Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:01 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,674 times

Advertisements

I'm not getting over into a lane right away that is going 55 mph when i am at 75 mph....it's just physics....i will get injured and the anus that wanted me to get over will be on his way to his concert without a thought of me being hurt because he wanted to get somewhere faster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 06:52 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,973 times
I'll buck up and admit it. I am occasionally one of those tailgaters. Here's my story.

First, let me preface this by explaining that I only do this sometimes on limited access highways; never on city roads. I am also not a "light flasher", and I always give someone pleanty of time to move over to the slower lanes out of courtesy. Nor do I ever tailgate anyone who is in the right hand lane(s). So, for purposes of this discussion I'm only talking about people who intentionally or stupidly hold up traffic in the left lane - "fast" lane of a limited access highway.

I've noticed that there are several "types" of people who do this. One, is the person who could care less that he's in the fast lane, he's going to do the speed limit and not move over for anyone. Basically, he's just being an A-hole to those who want to drive over the speed limit, or he's playing traffic cop. So, I guess I'm just an A-hole back to this type by tailgating him for as long as I have to, or until I can pass him in the right lane. I know that it grates his nerves just as much as his slowpokey driving grates mine, and I have no problem riding him real tight for a long time. I'll win that one every time - I'm an expert tailgater - even if he decides to slam on his brakes, I'm right there with him.

The other type is the cell-phone-slow-poke. He/she is oblivious to what is going on around him, just holding up traffic and driving like an idiot. Eventually, they look up in their mirror, see my big metal bumper shining in their rear-view mirror. I call them cell-phone drunks, because they drive just like someone who's smashed. They drive too slow, weave swerve, and if they drive like this in front of me while yapping on the phone, I'll tailegate them.

Then, there are those that are legitimately passing even slower people in the right lane. I almost never tailgate these people, as they just need to use the fast lane for a short time. On a rare occassion, when they are too scared to actually pass the slow-poke in the right lane, and "hover" at slow speeds in the fast lane, I'll tailgate them.

When I drive long distances, my average speed is about 80mph. That's jsut about the average speed of those who drive in the fast lane, sometimes 75mph, but never lower than that. If someone is driving faster than 80mph, I have no problem pulling over to the slower lane when I can and letting them by.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:57 PM

262 posts, read 937,542 times
Mostly, I agree with ThaSpecial. The speed limit is the law - why should law-abiding people be second to scofflaws?

I will say that I share Prichard's irritation with cell-phone-yappies who are swerving and putzing in traffic because they're not paying attention to driving. That's just insane - a very irresponsible thing to do. Oh! how 'bout this: the other day, the driver in front of me stopped on a small road - complete stop - to finish his cell phone call! What the ----???

I don't personally do the things that set you off, Prichard. I use the right lane of the interstate unless passing someone slower. The only exception is those icky left-lane exits, like the one on I-4 leading to I-95 near Daytona. Can't exit left from the right lane - and every single time, I get tailgated. Makes me see red - I mean good grief I'm in that lane for what? Coupla minutes max? Sheesh.

The thing that really gives me the willies is when I'm in the right lane of the interstate in my little puddle-jumper.... with a HUGE monster of a semi only inches from my back bumper. If I had to suddenly slow down, I'd be roadkill. Never could understand why they did that - it seems homicidal. But I read somewhere that many of the big rigs have all kinds of electronics and such on the dashboard, and the truck driver is dealing with all that - and probably came up behind me without realizing I was going more slowly. Now when I see a semi in the distance in my rear-view, I put on my hazard lights to get his attention. That almost completely solved the problem.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:50 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,373 times
I'm one of the intimidators. I won't say I'm a tailgater because I don't want to be at fault if the jerk in front of me hits the brakes just to show me he's in control. That's right, it's not the guy behind who is the control freak, it's the jerk in front who has absolutely no consideration for any fellow motorist. As long as THEY"RE in the "right", they aren't going to give an inch.

So, I intimidate them. I won't give away all my methods, but there are lots of ways to fill a mirror without getting too close or flashing lights, although I have used lights -- and an air horn toot -- on occasion. I drive a big Sprinter van, so I tend to fill a mirror anyway.

When and why do I do it? When cars are side by side and matching speeds identically across all of the lanes and essentially trapping me. I call them "magnetic cars" because they get next to each other and get stuck to each other. People, look around. The reason there are multiple lanes is so faster cars can get by slower cars, not so 2, 3 or 4 cars abreast can practice their parade drill. If someone comes up behind you, and appears to be impatient, regardless of what lane it is, look around. Are you and all the cars beside your blocking all the lanes? Then, give a little. Speed up a tiny bit so the log jam is broken, or, if you insist you can't go even 1 MPH faster, slow down a bit.

It doesn't matter whether the person behind you is breaking the law or going too fast or anything else; you are not the police (unless you are, then that's a different matter), and it's not up to you to be the enforcer. What is up to you is to eliminate a bottleneck that's eventually going to cause an accident because that person behind you is getting hotter and hotter at your lack of consideration.

So, if you see a big, silver Sprinter with a Mercedes grill come up behind you and fill your mirrors, know that I think it's your fault if you don't let me by.

I'll bet that surprised a lot of folks who think I'm the mild-manned old wuss...

Attached Thumbnails
Attention Orlando Drivers: People Need To Stop Tailgating In Traffic-frontview-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by pslOldTimer; 07-05-2007 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-06-2007, 06:43 AM

This isnt good......admitting to put yourself and other innocents in danger because you want to prove a point that someone should move out of your way "the very second" you are in sight........Now i see your side of it but in the car in front there could be kids or someone that just got out of the hospital that are passengers ....they have no control of the person that you are mad at....and cant tell them how to drive.....

You are willing to put kids at risk to teach a lesson....lol

Old 07-06-2007, 06:49 AM

what happens when 2 cars colide going speeds of 70-80 mph......this isnt good for the kids or innocent people around that are not even involved in the hostility.......

the only time you should get close is if the person is going so slow that it has actually jammed up traffic.....not when its just you , him , and another couple cars out there because at night when there are fewer cars it only means that you wont have to wait so long to get around the idiot who is driving 65 in a 70 mph zone in the fast lane....but if the guy is going 73 or above....just frikin have "some" kinda patience....he might have a baby in the back seat that u dont see...you never know what family you could destroy by proving a point......

there is no reason to hit another car and push them off the road if they are following the law.....of coarse....move over to the right if you are slower...but usually people going faster behind others dont wait or give a courtesy of slowing up to even see if the person in front can get over at that time...and if you tailgate then...you have a control and selfishness problem...

Old 07-06-2007, 09:01 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,973 times
We're not going to settle this debate of "Speed Demons" vs. "Speed Enforcers" here. Let's just take it to the highways, and let the best person win!

(Just kidding - bad joke, right?)

Old 07-06-2007, 09:19 AM

631 posts, read 2,450,846 times
Anyone that would deliberately tailgate, regardless of motivation, is IMO just as clueless and dangerous as the other. You're making a conscious choice that could affect someone very negatively. Be the bigger person. It's not your road either. The law is on the person doing the speed limit's side. Not yours. It's as simple as that and any further reasoning is void.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:23 AM

631 posts, read 2,450,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
I'm one of the intimidators. I won't say I'm a tailgater because I don't want to be at fault if the jerk in front of me hits the brakes just to show me he's in control. That's right, it's not the guy behind who is the control freak, it's the jerk in front who has absolutely no consideration for any fellow motorist. As long as THEY"RE in the "right", they aren't going to give an inch.

So, I intimidate them. I won't give away all my methods, but there are lots of ways to fill a mirror without getting too close or flashing lights, although I have used lights -- and an air horn toot -- on occasion. I drive a big Sprinter van, so I tend to fill a mirror anyway.

When and why do I do it? When cars are side by side and matching speeds identically across all of the lanes and essentially trapping me. I call them "magnetic cars" because they get next to each other and get stuck to each other. People, look around. The reason there are multiple lanes is so faster cars can get by slower cars, not so 2, 3 or 4 cars abreast can practice their parade drill. If someone comes up behind you, and appears to be impatient, regardless of what lane it is, look around. Are you and all the cars beside your blocking all the lanes? Then, give a little. Speed up a tiny bit so the log jam is broken, or, if you insist you can't go even 1 MPH faster, slow down a bit.

It doesn't matter whether the person behind you is breaking the law or going too fast or anything else; you are not the police (unless you are, then that's a different matter), and it's not up to you to be the enforcer. What is up to you is to eliminate a bottleneck that's eventually going to cause an accident because that person behind you is getting hotter and hotter at your lack of consideration.

So, if you see a big, silver Sprinter with a Mercedes grill come up behind you and fill your mirrors, know that I think it's your fault if you don't let me by.

I'll bet that surprised a lot of folks who think I'm the mild-manned old wuss...

And when did it become up to you to decide who should break the law and who shouldn't? Isn't there a reason for laws? Why is your reasoning and opinion more important than anyone else? Who is showing aggression and who isn't?

Is saving 5 minutes worth risking a life?

Flawed and terribly juvenile. Again no matter what reasoning - based on law - you're in the wrong on so many levels it's not even funny. That you're proud of it is what is sickening.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,725,665 times
Everybody calm down,please.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando