Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2007, 10:45 AM

5 posts, read 15,000 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Orlando from The Melborne/Satellite Beach area. I am looking in zip codes 32837,32824, 32828. How are these areas? I will be working in Ocoee/Pine Hills area is this a bad commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 07:23 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,796,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB224 View Post
I am moving to Orlando from The Melborne/Satellite Beach area. I am looking in zip codes 32837,32824, 32828. How are these areas? I will be working in Ocoee/Pine Hills area is this a bad commute?
You would probably take the 408. Yes, traffic in Orlando is crazy, but they have been working on the 408 for along time and if you don't have an epass you need to invest in one. If you are a regular 8-5'r I'd say you could be looking at 45-60 minutes on a good day.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:26 PM

Thanks so much for your post I was begining to think nobody would reply. Actually, I am not an "8-5er" as I am a restaraunt manager and work crazy hours. I will probably be driving either at 10am or 2pm so I was hoping traffic would be better at this time. Do you know anything about the areas I listed that I am thinking of moving to? they seem to be near the Flamingo area...? East of 1-4 and just south of 528? Are they "good areas"?

Old 06-28-2007, 07:40 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,206,883 times
If you are going to be a restaraunt manager in the Pine Hills area, you better be careful! The likelihood of finding a gun in your face or in the face of some of your employees working in that area is way more than the national average. You should check with your boss and see if he/she will let you carry a firearm in the workplace if you have a conceal carry permit.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:38 AM

16 posts, read 91,581 times
Default High Crime Rate in Orlando/Orange County

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB224 View Post
You're moving from an area (Melbourne) that has a crime rate almost equal to the National Average. Orange County-Orlando, however, has a crime rate that is FIVE TIMES the National Average. Pine Hills is also a hub of crime activity in the Orlando area, due to a depressed economic situation. They have a high percentage of unemployment, and a huge percentage of families living below the poverty line. Ocoee, by contrast is a much different city - much higher income levels, higher median home prices, much lower % living below the poverty line and much lower crime rates. So, clarification on your employment location might be important for you.

Regarding your residence - have you considered moving more WEST? Maybe Windermere, Winter Garden or even Clermont? My husband and I used to live in Clermont and he commuted to East Orlando for work. We felt it was well worth it to live in the Clermont area. Clermont to Pine Hills commute time should be no more than 20-25 minutes. You get more for your money and the area is up and coming with great new shopping, etc. Not to mention the beautiful rolling hills and lakes. I'd definitely suggest a day trip over to check it all out. You don't specify your family situation (spouse, children) and those factors might weigh heavily on your decision. Also, you didn't specify whether your intent was to rent or purchase. If purchasing, I would also suggest a stronger look at Lake County - taxes, home prices, crime rates, etc are all preferrable in my opinion. Winter Garden and Windermere are still in Orange County - but in my personal opinion - are much better than the areas of Orlando you were asking about.

A lot depends on your personal situation and your priorities though... your family situation, your housing preference, what you like to do and be close to for your free time, etc. Take time to check it all out, and make as many visits as possible before you make a purchase or long term lease committment. Worst case, I recommend signing as short a lease as you can until you're sure you've picked the right place.

Best of luck to you...

Old 06-28-2007, 12:25 PM

Thanks for all the info. Its just my husband and I moving we have no kids. We will be renting a house as we own our house in Satellite Beach & will be renting it out. We are excited to move to Orlando because of the career oppurtunity and all the things to do. My husband likes to surf and all of our family and friends live in the Melbourne area so we are trying to stay as far east as possible since we will probably drive over once a week or so but I also dont want drive more than 20-30 min to work. I am told where I will be working is located on W St Rd 50 right next to a SuperWalmart and Bank of America and across the street from a Hospital and that its the last exit before the turnpike off of 408 W. I am really not familar with the orlando area and all of these areas and subdivisions is very confusing. Thanks for all your info and anymore is appreciated

Old 06-28-2007, 01:33 PM

131 posts, read 579,043 times
Default my two cents

Since you know the beach area.. you'll sure to be going a lot to hang out .. so I'd move farther west and try out Lake county (more rural maybe) or my favorite Oakland/Winter Garden. It's a quick jump on 5o or Turnpike to get where your going to work.

Your options are abundant but might be fun for you try inland and leave the coast for weekends and vacations. I like Clermont for shopping but not living (unless you get into an area not as oober developed) .. but that's my personal taste and may not be yours.

Good Luck. I am hopefully moving down this summer.. I have a job transfer requested and several interviews coming up and I know I am going to rent in Winter Garden and eventually build in Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando