Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 04:17 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strudel42 View Post
We are contemplating a rental in Corvallis on 9th St. near Borders. Does anyone have any feedback about living in the area? How is traffic on 9th? It seemed fairly quiet when we visited, but visiting and living somewhere are different balls of wax! Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Relative to the rest of Corvallis, 9th is pretty busy--it is the main N-S thoroughfare in town, and probably the most heavily commercial street (although down near Borders it is much less commercial than north of Borders).

I think it is probably the noisiest street in a town that is generally really quiet. Not really the kind of street where you want the kids playing ball on the front sidewalk, nor do you want to be backing out of a driveway onto 9th.

If these things aren't a concern, it's actually a pretty central location. You are walking or easy biking distance to downtown, OSU, and Fred Meyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 11:09 AM

836 posts, read 1,493,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Relative to the rest of Corvallis, 9th is pretty busy--it is the main N-S thoroughfare in town, and probably the most heavily commercial street (although down near Borders it is much less commercial than north of Borders).

I think it is probably the noisiest street in a town that is generally really quiet. Not really the kind of street where you want the kids playing ball on the front sidewalk, nor do you want to be backing out of a driveway onto 9th.

If these things aren't a concern, it's actually a pretty central location. You are walking or easy biking distance to downtown, OSU, and Fred Meyer.

We don't have kids and parking would be off an alley.

Still concerned about the noise factor, though. It's really becoming ridiculously hard, trying to find anything that suits us -- I don't think our criteria are unusual or necessarily difficult to meet. We are not asking for a hot tub, bidet, private arboretum and a butler to come with the rental, for crying out loud. Maybe in a few weeks some more places will open up, although really wanted to have a place lined up by now. Hmmmm. Moving is hard. It's been so long since I did it that I seem to have forgotten that important fact of life.

Sorry, everyone... that was a vent.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:46 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Things should loosen up a little bit after the students leave. By mid-June I'd bet there will be more rentals on the market.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:24 PM

42 posts, read 141,785 times
I dont live in the downtown area so Im not sure, I live closer to LBCC and the trains pass by all the time. We've lived here for about a month now and they do not wake me up. But I am a heavy sleeper. But they are loud here and it's entertainment for my 2 year old. When Im in downtown I barely notice a train going by infact I cant remember seeing one go by when Im in the downtown core. I hear and see then more in the West and SE end of town. I could be wrong though since we haven't been here for that long.

What are your deciding factors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors_oriented View Post
Thanks for that feedback.

Are the trains generally not very noticeable in the downtown area, or is there a lot of railroad noise downtown? I've only been in downtown Albany for brief periods during a visit, but I never heard a train when I was there. I'm most concerned about train noise at night... don't want to move downtown and be woken every night!

Old 05-17-2010, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 13,032 times
Thanks, AntiguanMom. That does help.

I love the old buildings downtown, the local stores, and the proximity to the riverfront. I just need to be able to sleep through the night, if I move there! I'm going to contact Amtrak for more info on schedules, next. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon