intelligence review of the limited, very minimum amount, and loosely gathered specific evidence; but the facts were embellished and "enhanced" (read fabricated additional evidence) in order to make a non-news worthy story into hot breaking headline news.
The Rachel Maddow Show - Let them eat fake

Now, do you understand how a state proposition in Oregon and California can play so well in say Kentucky, Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Texas, Georgia, and Florida. And where the Republican party could use this as one more issue to nail the November election and retake control of the US House of Representatives. Over a nonsensical ballot measure that would have not effect on the Federal Law.

With either or both the House or Senate in control by the Republican Party, the options of President Obama to actually address problems and issues to end the Great Rescission, reduce the education gap between rich and poor, halt the income gap between bosses and workers where the bosses are paid a monthly salary equal to a workers yearly pay, and senior executives earn a Daily salary to a worker's yearly pay, and very senior Banking Executives earn Minimum Wage yearly pay in each hour.

In 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008 the national Republican party has tried to create what amounts to non-issues into emotional, 'button pushing', bleeding edge hyped to the maximum voter awareness issues in order to sway the middle-of-the-road voters.

I could go on and on....
There is no poll that I am aware of which would show there is anywhere near enough Oregon state voter support that a pro Cannabis ballot measure would win. Most likely the measure would fail by something like 60 to 65 % against passage. For the sake of just getting the measure on the November ballot, you would risk the control of the House of Representatives being controlled by the Democrats?

Phil
^^^ I think he already started implementing the Cannabis act

Old 10-21-2010, 04:28 PM

499 posts, read 1,447,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The Oregon Republican Party was once an activist, solution oriented group that discarded political labels in favor of actually solving problems. They weren't shy about acting for the general good, rather than the good of a narrow batch of special interests. Sadly, over the years the Oregon Republican Party has become just one more arm of the national Republican Party, and has lost its individualism.

Tom McCall made way for Vic Atiyeh, a Lebanese rug merchant. Both governors saw problems and acted vigorously to solve them. McCall wanted to save the natural beauty of Oregon for future generations. Atiyeh wanted to provide jobs during the worst recession since the Great Depression. I think he spent more time in the Far East than he did in Salem, and he brought home trade agreements and investments by the ship load.

In his own way, Atiyeh was as progressive as McCall, and we are still living with the contributions both men made. It's sad that the Republican Party seems to have lost its vision of the future. We need problem solvers like the Republicans used to produce.
You are so right. The Tea Party Republican party & the current policy-of-no crop of Republicans now in DC are an entirely different animal from Tom McCall & Mark Hatfield's party. Too bad and our country's worse off because of it. Those were the only two Republicans I ever voted for. I could never imagine myself voting for a Republican today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: