Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:09 AM

6 posts, read 14,106 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Allysum. I was born in Wisconsin and I am trying to organize an organic farming community in a warmer area (someplace that has at least 4 warm months out of the year). I am visiting OR soon...and all I've heard are great things about Williams, OR

I am currently saving money to purchase land. I am not sure how long it will take me until I am ready to purhase land; however, I would like to know I am looking in the right area.

I would like some advice (opinions) on my search for great organic farming soil. The agriculture business is new to me, but I am determined to make this community work.

Is there enough land to go around in Williams, OR (I am interested in 5 acres).

Please (!) help me.

--Allysum

Email: AllysEcho@yahoo.com

Last edited by Allysum; 06-08-2009 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: gathered more inormation on my question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Land here is expensive. You might want to think about how much you can afford in the near future and then look in areas where you can afford.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:34 AM

Default Silverfall

Thank you Silverfall...of course I would...just wanted to make sure the land was worthy of my saving

Old 06-08-2009, 09:37 AM

Silverfal, aproximately how much is the land by acre??

Old 06-08-2009, 07:19 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times
Williams is a very isolated area, so land is probably less expensive there due to its remoteness. Since the Applegate Valley is becoming a major wine-producing area, though, you're probably not going to find the kind of land that is in high demand (south facing slope with good loamy soil) if you're not able to pay for it. Bottom land in a frost pit with clay might be what you end up with if you're on a budget.

The big problem in southern Oregon tends to be water availability. With just 19" of rain a year, there often isn't enough to go around by August or September when the snow pack on Mt. Ashland has long since melted. Remember, this isn't like the Midwest where rainfall comes in spring and summer. This is a Mediterranean climate: rain comes in winter. Summers are hot and dry and any farming will be entirely dependent on irrigation water. Making sure you have a well that produces acceptable quality water and won't go dry at the beginning of August can be more of a challenge than the land itself. There are plenty of water-imporverished "bargains" out there to snare the unwary.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:23 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allysum View Post
Silverfal, aproximately how much is the land by acre??
In my area it is on average $58,833 per acre so far in 2009 for those smaller "hobby farm" sized parcels.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 PM

Thank you both Steve and Silverfall--you have been the most of help. Live Long and Prosper---Ally

Old 02-15-2010, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,264 times
Dear allysum, what is new with your search for your dream farm in Oregon, I am from CA, and have the same dream, to start a community or join one, here is my email - [email]ara9630@gmail.com[/email]

Old 06-19-2010, 09:34 AM

15 posts, read 89,279 times
Where can I go to farm(in the Northwest) and not be dependent on power to irrigate. I did not think about the Winter rain. Thank you. That was very helpful.

I'm looking to "head to the hills" in a safe, well-watered, not-to-cold, remote place to farm away from the big cities. Oregon, Washington, Northern California?....someplace where I don't have a battle over water and with people....

Old 06-19-2010, 07:28 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safeinthestorm View Post
Where can I go to farm(in the Northwest) and not be dependent on power to irrigate.
Either I don't understand your question, or you don't understand the harsh realities of West Coast agriculture. Crops need water during the growing season, right? The West Coast doesn't get precipitation during the growing season, only during the winter...residual soil moisture might get you through late spring. All the surface water rights in the West were long ago allocated (many would say over-allocated) with layer upon layer of claimants whose rights are junior or senior to all the other rights. So...somehow or another you're going to need to get winter rainwater that is now stored as groundwater in an underground aquifer up to the surface - a distance of say, 50-200 vertical feet. So you you'll have to pump it out of the ground, no? How do you propose to accomplish that without power? Do you think you're going to find land at the base of some kind of a waterfall where you can just illegally divert the stream flow on to your own property? No mortgage company in the world is going to give you a loan to buy land without a certified well that tests at 5 gpm or better.

Are you going to sell your produce, or engage in subsistence agriculture? If you go to a remote place away from the cities, the cost of transporting your goods to market will likely exceed your profit margin. I would adjust your dream to something more realistic. The 19th century is way behind us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon